Chip: P.J. Fleck had seen enough. So have I. Gophers can't pass on opportunity to evolve; Fleck can't be content with simply changing coordinators.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Morgan deserves better. The offense deserves better. Which is why Fleck can't be content with simply changing coordinators. He also must examine his own philosophy in understanding how to squeeze more out of the offense.

Nobody expects Fleck to abandon his affinity for ball-control, power running. That's his identity as a coach. Yet, there must be wiggle room in there to find a more consistent approach with the passing game.

The Gophers are quite capable of running the ball down the throat of some Big Ten opponents without asking their quarterback to do any heavy lifting. Throwing the ball shouldn't be set aside as an inconvenience, though.

Those who played that position will tell you that being a reliable passer isn't as simple as flipping a switch. It takes repetition and nurturing. Imagine the pressure Morgan felt knowing he had limited chances to throw.

Go Gophers!!

You also tailor your playing calling to the personnel... which was the o line. If you have Bateman and Ty Johnson, you pass to them. Pure speculation, but I'm guessing Fleck understands that. Just say you want balance on offense, which I'm guessing every coach would love to have that.

Literally saying conflicting things, to try to appeal to the most people. :sneaky:

Gotta change!!! Oh but, it's known and OK that Fleck isn't going to change, it's his identity.

Literally saying conflicting things, to try to appeal to the most people. :sneaky:

Gotta change!!! Oh but, it's known and OK that Fleck isn't going to change, it's his identity.
He will change as to some calls etc., on the field. Not 100% change as perhaps it is his identity. He knows he has to modify or tweak in a sense. You say it is OK that he isn't going to change. No, he has to, and I believe he will a bit but not an overhaul. Perhaps we're on the same page for the most part.

He will change as to some calls etc., on the field. Not 100% change as perhaps it is his identity. He knows he has to modify or tweak in a sense. You say it is OK that he isn't going to change. No, he has to, and I believe he will a bit but not an overhaul. Perhaps we're on the same page for the most part.

Change back to something that resembles 2019. That would work for everybody.

I understand Bateman and Johnson are gone, but there is still talent in the WR corps.

I like Chip a lot, but if he's hinting that P.J. is run-first because of stubbornness and reluctance to evolve, I disagree. Fleck is run-first because he believes in run-first, not to mention it fits current personnel and it fits the B1G. However, that doesn't mean Fleck can't make improvements to the offense in general and the passing game especially, while still keeping the offense in tune with Fleck's philosophy. Again, the 2019 offense fit his run-first parameters, and it was excellent.

Fleck recognizes this. It's why Sanford is gone.

I don't think so

I think he's saying he'll still be run first, maybe 60/40 or god forbid 55/45 instead of 70/30

The goal most games should be 25 pass attempts.

He's not asking for an air raid offense, just a little less conservative.

You also tailor your playing calling to the personnel... which was the o line. If you have Bateman and Ty Johnson, you pass to them. Pure speculation, but I'm guessing Fleck understands that. Just say you want balance on offense, which I'm guessing every coach would love to have that.
That's true, but what we saw this year was the Perma Press offense: No wrinkles. Winning time of possession is generally a good thing, but scoring points is the bottom line. There was no outside the box thinking this season and the box was really small. You're right in saying that personnel plays a big role in how things are put together and the WR corps is pretty green, but it would have been nice to see them utilized. I'm not saying throw it 40 (or even 30) times a game, but when you're facing +1 or +2 in the box, the outside guys are going to be seing man coverage.

I don't think so

I think he's saying he'll still be run first, maybe 60/40 or god forbid 55/45 instead of 70/30

Perfectly fair.

And not at all requiring of anything beyond a new OC.

I don't think so

2019 was like 63/37.

I'm fine with running it 70/30, but the 30 has to be effective, and should the need arise to veer towards the pass more in certain games, then we should be able to do that. I guess he is arguing that when 70/30 is your norm it's hard to turn the pass switch on when needed? I don't think that needs to be the case though. What is the evidence to back that theory up?

200 yards passing against the Badgers, only 75 running. Without a big passing day, we lose that game. Have to be able to pass,

Yes! You have to be able to both run and pass.

Against Wisconsin, the Gophers had 199 yards passing on only 16 attempts! 11 completions. That's 12.4 yards per attempt, and 18 yards per completion, which is amazing; especially against the best defense in the B1G.

That's very, very efficient passing. It isn't about number of passes vs number of rush attempts. It's about efficiency.

I don't think so

Agree. One of thousands of hot take posts by mplsgopher.

Chip is what a good reporter should be...tough but fair. Soupcan and Fat Pat should take notes.
They are old and crusty and not as fit as they portray themselves.

Chip is what a good reporter should be...tough but fair. Soupcan and Fat Pat should take notes.
Chip is wasting his time with the Trib. He needs to get somewhere like the Athletic or some other decent sports outlet. Would hate to lose him as he is the only good thing about the local media but he is too good a writer to be stuck at a trash location like the Star Tribune.

How is this not a Grand Slam? We have a guy who has proven he is successful here previously in the role - added with the current QB. We have a guy in Simon who has gained experience. We have continuity amongst our coaching staff (the biggest thing in CFB). See WI, IA, NW. We now have Fleck, Rossi, Simon, KC with multiple years here. That breeds continuity. Something this program needs.

All those TE people, we had 4 completions to the TE vs Auburn. Settle. Would you target the TE regularly with Bateman, TJ, CAB? No. TEs weren’t featured with the talent at WR. That doesn’t mean he won’t without those NFL WRs chill.

Further, KC develops QBs. Simon is a WR coach. I want my OC being a QB coach. We have two young QBs waiting in the wings in Knuth and the Greek. Get them under KC’s wings and may the best man win. Go Gophers!

Top Bottom