Chip Scoggins: Expect no shortage of talented candidates in Gophers' search for an AD

I'm not sure we want anyone from a big time established school. The guy from "The Ohio State University" has probably not convinced anyone to donate since he has worked there and the money just rolls in with no effort!

We need a guy or gal that can get donors to part with their cash and weasel the administration for more general dollars and for leniency of enrollment to improve the teams. I'd be happier with someone that has turned around an Athletic Department than someone who has maintained one.

However, I'm still holding out for Chuck Norris.

I don't have a dog in this fight (or horse in this race, or Animal A in Situation B producing Cliche C), but I just think choosing Goetz would be another example of "settling." It was a little different with Claeys taking over for Kill and although I thought was the right move given the circumstances, I understood others' viewpoint that the search should have been opened up. This is a different case. I don't think there's the urgency that there was with football job.

I'm not sure we want anyone from a big time established school. The guy from "The Ohio State University" has probably not convinced anyone to donate since he has worked there and the money just rolls in with no effort!

We need a guy or gal that can get donors to part with their cash and weasel the administration for more general dollars and for leniency of enrollment to improve the teams. I'd be happier with someone that has turned around an Athletic Department than someone who has maintained one.

However, I'm still holding out for Chuck Norris.

I'd counter with the people in this market need a reality check. If a man/woman who worked at a school like Ohio State comes in and says "Look the facilities and support for athletics sucks here compared to where I was from and that has to change". If it comes from a person who actually worked at a school that's been kicking the Gophers backside in revenue sports for decades, maybe the message would get through. I'd also prefer someone who comes from a school where football/basketball are a clear priority. I think someone coming from Ohio State saying "look, this kid would have gotten in at tOSU" carries more weight than Teague saying the same about VCU.

I don't disagree with your point about not having to go out and raise funds at an Ohio State or Florida in the same way you'd have to a Minnesota because the levels of success and general climate towards athletics is so different. I think that's the strongest argument against someone who's been at an established successful school that it's hard to know how they will react to trying to build something.

I just hope they get it right this time, as the next AD will have a lot of big decisions to make in his/her first year.

Top Bottom