Chip Scoggins: Najarian might have what U needs in an athletic director

Nanne's answer went on for some time and he mentioned three or four highly successful AD's around the county who came to their jobs with zero AD experience. Two of the AD's Nanne mentioned were Don Canham at Michigan and Pat Richter at Wisconsin. Nanne further stated that the position description for AD's has changed. Division I college sports has become big business with extremely big budgets. He said hiring someone with a business background makes a lot of sense. He also mentioned the recent trend of professional teams hiring general managers with business backgrounds and no relevant sports experience.

Nanne said the most important attribute for an AD is the ability lead and manage people and make good hires. He added that since the AD will be out of the office and traveling a large part of the time it is important to have a second in command who handles the day to day administrative duties of the AD. In a nutshell, Nanne confirmed just about everything I said in my last post a couple of pages back. Believe me when I say that Nanne thinks Najarian is a great candidate for the job. You just had to listen to him.

Nanne didn't "confirm" anything you said. He simply shares the same incorrect opinion.

I tend to put a lot more weight in Nanne's opinion than anyone on this board. He probably has the most credibility of anyone with his past experience and current position with the U.

How could you not want this guy leading your athletic program??

pete_najarian_pool.jpg

I tend to put a lot more weight in Nanne's opinion than anyone on this board. He probably has the most credibility of anyone with his past experience and current position with the U.

I think you're entirely missing the point on how things work at GH.

I have no athletic department experience. However....
1. I played FB in 4th Grade
2. I went to the U
3. I have hired/fired people
4. I manage the budget at Spoofin's house
5. I have done fund raising (not athletic, but for elementary schools)

I just realized I am qualified to be the AD here by some definitions and lack of job descriptions. AD Spoofin has a ring to it.

Nanne didn't "confirm" anything you said. He simply shares the same incorrect opinion.

Nanne isn't incorrect on this issue because I have never been incorrect in nine years of posting my opinions in GopherHole. There is zero chance that I am wrong this time.

2. I went to the U

I just realized I am qualified to be the AD here by some definitions and lack of job descriptions. AD Spoofin has a ring to it.

Sorry, you are not qualified to be the AD because it is painfully obvious to most of us that while you may have done all of those things you just haven't done them very well.

2. I went to the U

Okay then, let's get it done! Calling President Kaler, do you read?

Sorry, you are not qualified to be the AD because it is painfully obvious to most of us that while you may have done all of those things you just haven't done them very well.

I'll give you I sucked pretty bad at 4th Grade FB. I've done alright on the other 4 tho. Maybe I can be a backup plan.

The Najarian ad on TV selling a product that is supposed to guarantee success in investing is close to selling snake oil as a cure all.

2. I went to the U

How big is your tongue?

Pete will be on the sports show tonight. Channel 23. 9:30 pm. 30 minutes of Sid sucking up, Good times.

2. I went to the U

Unfortunately for your candidacy, we just fired AD Spoofin.

Also, his record as a prognosticator is not very good either but given his short memory he will deny everything. 12-0 is his prediction for this year.:rolleyes:

Najarian filled in on the sports show and had a maroon and gold tie on. Definitely campaigning for the job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. I went to the U

Spoof, I'll give you the hometown vote :drink:.

But, I am strongly giving you a GH urge not to quit your day job yet!

Najarian filled in on the sports show and had a maroon and gold tie on. Definitely campaigning for the job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes he was, but Pete was more informative in the 10 minutes that Sid let him talk than the whole time the mega-tongue was here.

Yes he was, but Pete was more informative in the 10 minutes that Sid let him talk than the whole time the mega-tongue was here.

I agree. He is definitely preparing and researching for a potential interview.

I have no athletic department experience. However.... 1. I played FB in 4th Grade 2. I went to the U 3. I have hired/fired people 4. I manage the budget at Spoofin's house 5. I have done fund raising (not athletic, but for elementary schools) I just realized I am qualified to be the AD here by some definitions and lack of job descriptions. AD Spoofin has a ring to it.

If you get the AD job, will GH have an expanded roll in decision making at the U? We should get a say on everything.

If he hadn't played football at the U, would anyone even be talking about him? The answer, of course, is no. That's his sole qualification - oh, and that he's rich, which clearly means he's a good leader, and fundraiser, or something.

Trump for AD!

Make Gopher Athletics Great Again - Printed on a $2 Wal-Mart had, completely made in China with Trump's stamp of approval.

Nah, lets get Sanders for our AD!

Free admission for all home games with seating being first come first served. Forget those who have put in their time and payed their way for years. Unlimited free beer, soda and food as well for those in attendance.

Free admission for all home games with seating being first come first served. Forget those who have put in their time and payed their way for years. Unlimited free beer, soda and food as well for those in attendance.

Is the game at 11:00? Might be tough to sell out a MAC opponent.

At least we can all agree that sunny side would fill up first... or is it the shady side?

Deion Sanders for AD? Or are we talking Leon Sandcastle?

Top Bottom