Chip: Pitino looks so in over his head and his program is in such disarray

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Pitino looks so in over his head and his program is in such disarray that one wonders if he will need to do damage control with recruits and almost re-recruit them to avoid losing their trust.

Pitino holds a $7.1 million buyout in his back pocket, an albatross that stands in the way of a coaching change, if Kaler were so inclined.

On the very same day that Norwood Teague resigned in disgrace as athletic director last fall, Pitino signed his contract that called for a $400,000 raise and increased his buyout by more than $4 million.

Interesting timing, right?

Nobody in a position of authority at the university — specifically Kaler — thought to slow down and examine the situation.

Kaler authorized that $7 million buyout because … well, actually I still have no clue why he agreed to it. Pitino certainly didn't earn it.

One week after Teague's abrupt departure, Kaler's chief of staff Amy Phenix and interim AD Beth Goetz signed a contract that basically stuck the university with a coach who has ushered the program into crisis.

"The terms [of his contract] were negotiated months before the contract was signed," Kaler wrote in an e-mail to the Star Tribune in March. "Intervening events did not change the rationale we had in agreeing to those terms in the spring."

This is your university leadership, folks.

http://www.startribune.com/no-simple-answers-following-another-black-eye-to-u-basketball/378734881/

Go Gophers!!

The fish rots from the head down.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The first coaching change the U needs to make is Kaler. He is the one "in over his head". The columnist too, I guess.

The first coaching change the U needs to make is Kaler. He is the one "in over his head". The columnist too, I guess.
Pitino needs to go, too. Out of mercy for the guy, if nothing else.

Kaler looks more and more foolish as time goes on. He needs to go.

Scoggins hits the nail on the head with one simple sentence:

"What needs to happen is normalcy off the court, competency on it."

Kaler looks more and more foolish as time goes on. He needs to go.

I would have thought a president that came from Stony Brook would be well versed in handling big time college athletics.

Chip is an idiot and a hack. That's been proven time and again. He and Amelia are the tweedledee and tweedledum of the sports section over there. If you want quality journalism, you need to look somewhere else.

It's a frustrating time, but the decision was made to stick with Pitino through this year, so the media need to just shut up about it until the year is over. He'll either prove everyone wrong, or he'll be fired. Everything the article says has been written about before, so quit harping on it like a whiny b****.

Chip is an idiot and a hack. That's been proven time and again. He and Amelia are the tweedledee and tweedledum of the sports section over there. If you want quality journalism, you need to look somewhere else. It's a frustrating time, but the decision was made to stick with Pitino through this year, so the media need to just shut up about it until the year is over. He'll either prove everyone wrong, or he'll be fired. Everything the article says has been written about before, so quit harping on it like a whiny b****.

Nice job of deflection 101, make the press the problem.

It's times like these when message boards really frighten me. Find out who has an ounce of perspective, and who doesn't.

Chip is an idiot and a hack. That's been proven time and again. He and Amelia are the tweedledee and tweedledum of the sports section over there. If you want quality journalism, you need to look somewhere else.

It's a frustrating time, but the decision was made to stick with Pitino through this year, so the media need to just shut up about it until the year is over. He'll either prove everyone wrong, or he'll be fired. Everything the article says has been written about before, so quit harping on it like a whiny b****.

So I guess you think that another gopher player in trouble, this time for allegedly raping a woman, which prompted public criticism from a member of the BOR, doesn't warrant a fresh look at the situation.

The whole line about Pitino bamboozling Teague into believing he had other suitors in order to secure his raise / buyout increase is journalistic malpractice and should not be tolerated - who are the editors that are allowing this drivel.. Those rumors swirl and they are beyond a coaches control, and to make it into a calculated deception created by Pitino for his financial benefit is repugnant.

The whole line about Pitino bamboozling Teague into believing he had other suitors in order to secure his raise / buyout increase is journalistic malpractice and should not be tolerated - who are the editors that are allowing this drivel.. Those rumors swirl and they are beyond a coaches control, and to make it into a calculated deception created by Pitino for his financial benefit is repugnant.

Especially considering it happened to Tubby. Every. Single. Year.

Sorry, but it's not the media's job to shut up.

The whole line about Pitino bamboozling Teague into believing he had other suitors in order to secure his raise/ buyout increase is journalistic malpractice and should not be tolerated - who are the editors that are allowing this drivel. Those rumors swirl and they are beyond a coaches control, and to make it into a calculated deception created by Pitino for his financial benefit is repugnant.

This is an opinion piece (column) by Chip, not an article.

On your second point, respectfully, more than a few coaches have been known to put their name out there (via their "camp") for other job openings in order to apply some pressure to their bosses. I can name a few . ... Glen Mason, Tubby Smith, Jerry Kill. That's just in Minnesota.

