Chip: Pitino looks so in over his head and his program is in such disarray

It concerns me that whatever Pitino is selling, it is attracting players that expect little accountability on or off the court. I look at Bo Ryan and Jerry Kill as two examples we all know well. Kids know full well what is expected of them on/off the court/field before they sign up. In the short time he's been here, he's attracted: Josh Martin and Carlos Morris showed up thinking that it was the purpose of the U to highlight their offensive games. Dorsey and Lofton seemed to think that personal accountability wasn't very important. Mcneil seemed like a decent kid and a hard worker, but couldn't see it clear to not beat up his girlfriend. Won't comment on Lynch, but unfortunately it would fit what now is a pattern. The positive angle would be that perhaps he is growing as a coach/recruiter. The entire incoming class, as well as Mason, Macbrayer, Fitzpatrick all seem like good kids and hard workers (with intriguing talent).

Before Sunday Reggie Lynch would have been in this same group of good kids. Hard to see anything like this coming.

If people are holding the Josh Martin/Carlos Morris signings against him, they just have an axe to grind and aren't thinking objectively.

There are more than 700 transfers nowadays. Someone at every college goes there thinking he's going to get something more out of the situation than he does and leaves. That's not a "Pitino" thing...that's the entire college basketball landscape.

Martin wasn't a problem off the court. He just wasn't that good in the short time he was here. Morris wasn't a problem in terms of off the court...he might have been a diva or high maintenance. With all the other crap going on, "high-maintenance" sounds pretty good. But again, he just didn't really work out on the court.

Recruiting a JUCO kid that didn't pan out happens to a lot of coaches starting up a program. It just so happened that we didn't have other players, so Morris was pushed into a role he couldn't play.

It's not like these two recruiting situations are only happening to Pitino.

If people want to hate on Pitino and demand he be fired, they have more than their fair share of reasonable ammo for it - bringing up recruits that transfer or don't play as well as we'd like, at this point, seems down the list though.

Chip is an idiot and a hack. That's been proven time and again. He and Amelia are the tweedledee and tweedledum of the sports section over there. If you want quality journalism, you need to look somewhere else.

It's a frustrating time, but the decision was made to stick with Pitino through this year, so the media need to just shut up about it until the year is over. He'll either prove everyone wrong, or he'll be fired. Everything the article says has been written about before, so quit harping on it like a whiny b****.

Chip is far from a hack. Denial isn't a river in Egypt.

I'm not sure what the author is implying here. I agree this was a terrible deal, but nothing Pitino did in the intervening months would have justified reneging on a negotiated contract. I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect that Pitino would have had grounds for suing the university had they tried that.

+1. Tubby coached his first year without a signed contract. That doesn't mean we could have fired him and gotten out of it. It just means the U's lawyers are as efficient as the rest of the AD.

So I guess you think that another gopher player in trouble, this time for allegedly raping a woman, which prompted public criticism from a member of the BOR, doesn't warrant a fresh look at the situation.

I didn't think it was a fresh look. It was just gratuitous piling on, in my opinion (which also is influenced by the last several years of Strib's slanted coverage of the U).

I won't put him in hack territory, but he's been on the rag recently wonder if the strib is grooming him to be the new cynical asshole

Chip's been more fair on the Gophers than most. I think people here are extremely cynical about all Gopher press coverage. Even when it's about Mitch Leidner being a first round pick, we find ways to get upset.

This is negative coverage, but completely warranted. When Jim Souhan spews his ignorance about Kill, we can and should call him out. But that doesn't make everything the Strib writes cynical.

Chip's been more fair on the Gophers than most. I think people here are extremely cynical about all Gopher press coverage. Even when it's about Mitch Leidner being a first round pick, we find ways to get upset.

This is negative coverage, but completely warranted. When Jim Souhan spews his ignorance about Kill, we can and should call him out. But that doesn't make everything the Strib writes cynical.
I was pointing to chip's body of work for all teams as of late. Not just the U, suppose it's a sign of the times. Comparably yes chip has been the fairest in his career

+1 Gopher fans are in such a prolonged state of shock that when we hear there is news about the athletic department, we react wondering what new crap has happened.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The rage reactions from a few that occur whenever a newspaper columnist writes something negative about Gopher sports show how insecure and full of anger some folks are.
A team's success or lack of it has absolutely nothing to do with what is written about them.
Play by the rules of the game and of life and win some conference games and it matters not what is written.

"On your second point, respectfully, more than a few coaches have been known to put their name out there (via their "camp") for other job openings in order to apply some pressure to their bosses. I can name a few . ... Glen Mason, Tubby Smith, Jerry Kill. That's just in Minnesota".

Sure, and that behavior would not be shocking to me. However, respectfully, to your point, he is asserting that information as if he were writing an "article" rather than an opinion piece. It is pure speculation that Pitino utilized his "camp" to get the rumor mill going and apply pressure, as you say. Chip asserts this without a hint of caution / deference. He is not presenting an opinion, he is presenting speculation as if it were a fact. And again, I don't think editors should allow for that type of character assassination to go unchecked.

Nice job of deflection 101, make the press the problem.

The press usually is part of the problem in this country. And Chip Scoggins makes things up. He is a very poor Journalist.

Stop worrying about the press. It is way worse out here on the East Coast for sports teams. In DC, the Washington Post is all over the Redskins and Dan Snyder as soon as another season is a lost cause. And, Dan owns the team and the newspaper!!!!

Top Bottom