Chip: P.J. Fleck's choice of cautious play-calls over boldness backfires again

This is a good well-balanced group of tweets. Click to read through.

I disagree. I don’t follow him but it popped up in my feed so read that thread and literally blocked him on Twitter.

Don’t need another guy telling me the coaches rhetoric doesn’t match his words based on absolutely nothing with absolutely nothing to support it.

“Bad vibes” isn’t football analysis

Lol did you read the second of those three? That’s the definition of a hot take article. You’re right, they do have some people in reporting still. Not enough focus on it.
It also would be helpful if their hot take people were better writers with better hot takes.

Jim Paulson is maybe single handedly ending my subscription
Yes, I read it. 5 statements, 4 of which are backed up by a statistic (or multiple) emphasizing the point. If that's your definition on "hot take" so be it. To me that's reporting as the writer, Randy Johnson, is the Gophers beat guy. When they lose, I don't expect the 5 statements to be cheerful. They lost. 5 insights as to why. That's it.

If your argument is not enough reporting that's a different issue. There is less, yes across the board not just with the Strib but all papers, industry wide. Budget cuts have become common. Johnson did not even go the Illinois game (still wrote about it). That I can understand as a valid critique.

Chip Scoggins is a columnist, has been for like 5+ years but you did not seem aware of. Very good at what he does, in my opinion. He wrote an accompanying column about the game, which I bet has been done for nearly every Gophers home game for about a century. When Sid was alive it was most often 2 columns to go with the game feature.

Jim Paulson as the HS beat writer can not do anything to influence my opinion on the Strib either way, just not passionate enough about HS sports to more than glance over articles. If that's your jam...by all means do not waste the money.

Yes, I read it. 5 statements, 4 of which are backed up by a statistic (or multiple) emphasizing the point. If that's your definition on "hot take" so be it. To me that's reporting as the writer, Randy Johnson, is the Gophers beat guy. When they lose, I don't expect the 5 statements to be cheerful. They lost. 5 insights as to why. That's it.

If your argument is not enough reporting that's a different issue. There is less, yes across the board not just with the Strib but all papers, industry wide. Budget cuts have become common. Johnson did not even go the Illinois game (still wrote about it). That I can understand as a valid critique.

Chip Scoggins is a columnist, has been for like 5+ years but you did not seem aware of. Very good at what he does, in my opinion. He wrote an accompanying column about the game, which I bet has been done for nearly every Gophers home game for about a century. When Sid was alive it was most often 2 columns to go with the game feature.

Jim Paulson as the HS beat writer can not do anything to influence my opinion on the Strib either way, just not passionate enough about HS sports to more than glance over articles. If that's your jam...by all means do not waste the money.
Thanks for your feedback?

That ball wasn't thrown into triple coverage. It was a catchable pass that bounced off the receiver...again.
I had it reversed at the game. Maybe outside shoulder avoids the chance for a pick?

I feel like Burns is really smug when I listen to Gopher Gridiron. Like he's annoyed to share his knowledge.
He has a similar level knowledge of football as anyone on here. Kudos to him for turning it into a business.
I just hate how he gets a bit and sticks to it.

We will have an opponents kick a 28 yard punt out of bounds and his tweet will be “didn’t catch the punt again, ugh, special teams”

We will miss a tackle on kickoff team but the second guy there drops him on the 23 and he will say “more missed tackles on special teams”

It’s like, I get it man. You don’t like our special teams coordinators but I’m not sure those were the plays to express it.

He has a similar level knowledge of football as anyone on here. Kudos to him for turning it into a business.
I certainly don't think I know more than he does - I just always pick up on this aggravated tone in his voice that takes me out of the show.

I certainly don't think I know more than he does - I just always pick up on this aggravated tone in his voice that takes me out of the show.
I think you know the same as he does.

Thanks for your feedback?
Sure whatever rows your boat.

Saturday you wanted to cancel because Chip Scoggins wrote a column critical of the Gophers coaching staff in a losing effort which seemed to be the straw that broke your camels back. Today, you contradicted that by indicating Jim Paulson "may single handedly" be the reason you end it with the Strib. It can't be single, if you have issues with both Chipper and Jim.

I am here to help. :cool:

Sure whatever rows your boat.

Saturday you wanted to cancel because Chip Scoggins wrote a column critical of the Gophers coaching staff in a losing effort which seemed to be the straw that broke your camels back. Today, you contradicted that by indicating Jim Paulson "may single handedly" be the reason you end it with the Strib. It can't be single, if you have issues with both Chipper and Jim.

I am here to help. :cool:
True

Lol did you read the second of those three? That’s the definition of a hot take article. You’re right, they do have some people in reporting still. Not enough focus on it.
It also would be helpful if their hot take people were better writers with better hot takes.

Jim Paulson is maybe single handedly ending my subscription
Paulson is brutal especially in his HS coverage on Twitter.

I don't think PJ -wants- to run the ball on 70% of Minnesota's snaps over the course of a season. His good teams have still biased run but been much closer to balanced.

He force-fed the ball to Corey Davis in his 12-1 season at WMU to the tune of 1.5K receiving yards. In 2019, Johnson and Bateman both had 1K+ yard receiving seasons.

I think, that he thinks, that the Gophers don't have the talent to throw the ball right now. Last year, Morgan couldn't find his footing in the offense and so they run. This year they lost their WR1, threw a couple bad interceptions early in the season, and now have an inaccurate freshman QB, and so they run.

PJ will always be conservative, because he knows that more college games are lost than won, but what he's doing right now is out of necessity. It's not a choice.

He's repeatedly said in press conferences that he wants to run a balanced offence. It's clear to me that he doesn't have the players to run a balanced offense and remain competitive. Instead he has Mo.

Iowa gave up 14 TD all season so far. 8 to tOSU/Michigan and 6 in the other 9 games. MN had reason to be cautious. Iowa tries to bate teams to throw deep against their zone.

Michigan had 4 plays over 15 yards and none over 30.
tOSU had 4 plays over 20 yards

I feel like Burns is really smug when I listen to Gopher Gridiron. Like he's annoyed to share his knowledge.

when they review games, former Gopher offensive lineman Derek Burns is a regular guest. (he is Ryan Burns' 2nd cousin). And Derek Burns is really good at breaking down and explaining schemes to analyze why certain plays worked and others didn't. very informative.

If you think Gopher Gridiron is smug, then don't listen to "Pair and a Spare" with Ryan Burns, Scoggins and Justin Gaard.

when they review games, former Gopher offensive lineman Derek Burns is a regular guest. (he is Ryan Burns' 2nd cousin). And Derek Burns is really good at breaking down and explaining schemes to analyze why certain plays worked and others didn't. very informative.

If you think Gopher Gridiron is smug, then don't listen to "Pair and a Spare" with Ryan Burns, Scoggins and Justin Gaard.
Derek burns is really good

Ryan burns is very surface but thinks he is very good

Clearly Fleck and his staff can’t get it done. 2019 was the ceiling and that was a fluke! The game has passed them by on just about every level. Time for another coach to get the opportunity. Plenty of quality candidates out there. Do your job Coyle.

Clearly Fleck and his staff can’t get it done. 2019 was the ceiling and that was a fluke! The game has passed them by on just about every level. Time for another coach to get the opportunity. Plenty of quality candidates out there. Do your job Coyle.
Lol

When I referred to punt team I was not talking about the players. I am talking about coaches. Should have made that clear. As an aside, I have never seen, heard, or read Ryan Burns.
Listen to him Justin Gaard and Chip Scoggins on Their Pair and a Spare podcast. They have some good takes and this weeks episode should be a good one.

Top Bottom