Chip Scoggins: After events of past week, it's tough to see how Gophers keep Claeys

Over the last fifty years, the Gophers have won eight or more games just seven times.
This Coaching staff owns three of those seasons.
Watch what you wish for.

tie in the cultural aspects of how those rights apply to gang sex.

Assumption: Your discussing Consensual group (gang) Sex.

Group (gang) sex is protected behavior under Title IX.

You cannot attack someone for their sexual preferences nor stereotypical perceptions of such activity. This is sexual harassment on the basis of sex.

This is limited by the receipt of federal funds (however, there are tons of ways in which this argument is extended). Which also automatically carries with it constitutional rights.

Once again, this is governed by consent. Consensual behavior, no matter the activity, is A-Ok. This part is important, as it excludes those the lack the ability to consent.

A list (not exhaustive) of those who cannot consent would include: Minors, Animals, and individuals with reduced capacity.

You cannot attack someone for their sexual preferences nor stereotypical perceptions of such activity. This is sexual harassment on the basis of sex.

This is limited by the receipt of federal funds (however, there are tons of ways in which this argument is extended). Which also automatically carries with it constitutional rights.

Once again, this is governed by consent. Consensual behavior, no matter the activity, is A-Ok. This part is important, as it excludes those the lack the ability to consent.

A list (not exhaustive) of those who cannot consent would include: Minors, Animals, and individuals with reduced capacity.

Crazy stuff. Speaking of which. A long time ago, I think it was KSTP TV(?) did a news story about a female law student that was making films of sex with animals to help pay for law school. She appeared to be very open and mater of fact about it.

Not making any comments about the current situation. Just putting out there that amongst 50k plus student there can be some "different" things going on.

You people are all missing the boat concerning "the Chipper" . Remember he could care less about Gopher athletics. He is just using this stint with the Strib as a means to getting down to where real football is played- the SEC.

You people are all missing the boat concerning "the Chipper" . Remember he could care less about Gopher athletics. He is just using this stint with the Strib as a means to getting down to where real football is played- the SEC.

The last 16 years at the Strib was Chip biding his time?

If the shoe drops, my guess is right after the bowl game. This is killing recruiting. Even if Claeys stays, he won't fill out the class. He is already hitting the JC's hard to fill out the class.

If the shoe drops, my guess is right after the bowl game. This is killing recruiting. Even if Claeys stays, he won't fill out the class. He is already hitting the JC's hard to fill out the class.

There might be some recruting fall out short term (I recognize your saying that and not disagreeing), but in the long run:

Maybe not.

Imagine if you will, there is actually a lot of disgust about EOAA around the country.

People just don't talk loudly because of the manner in which they have defended themselves is to punish critics.

People speaking up get charged with harassment. They are shouted down in what at times moves beyond free speech and into assault territory.

I heard about this, but was in disbelief before the Gophers became involved. I like many, actually thought there was no way people could act like accusations I had heard.

I was wrong. I think this occurs in High schools too. When Bob_Loblaw said 1984esque, he wasn't kidding. I read this is in the UK and Canada too.

If this ends up exposing the movement, we might even get a 30 for 30.

If this ends up exposing the movement, we might even get a 30 for 30.

What if I told you, portions of a college football fan base were delusional

The nation by and large agrees with the EOAA's recommendations after reading the report.

The nation by and large agrees with the EOAA's recommendations after reading the report.

The nation by and large is not the population being discussed. The population being discussed are a self selecting group.

The nation by and large likely are not aware of the lack of logic used by the EOAA and their supporters. The nation by large took them as a body that would faithfully exercise certain duties. The nation by large, I'd bet are using emotional reasoning.

The last Startribune poll I read, supported the players argument by a slim majority.

There are likely delusional people that would excuse any athlete, especially football players, of many wrong doings on the mere suggestion that they did not do anything wrong.

I'd suggest that whatever side you fall on, look at that report again with a much more critical eye. There are serious flaws.

True, but is what's in the report true? Is it accurate? Is it factually sound? None of that matters because this is the report that is out there. It has become the story, regardless the veracity of said report. I'm not saying it isn't true. There are a few people who will know the facts, and that doesn't include me or most of the folks on this board. That doesn't stop the public from making their conclusion based on the version of the story presented.

I have concerns about Claeys' style, but I have actually begun to like him a little more as a result of the current situation. Unlike Coyle and Kaler, he's not hiding behind "privacy" excuses or spouting P-C platitudes. Claeys - a guy who is clearly not comfortable in the spotlight - is at least trying to stand up and state his opinion in public. He's not hiding under his desk like Coyle.

so, I think I'm OK with Claeys remaining as head coach. Hopefully, he'll get more comfortable with the media aspects of the job. I suspect he doesn't have a big ego, so maybe he would let his coordinators play a larger role (big Sawvel fan - still not thrilled with Jay Johnson, but I'll wait and see what happens next year with a different QB).

