Chip Scoggins: Universities walk a fine line making boosters feel special

What a superior effort to what Reusse trotted out the other day in addressing the Miami scandal. Nice to have some fresh blood among the columnists, that is for certain.

Now I see our problem! Bruett is another guy with Wisconsin roots (he was born in Milwaukee). No wonder we can't get ahead!

Seriously, I've always thought they should punish the boosters more than the athlete and if the program can document that they've interceded against a booster, some slack should be given. The problem, of course, would be to determine what is lip service and what is real in the university's action in a case against a booster.

I'm nearing 60 and so I sound like a cranky old man telling kids to get off my lawn, but I just don't know what gets into people. Who the heck are these boosters and if they want to do something productive to get their name on a plaque or earn some "love," give the money to Second Harvest or a literacy program for poor kids? Why do most of these boosters turn out to be jock-sniffers?

Top Bottom