I'm of the opinion Pitino was never a legitimate candidate for the Alabama job, and I have little doubt how that seed got planted in the media. But like Chip's column, that's an opinion.

per Chip:

"The terms [of his contract] were negotiated months before the contract was signed," Kaler wrote in an e-mail to the Star Tribune in March. "Intervening events did not change the rationale we had in agreeing to those terms in the spring."

This is your university leadership, folks.

http://www.startribune.com/no-simple-answers-following-another-black-eye-to-u-basketball/378734881/

Go Gophers!!

I'm not sure what the author is implying here. I agree this was a terrible deal, but nothing Pitino did in the intervening months would have justified reneging on a negotiated contract. I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect that Pitino would have had grounds for suing the university had they tried that.

So I guess you think that another gopher player in trouble, this time for allegedly raping a woman, which prompted public criticism from a member of the BOR, doesn't warrant a fresh look at the situation.

FWIW Dean Johnson was quoted saying that Pitino needs to recruit players of good character because incidents like these hurt our brand. I'll consider listening to the leadership when they are not worried about themselves and show concern for the victims. (Perhaps he showed concern elsewhere, but it wasn't quoted on what I read in kstp)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW Dean Johnson was quoted saying that Pitino needs to recruit players of good character because incidents like these hurt our brand. I'll consider listening to the leadership when they are not worried about themselves and show concern for the victims. (Perhaps he showed concern elsewhere, but it wasn't quoted on what I read in kstp) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the problem I see though. What about Reggie Lynch was not good character? Nate Mason? Dupree McBrayer? Where was their "bad character" prior to them being here, and in regards to Mason and McBrayer I'd say they still have good character.

I'm wondering if lack of leadership on the team (from players) is starting to be a problem. I remember going to college and yeah the first couple years things got a little crazy. I can only imagine how easy it is for things to get out of control for a student athlete. If we had more established upper classmen that could be leaders and mentors I wonder if this would still be happening with kids that seemed like stand up guys until they hit college. Maybe now that a number of these younger guys are going through then when they are juniors and seniors they will have the experience and wisdom to properly lead/mentor the freshman and prevent some of these situations.

That's the problem I see though. What about Reggie Lynch was not good character? Nate Mason? Dupree McBrayer? Where was their "bad character" prior to them being here, and in regards to Mason and McBrayer I'd say they still have good character.

I don't disagree with this, although someone could probably make the argument that Pitino has not assembled a group with enough mature personalities; similar to what Bottlebass suggested. Nonetheless, I was just pointing out that if the Deans simply care about the brand and not the safety of others or the severity of these actions (if true), then they are part of the culture problem that they are pinning on Pitino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if lack of leadership on the team (from players) is starting to be a problem. I remember going to college and yeah the first couple years things got a little crazy. I can only imagine how easy it is for things to get out of control for a student athlete. If we had more established upper classmen that could be leaders and mentors I wonder if this would still be happening with kids that seemed like stand up guys until they hit college. Maybe now that a number of these younger guys are going through then when they are juniors and seniors they will have the experience and wisdom to properly lead/mentor the freshman and prevent some of these situations.

BLAME TUBBY!!!!!!!

**Turns on DP signal**

Pitino needs to go, too. Out of mercy for the guy, if nothing else.

No, we still have a decent team even without Lynch, he brought them in he deserves a shot at coaching his players

No, we still have a decent team even without Lynch, he brought them in he deserves a shot at coaching his players

Well, it is year four. He deserves a shot to coach his own players (in year four).

Well, it is year four. He deserves a shot to coach his own players (in year four).

Agreed, every coach should get four years, and now he has it, this season will show one way or another if Pitino is a long term solution. Two more hours

per Chip: One week after Teague's abrupt departure, Kaler's chief of staff Amy Phenix and interim AD Beth Goetz signed a contract that basically stuck the university with a coach who has ushered the program into crisis. "The terms [of his contract] were negotiated months before the contract was signed," Kaler wrote in an e-mail to the Star Tribune in March. "Intervening events did not change the rationale we had in agreeing to those terms in the spring."

Now I have a reason not to hire Beth Goetz. Upping the buyout by 4 million really limited the department's actions.

It concerns me that whatever Pitino is selling, it is attracting players that expect little accountability on or off the court. I look at Bo Ryan and Jerry Kill as two examples we all know well. Kids know full well what is expected of them on/off the court/field before they sign up. In the short time he's been here, he's attracted:

Josh Martin and Carlos Morris showed up thinking that it was the purpose of the U to highlight their offensive games.
Dorsey and Lofton seemed to think that personal accountability wasn't very important.
Mcneil seemed like a decent kid and a hard worker, but couldn't see it clear to not beat up his girlfriend.
Won't comment on Lynch, but unfortunately it would fit what now is a pattern.

The positive angle would be that perhaps he is growing as a coach/recruiter. The entire incoming class, as well as Mason, Macbrayer, Fitzpatrick all seem like good kids and hard workers (with intriguing talent).

Top Bottom