Chip: Richard Pitino must address a Gophers liability: rotten shooting

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Richard Pitino's mission in recruiting could not be any clearer after watching his team misfire throughout a 63-49 dud: Find shooters.

"I didn't love any part of the offense," Pitino said.

The Gophers followed up maybe the best regular-season victory in Pitino's tenure with a loss that couldn't end fast enough.

It's a head-scratcher to think the home team Saturday was the same outfit that ran Michigan off the court a week earlier. Sure, the Big Ten is loaded, but the Gophers' Jekyll-and-Hyde nature can no longer be cast as a home-vs.-road phenomenon.

Unless the old Barn somehow dressed up like a road venue Saturday.

The Gophers' first home loss further exposed a glaring deficiency that can only be fixed in recruiting. They took 23 three-point shots, made only five and the offense deteriorated into the Marcus Carr show.

The Gophers entered the game ranked 295th out of 340 Division I teams in three-point shooting percentage. They rank 23rd in three-point attempts. I didn't major in math, but that formula doesn't seem wise.

Go Gophers!!

RP is learning! If we extend his contract enough times, he might eventually figure the sport out!

per Chip:

Richard Pitino's mission in recruiting could not be any clearer after watching his team misfire throughout a 63-49 dud: Find shooters.

"I didn't love any part of the offense," Pitino said.

The Gophers followed up maybe the best regular-season victory in Pitino's tenure with a loss that couldn't end fast enough.

It's a head-scratcher to think the home team Saturday was the same outfit that ran Michigan off the court a week earlier. Sure, the Big Ten is loaded, but the Gophers' Jekyll-and-Hyde nature can no longer be cast as a home-vs.-road phenomenon.

Unless the old Barn somehow dressed up like a road venue Saturday.

The Gophers' first home loss further exposed a glaring deficiency that can only be fixed in recruiting. They took 23 three-point shots, made only five and the offense deteriorated into the Marcus Carr show.

The Gophers entered the game ranked 295th out of 340 Division I teams in three-point shooting percentage. They rank 23rd in three-point attempts. I didn't major in math, but that formula doesn't seem wise.

Go Gophers!!
Coaching.

Hard to believe that Mitchell or Williams didn’t have minutes.(yes, I know Williams got floor time, but was he REALLY given a chance?)

Teams are going focus on carr and robbins, sag into the middle and let our other guys fire away. Our other guys have to do their part. Really amazing that Coach Pitino has gotten us this far considering our shooting. If anyone can find a way forward for the worst shooting team in the league it is him.

Teams are going focus on carr and robbins, sag into the middle and let our other guys fire away. Our other guys have to do their part. Really amazing that Coach Pitino has gotten us this far considering our shooting. If anyone can find a way forward for the worst shooting team in the league it is him.

Good post as usual.

If Gabe and Gach were average 3 pt shooters this year the offense would be almost unstoppable. Geez, after Gabe's Fr. year I thought he'd end up a third team/honorable mention B10 performer.

Good post as usual.

If Gabe and Gach were average 3 pt shooters this year the offense would be almost unstoppable. Geez, after Gabe's Fr. year I thought he'd end up a third team/honorable mention B10 performer.

Trying to redeem myself after my OTB efforts :) . If the season ended today we would be a 5 or 6 seed in the dance. Going into saturday's game, RJ had Coach Pitino top 3 in big10 COY race. (I know, we were informed by gh posters it is a bogus award after Pitino won it last time.) We just lost to a team who has also beaten wisconsin and illinois on the road, they are not chopped liver.

Yet, by looking at gh one would think we are winless on the season. Same thing happened after the illinois game. Posters were throwing in the towel on the season after one conference game.
No one knows how the season is going to end, but I will take a 5 or 6 seed everyday of the week and twice on sunday. Especially if on that sunday the packers are behind by 11 points at half. Great job Tom Brady and also Coach Pitino!

Last edited:

Trying to redeem myself after my OTB efforts :) . If the season ended today we would be a 5 or 6 seed in the dance. Going into saturday's game, RJ had Coach Pitino top 3 in big10 COY race. (I know, we were informed by gh posters it is a bogus award after Pitino won it last time.) We just lost to a team who has also beaten wisconsin and illinois on the road, they are not chopped liver.

