Chip Scoggins: Humble beginnings the base for Claeys' success

Thanks for posting. Great read. Chip Scoggins is one of the few major daily scribes in this city that I will routinely read. A great columnist, with lots of good insight, takes, other little nuggets and who doesn't need to rely on snarkiness and other lame antics (here's looking at your Souhan, Powers) in order to generate clicks or to try and start a controversy where none exists.

Btw and an FYI: I noticed the online version of the story is 5 pages long. Due to that I am guessing this will be a feature/front page type of piece in the paper version of tomorrow's Minneapolis Tribune for those who subscribe to the dead tree version.

Chip Scoggins long profile: Humble beginnings the base for Claeys' success

per Chip:

In four seasons as Gophers defensive coordinator, Claeys, 46, has accomplished something previously considered unthinkable. He has turned a historically inept defense into the team’s strength. Claeys was nominated this season for a national award that honors the top assistant coach in college football. His $600,000 salary makes him the highest-paid assistant in program history.

Despite his success, Claeys has maintained his small-town sensibilities. He knew he wanted to coach football by the time he was in eighth grade. He was always realistic about his talent as an offensive lineman.

“Probably below average,” he said.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/286937921.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

"Claeys asked his siblings how they’d like to celebrate that night. They bought a pizza from Wal-Mart, a 12-pack of beer and watched college football at Claeys’ apartment."

I thought this was a pretty cool example of the type of guy Coach Claeys is and how he's true to his roots. Pizza, beer, and college football. Now that's a celebration!

Top Bottom