BUT - if they dump Claeys after the season - and Coyle keeps his job, I will be really upset. In my opinion, Coyle is the biggest loser in this whole sorry affair - not offering support to the players - hiding behind "privacy," and hiding from the media. I smell a rat - literally. the guy just comes off like a weasel. Can't help wondering what some of the other coaches at the U are thinking about this? they can't be happy with watching Coyle and Kaler try to throw Claeys under the bus, and openly lie about Claeys' involvement in the suspensions.

Yes. This situation completely unraveled because no one stepped up and provided the leadership to manage it. And Coyle had MONTHS to prepare for this. TC has done the most to deliver a personal perspective on the situation and pave a positive path forward. Agree with SON's assessment 100%.

The last 16 years at the Strib was Chip biding his time?

Not to mention his wife is a city council member in Woodbury. Pretty sure Chip has put down his stakes in Minnesota.

Are you the Jack Jones who sings the Love Boat theme?

Reduced capacity. Now that is an angle that you appear to be ignoring in spades. A reduction in consent may be due to the nature of the hour (3am) with fatigue. It may be reduced legally by the presence of alcohol. And, we do not know her mental status as it was not produced to its fullest extent. But, you don't know how that would play out. We don't know if she was under the care of a physician. We don't know if she had any prescription drugs in her system. These questions have not yet been asked and answered about her capacity and vulnerability. So, in essence, you are grasping at the law for cover. But, the one piece of evidence which stands out in consent is the word "no" that she used to getting undressed by the recruit, the first refusal of sex on the video recording. It was at that point that the text of the EOAA report where I oppose the assertion that consent existed. Later testimony I set aside due to the distance of memory to the actual event. No is a very clear word and meaning.

Reduced capacity. Now that is an angle that you appear to be ignoring in spades. A reduction in consent may be due to the nature of the hour (3am) with fatigue. It may be reduced legally by the presence of alcohol. And, we do not know her mental status as it was not produced to its fullest extent. But, you don't know how that would play out. We don't know if she was under the care of a physician. We don't know if she had any prescription drugs in her system. These questions have not yet been asked and answered about her capacity and vulnerability. So, in essence, you are grasping at the law for cover. But, the one piece of evidence which stands out in consent is the word "no" that she used to getting undressed by the recruit, the first refusal of sex on the video recording. It was at that point that the text of the EOAA report where I oppose the assertion that consent existed. Later testimony I set aside due to the distance of memory to the actual event. No is a very clear word and meaning.

Dean, I know you’re angry about this, and I respect that anger. So am I. I think it is more than appropriate to be angry, especially if one is sold on rape. You should be livid. However, you conclude on my feelings, because I answer you dryly. That is misplaced. I have not made my feelings known. The truth is I have come down on both sides, multiple times since the story broke, and I digested the evidence. I know I seem sold, but that is due to nuance that I’ve simply failed to communicate.

Generally, I would have avoided the prior paragraph. However, you hit what pisses me off the most right on the head. I see the EOAA investigation as one that creates questions, where it should’ve strove to remove as much doubt as possible.

To be fair, I have been involved in a number of professional investigations. In each, I owed a duty, to the public, of due care. I also owed a duty, to the public, of objectivity. My charge was in the financial realm and thus the stakes were never as grave. Nonetheless, I have taken great pains to uphold those duties. I consider duty to be sacred, as it is the counterbalance to every individual right. I.E. For someone to have a right, another person must perform a duty. Moreover, I value rigor, integrity, discipline, and hard work.

I am pissed because I see an investigation that lacks all of these. Objectivity is exceptionally difficult. We aren’t wired for it. So when I open a report that is grossly negligent in its procedural structure, I wonder who implemented it, and more shockingly, who reviewed and approved it. You don’t build a process that requires discipline, when things are hard, and you need it to work. You build it before, and critique, and amend, after each action. Where are you Regents? Where were you Regents?

I see an investigation that opens questions, instead of answering them. I see an investigation that appears to do more to alleviate the emotional feelings of the investigator, than works to serve the alleged victim. I see a process that adopts “confirmation bias” as its watchword.

To me, I was much more taken aback by the police report. You know though, I must admit, I knew through training how to read them. I’m already familiar with the dry, unemotional nature. There’s a reason they don’t have an “official” version of events. They are much more thorough. They pay attention to detail. They don’t ignore hard questions.