Yet, by looking at gh one would think we are winless on the season. Same thing happened after the illinois game. Posters were throwing in the towel on the season after one conference game.
No one knows how the season is going to end, but I will take a 5 or 6 seed everyday of the week and twice on sunday. Especially if on that sunday the packers are behind by 11 points at half. Great job Tom Brady and also Coach Pitino!

Your OTB efforts are fine - I arm still rereading them in search of a pithy comment or pic to respond - my strong suits rather than deeper analysis.

It does seem inconceivable to me that we can be the polar opposite of that garbage. on Saturday in beating IA and MI - literally doesn't look like the same team and it so odd to me - i know part of it, is that they are my team, but I thought we could turn the corner and win ugly, when are curve was flat - that's when you know you're good - you simply understand what isn't working and figure out how to wind anyway.

I actually think the canceled game against Nebby hurt us, as we had a week off after a big W - you always want to play ASAP after a W and sometimes need to regroup after a bad L.

I honestly think it is a must win @ Purdue on Sat - ugh another week wait.

At least GB is losing for now:cool::cool::cool:.

Your OTB efforts are fine - I arm still rereading them in search of a pithy comment or pic to respond - my strong suits rather than deeper analysis.

It does seem inconceivable to me that we can be the polar opposite of that garbage. on Saturday in beating IA and MI - literally doesn't look like the same team and it so odd to me - i know part of it, is that they are my team, but I thought we could turn the corner and win ugly, when are curve was flat - that's when you know you're good - you simply understand what isn't working and figure out how to wind anyway.

I actually think the canceled game against Nebby hurt us, as we had a week off after a big W - you always want to play ASAP after a W and sometimes need to regroup after a bad L.

I honestly think it is a must win @ Purdue on Sat - ugh another week wait.

At least GB is losing for now:cool::cool::cool:.

Yeah, big ten is so tough. Every team going to have ups and downs. We will be fine if we pick up the shooting percentage.

Yeah, big ten is so tough. Every team going to have ups and downs. We will be fine if we pick up the shooting percentage.

Do you think that will happen? Here is where we are Yahoo Sports -
  • Field Goal %
    300th
    40.8 FG%
  • 3-point %
    306th
    29.5 3P%
  • Points Scored
    29th
    1231 Pts
  • Total Rebounds
    89th
    38.1 RPG

Do you think that will happen? Here is where we are Yahoo Sports -
  • Field Goal %
    300th
    40.8 FG%
  • 3-point %
    306th
    29.5 3P%
  • Points Scored
    29th
    1231 Pts
  • Total Rebounds
    89th
    38.1 RPG

Those percentages are ugly. Over the course of the season cant win with two players. The other guys are going to have to step it up.

I wonder what RP is doing ... publicly he is saying we’re a bad shooting team and guys need to get to the hoop. If that’s the approach he’s taking in practice, I wouldn’t expect the shooting to get better. If you don’t use practices to get as many reps / shots in 5-on-5 game situations, it’s hard to just turn it on in a game.

As I said the other day to the long winded statement about the Gophers problems. "Take high percentage shots" but if they can't make those then get more talent. If they aren't good at shooting 3's then stop & take mid-range. Two points is better than zero.

Bad shooting is only half the problem. The other is shot selection.

I’ll bet we shoot pretty well in practice. They each have a key to the gym. Ain’t like they can’t get shots up.
Shot selection and a psychiatrist for Gabe, Ihnen and Gach would result in the greatest improvement. Add Brandon, they need a shot whisperer. If you think you might miss...I promise, you will.
Carr is not exactly the ideal person to initiate the offense. Like somebody said we don’t have that guy.
I have never at any high school or higher level seen guys shoot air balls like the Gophers. Shooters might shoot one that just grazes the rim when they shoot an ill advised three. But almost never do shooters not hit the rim on teams I coached. Yes, I only had one or two shooters on a team but still...they were not recruits. They were filling roles.
These guys are shooting air balls on wide open threes. The kind you take a time out and REMIND guys NO OPEN LOOKS. We contest ALL shots!

Gabe got his defender to jump on a number of pump fakes from 3, he just doesn't know what to do after his defender jumps. It almost always ends with him taking a side dribble so slowly that the defender has time to recover. Frustrating.

