Chip on Zack Annexstad's role: "I’m assuming he will compete for the backup job with Jacob Clark and Cole Kramer."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip's Q&A:

Q: My question is about the Gopher Football team: Whenever the next college football season is, what role do you see Zack Annexstad playing for the team, if any? -- Emailer Karl

A: I’m assuming he will compete for the backup job with Jacob Clark and Cole Kramer. Annexstad’s injuries have been unfortunate, but Tanner Morgan has developed into one of the top quarterbacks in college football. I thought one of those backups might transfer because that happens so frequently with quarterbacks these days but all of them are still here.

Go Gophers!!

per Chip's Q&A:

Q: My question is about the Gopher Football team: Whenever the next college football season is, what role do you see Zack Annexstad playing for the team, if any? -- Emailer Karl

A: I’m assuming he will compete for the backup job with Jacob Clark and Cole Kramer. Annexstad’s injuries have been unfortunate, but Tanner Morgan has developed into one of the top quarterbacks in college football. I thought one of those backups might transfer because that happens so frequently with quarterbacks these days but all of them are still here.

Go Gophers!!

Weird question. Does anyone think Morgan is relinquishing the starting job absent injury? Annexstad will no doubt win the backup job and signal in lots of plays next season. I look forward to him mopping up multiple games.

There is now a one year eligibility separation between Morgan and Annexstad and he was patient and was willing to bide his time for his opportunity in high school. He has an opportunity to continue to prep and focus his efforts on a wonderful senior season as the starter. Or, if Morgan's star rises to the point of being an early exit to the NFL, two full seasons as the starter is in the possibility realm.

I think one of them (at least) would've transferred if it had been a normal year, with a normal spring ball.

Whichever of them would've been 4th on the depth chart, and maybe not even traveled to away games, what would be the point? Unless you just want to be on the team to be on it. But with the need to keep bringing in new classes as full as possible, they'd probably need that scholarship.

I think one of them (at least) would've transferred if it had been a normal year, with a normal spring ball.

Whichever of them would've been 4th on the depth chart, and maybe not even traveled to away games, what would be the point? Unless you just want to be on the team to be on it. But with the need to keep bringing in new classes as full as possible, they'd probably need that scholarship.

I could see that happening, but only once there is clear separation between Kramer and Clark. Up til now, it doesn't appear that has happened. There are also a couple variables that could be keeping them both engaged: 1. How does Annexstad return from another big injury? 2. Does Tanner Morgan leave after the 2020 season?

I'm guessing they can afford to wait and see how both play out in 2020, as it will only be their redshirt freshmen seasons.

Is Kramer a good enough athlete to switch positions, assuming he would be willing to do so?
I feel like I've heard he's pretty athletic, but I haven't seen him play really.

He's competing for the starting gig. We've seen Clemson and Bama replace QBs who'd won at a playoff level. Competition is good and necessary. Annexstead beat Morgan for the job previously and should be given the chance to do it again.

There is now a one year eligibility separation between Morgan and Annexstad and he was patient and was willing to bide his time for his opportunity in high school. He has an opportunity to continue to prep and focus his efforts on a wonderful senior season as the starter. Or, if Morgan's star rises to the point of being an early exit to the NFL, two full seasons as the starter is in the possibility realm.

Mel Kiper mentioning Tanner Morgan as a high draft pick (along with Bateman) had to be music to Annexstad's ears.

He's competing for the starting gig. We've seen Clemson and Bama replace QBs who'd won at a playoff level. Competition is good and necessary. Annexstead beat Morgan for the job previously and should be given the chance to do it again.

I guess you're always competing and preparing to be the "next man up". But after the year Tanner had, there is zero chance he isn't taking the bulk (or all) of the #1 reps in preseason camp. He earned it with his play. I think that would send a shitty message to the team if their leader wasn't treated as such.

That said, Annexstad will definitely be given the shot as #2 and also likely get to play some legit snaps during the year.

I guess you're always competing and preparing to be the "next man up". But after the year Tanner had, there is zero chance he isn't taking the bulk (or all) of the #1 reps in preseason camp. He earned it with his play. I think that would send a shitty message to the team if their leader wasn't treated as such.