I find my heart sinking multiple times daily. I don’t look at you negatively, or Upnorth, or CoMN, etc. I think we are all hurt. I think it is what is good and proper in the situation. What I do think, is you all should respect that a lot of us are hurt for very similar reasons, and we all just bring different life experiences with us, that can, and often do, help to ask the most important questions.

Both sides can claim a national problem. I won’t argue that. Nevertheless, I can unequivocally state, that all rights are meaningless, until one considers them in context with the underlying quality of due process. Simply put, due process gives rights their teeth; they’re otherwise, only fiat. Hence, the erosion of due process only serves to damage the alleged victim, the current accused, and all future victims of rape. To me it’s perverse, and I will fight it. Hell, that’s why I’m a veteran. I see that as a pattern in thoughts and trends of the current national activism.

I know we cannot stop rape here (on Gopherhole, nor can those at the U). We do have an opportunity to seriously improve due process for all parties. Those are certainties, and compromise my motivation for continuing the dialogue.

All in all, We needed a robust process. Justice is blind for a reason. All students, deserve equal protection in process performed at the University. I don’t think any of them received such.

P.S. I’ll answer your post’s question separately, as to detach the answer and reasoning from my emotions.

Dean, I know you’re angry about this, and I respect that anger. So am I. I think it is more than appropriate to be angry, especially if one is sold on rape. You should be livid. However, you conclude on my feelings, because I answer you dryly. That is misplaced. I have not made my feelings known. The truth is I have come down on both sides, multiple times since the story broke, and I digested the evidence. I know I seem sold, but that is due to nuance that I’ve simply failed to communicate.

Generally, I would have avoided the prior paragraph. However, you hit what pisses me off the most right on the head. I see the EOAA investigation as one that creates questions, where it should’ve strove to remove as much doubt as possible.

To be fair, I have been involved in a number of professional investigations. In each, I owed a duty, to the public, of due care. I also owed a duty, to the public, of objectivity. My charge was in the financial realm and thus the stakes were never as grave. Nonetheless, I have taken great pains to uphold those duties. I consider duty to be sacred, as it is the counterbalance to every individual right. I.E. For someone to have a right, another person must perform a duty. Moreover, I value rigor, integrity, discipline, and hard work.

I am pissed because I see an investigation that lacks all of these. Objectivity is exceptionally difficult. We aren’t wired for it. So when I open a report that is grossly negligent in its procedural structure, I wonder who implemented it, and more shockingly, who reviewed and approved it. You don’t build a process that requires discipline, when things are hard, and you need it to work. You build it before, and critique, and amend, after each action. Where are you Regents? Where were you Regents?

I see an investigation that opens questions, instead of answering them. I see an investigation that appears to do more to alleviate the emotional feelings of the investigator, than works to serve the alleged victim. I see a process that adopts “confirmation bias” as its watchword.

To me, I was much more taken aback by the police report. You know though, I must admit, I knew through training how to read them. I’m already familiar with the dry, unemotional nature. There’s a reason they don’t have an “official” version of events. They are much more thorough. They pay attention to detail. They don’t ignore hard questions.

I find my heart sinking multiple times daily. I don’t look at you negatively, or Upnorth, or CoMN, etc. I think we are all hurt. I think it is what is good and proper in the situation. What I do think, is you all should respect that a lot of us are hurt for very similar reasons, and we all just bring different life experiences with us, that can, and often do, help to ask the most important questions.

Both sides can claim a national problem. I won’t argue that. Nevertheless, I can unequivocally state, that all rights are meaningless, until one considers them in context with the underlying quality of due process. Simply put, due process gives rights their teeth; they’re otherwise, only fiat. Hence, the erosion of due process only serves to damage the alleged victim, the current accused, and all future victims of rape. To me it’s perverse, and I will fight it. Hell, that’s why I’m a veteran. I see that as a pattern in thoughts and trends of the current national activism.

I know we cannot stop rape here (on Gopherhole, nor can those at the U). We do have an opportunity to seriously improve due process for all parties. Those are certainties, and compromise my motivation for continuing the dialogue.

All in all, We needed a robust process. Justice is blind for a reason. All students, deserve equal protection in process performed at the University. I don’t think any of them received such.

P.S. I’ll answer your post’s question separately, as to detach the answer and reasoning from my emotions.

Sounds like someone is searching for the truth. How refreshing.

Hello. My name is Dean. This is my first meeting of Alumnus Anonymous. It has been 1 hour since my last outraged, emotional outburst.

Top Bottom