Those percentages are ugly. Over the course of the season cant win with two players. The other guys are going to have to step it up.
We're 16 games in and were 11-5. Why cant we win with 2 players? We will probably go 17-10 and get beat in big tourney and maybe win one in NCAA. With 2 players! I agree though it's amazing how gach and kalscheur are a zero on offense. Hard to score just 2 points with all that talent.

We're 16 games in and were 11-5. Why cant we win with 2 players? We will probably go 17-10 and get beat in big tourney and maybe win one in NCAA. With 2 players! I agree though it's amazing how gach and kalscheur are a zero on offense. Hard to score just 2 points with all that talent.

Yeah, good point. We have done really well so far with basically two players so maybe that will be enuf. Part of me just thinks that the quality of the big ten will make us pay if we dont get more contribution from other players than carr and robbins.

Last edited:

Yeah, good point. We have done really well so far with basically two players so maybe that will be enuf. Part of me just thinks that the quality of the big ten will make us pay if we dont get more contribution from other players than carr and robbins.
Yeah your right. I'm sure the games we win we will get contribution from everybody. The games we lose 2 guys will do something. What will record be? Lol

The gophers need to develop some kind of offense. The secret is out on their pick and roll and high low options. That's really the only things they try outside of 1 on 1 ball. If they can't get out on the fast break or Carr's defender isn't trash we're in trouble.

For the most part, there hasn't been a huge difference between the Big Ten wins and losses this year when it comes to the scoring contribution of players not named Carr or Robbins. The exception is the Maryland loss when players not named Carr or Robbins scored a total of only 18 points.

In the Iowa win the team had 54 points from those players (heavily from Johnson of course) but in the Iowa loss they scored 47. In the Michigan win, they scored 36 and in the loss they scored 38 (probably because there was a longer garbage time). In the OSU win, they had 35; in the Wisconsin loss, they had 37. So, this team's fortunes really depend upon the stability of those two players. Rarely does anyone else (or a combination of players) step up and have a really big game (the exception being Johnson's 26 vs Iowa) to compensate for when one or both of the top scorers have a below average performance.

Honestly, offensive execution has been an issue under Pitino for years. I'm not sure what people expect is going to improve. He doesn't recruit guys that can shoot; hasn't for the majority of his career here. In fact, just filling out an adequate roster has proven difficult, hence all the transfers each year.

Is there a chance he'll eventually get there? I guess, but after what we've seen from his approach, does it seem all that realistic?

For the most part, there hasn't been a huge difference between the Big Ten wins and losses this year when it comes to the scoring contribution of players not named Carr or Robbins. The exception is the Maryland loss when players not named Carr or Robbins scored a total of only 18 points.

In the Iowa win the team had 54 points from those players (heavily from Johnson of course) but in the Iowa loss they scored 47. In the Michigan win, they scored 36 and in the loss they scored 38 (probably because there was a longer garbage time). In the OSU win, they had 35; in the Wisconsin loss, they had 37. So, this team's fortunes really depend upon the stability of those two players. Rarely does anyone else (or a combination of players) step up and have a really big game (the exception being Johnson's 26 vs Iowa) to compensate for when one or both of the top scorers have a below average performance.

Yeah, if you are an opposing coach, would you not almost beg Gabe and Gach to shoot? Throw everything at robbins and carr and see if the other 3 can beat you seems like a smart way to go. Compare us to teams like iowa and wisconsin who have shooters all over the floor. The other side of it is before the season began all of us wouldve signed up for #21 in the country so i am very happy with the season up to this point.

Look - the players are human. they're going to have good days and not-as-good days.

and yes, the other teams have talent.

But what bothers me is the huge gap between wins and losses. When the Gophers lose, they aren't losing by a couple of points - they're getting run off the court.

Quality of play may fluctuate, but effort should be constant.

and this team goes out one night and looks really motivated - but the next game, they just don't look ready to play.

some of that is on the players - but it's also on the coaches.

Against the kind of defense they saw Saturday, there needs to be back cuts and backpicks. They were ovedrplaying everything, but we refuse to burn them on it.
Bring your big guy high set a backpick and lets get some layups.

Basically all Maryland did was pressure Carr, deny that first pass and sag to stop Carr's drive. We couldn't hurt them because we stood around. They also fronted Robbins and were physical with him, which he really doesn't care for. Then, anytime any penetration happened, we can't shoot to save our lives.

This is the formula to beat the Gophers. Expect every coach from here on out to use it.

Top Bottom