Chip Scoggins: Leidner's passing game remains a concern for Gophers

I don't need them to throw more if the running game is working. Here's the problem, though -

When you run for 295 yards the pass game should be much more efficient than we've seen so far in the 10-15 throws they call per game.

Yep. Leidner is a running QB who can be dangerous throwing because of that. Take away his running threat and what do you have?

How quick your opinion has changed... I called Leidner out last year and you ran to his defense.

How quick your opinion has changed... I called Leidner out last year and you ran to his defense.

Again, Leidner can be a dangerous QB when he is free to run. Taking away his running ability means he isn't a dangerous QB anymore. My defense of him was in response to you calling him the worst QB on the planet (kidding on the planet part:p). I felt the same about Nelson. If you could morph Nelson and Leidner into a new QB, you'd still have the same player. I wasn't impressed by Nelson's game at all and I saw glimpses of something better with Mitch during a couple of games last season. Sadly, things aren't working out the way everyone wants as of right now.

Funny, I was going to complement you on restraining your concerns about Mitch so far. You've been kinder in the posts I've read.

Again, Leidner can be a dangerous QB when he is free to run. Taking away his running ability means he isn't a dangerous QB anymore. My defense of him was in response to you calling him the worst QB on the planet (kidding on the planet part:p). I felt the same about Nelson. If you could morph Nelson and Leidner into a new QB, you'd still have the same player. I wasn't impressed by Nelson's game at all and I saw glimpses of something better with Mitch during a couple of games last season. Sadly, things aren't working out the way everyone wants as of right now.

Funny, I was going to complement you on restraining your concerns about Mitch so far. You've been kinder in the posts I've read.

Unlike a lot of Mitch's detractors on here, I'd rather be dead wrong and watch him succeed than be right and watch him flounder. He seems like a great kid and I want to see him do well. Phil's character was revealed down in Mankato, so even though it would be nice to have an upperclassmen at QB with his game experience, I'm glad he's not on the team. Hopefully Mitch plays and puts together a good game against TCU...

Unlike a lot of Mitch's detractors on here, I'd rather be dead wrong and watch him succeed than be right and watch him flounder. He seems like a great kid and I want to see him do well. Phil's character was revealed down in Mankato, so even though it would be nice to have an upperclassmen at QB with his game experience, I'm glad he's not on the team. Hopefully Mitch plays and puts together a good game against TCU...

I wish Mitch could stop the rollar coaster ride. He thew a Joe Kapp ball to Jones and got bailed out by the defender. He then throws a perfect ball to Williams. Follows that with several over throws to wide open receivers (Maye and co.). He then looks like the Mitch of last year and runs for nice yardage. Up and down, up and down. Won't go far doing that. I'm holding out optimism that it is simply jitters and he will improve throughout the year...that is if he can actually play.

We have been slowly moving away from QB runs all year, to protect our starter. Why don't we go with a thrower vs. a runner. We know we can just hand it to Cobb & be OK... What we need is a gun slinger who sees the throw, chucks it and moves the chains. Instead we constantly place the emphasis on if the QB is "mobile enough". Who cares if he's mobile if he's throwing against defences selling out on the run? If u can't be efficient against 8 men+ in the box all game, you should be riding pine.

mitcheroo does hand off a clean ball. it is not easy going left right - sweeps and options and always getting away clean. he does have that down and it is not as easy as that looks.

I don't need them to throw more if the running game is working. Here's the problem, though -

When you run for 295 yards the pass game should be much more efficient than we've seen so far in the 10-15 throws they call per game.
In 2010, two teams played at TCF. The QB for one team threw for 81 yards. The other chucked it around for 373. The team that threw for less than 100 yards totally pushed the other team around. None of this should be surprising.

Top Bottom