That said, Annexstad will definitely be given the shot as #2 and also likely get to play some legit snaps during the year.
What kind of message is it to all the other QBs and younger guys on the roster if the guy in front of them is essentially guaranteed the spot because of the previous years play? You can't preach competition then not give ZA or the other QBs the chance to win the gig. Sure Morgan starts off with the first team reps but it has to be a competition. Best players play. Again we've seen 2 teams win titles with QBs who started off as backups before beating out older, extremely capable players

Look at how many QBs had to play for Nebraska last year, injuries happen and having Annexstad healthy as a backup is huge. Also, I wouldn't be shocked if Morgan leaves after next season which would give Annexstad two years with the starting job.

He's competing for the starting gig.
74d.jpg

Sure, it's possible that all three could "wait and see" if Tanner leaves early after 2020.

Also have Athan coming in (I assume early, to do spring ball 2021) to compete for the possible opening in 2021.

At the very least, Morgan is going to start and play a lot of snaps imo. The reason? He's not only proven he can be a starter, but can be also a stand out as a starter. No matter how well Annexstad (or the others) do in camp, Morgan has proven it and is going to play a lot.

That's just reality.

The question is whether the other guys can perform well enough to also get a bunch of snaps (rotating QBs).

If they can, that'll give the coaches something to contemplate.

But I just can't see the coaches benching Tanner unless Zack or someone else is off the charts in preseason.

Last edited:

What kind of message is it to all the other QBs and younger guys on the roster if the guy in front of them is essentially guaranteed the spot because of the previous years play? You can't preach competition then not give ZA or the other QBs the chance to win the gig. Sure Morgan starts off with the first team reps but it has to be a competition. Best players play. Again we've seen 2 teams win titles with QBs who started off as backups before beating out older, extremely capable players

It seems like with your messaging, you still are of the belief that ZA is the "best player". My point is, we may never find out in 2020. It's like Wally Pipp and Lou Gehrig. Morgan was All Big Ten last year. I'm pretty sure everyone in the QB room is aware of his standing. Bottom line: unless there is an injury or Morgan just falls off the cliff from his last year and a half, he will get the bulk of the snaps.

Do you think WRs 4-6 last year thought they really had a chance to usurp TJ or Bateman?? No. They worked their ass off to be prepared, but they also were aware that 2019 wasn't going to be their time barring injuries. That is the outlook for QB in the 2020 season.

Thinking TM2 isn't assured the starting spot this year (barring injury) is total nonsense. I don't care what anyone says - TM2 is the starter. Everyone knows it too - how naive do you think the other players are? Does Tom Brady need to win his starting job this year too?

I know it's a really ugly, crappy place to go ....... but, since ZA was a Maroon Shirt, and so he didn't get his current scholarship as a (true) freshman .... then that scholarship is not protected by the new-ish rules that guarantee a players scholarship over their career.

Whereas Clark and Kramer both have theirs guaranteed.

Don't think Fleck would go there. But just saying

Thinking TM2 isn't assured the starting spot this year (barring injury) is total nonsense. I don't care what anyone says - TM2 is the starter. Everyone knows it too - how naive do you think the other players are? Does Tom Brady need to win his starting job this year too?

The Brady mention brings up an interesting parallel. Pretty sure he took over from Drew Bledsoe due to an injury. Funny thing, I don't remember Bledsoe ever getting his job back - and I'd venture to guess they weren't splitting snaps in camp or practice either.

The only way Annexstad would have any chance is if Morgan gets injured or if Morgan for some really strange reason starts to struggle in several games.

Slightly off-point - but I still would like to see the coaches give the backup QB some playing time in the non-conference games. I always worry when the backup never sees the field, and then if the starter gets hurt in week #7 or 8, the backup has to come into the game cold and hasn't seen game action all year.

Personally, I would like to see the backup get to play at least a quarter in 1 or 2 pre-season games.

The Brady mention brings up an interesting parallel. Pretty sure he took over from Drew Bledsoe due to an injury. Funny thing, I don't remember Bledsoe ever getting his job back - and I'd venture to guess they weren't splitting snaps in camp or practice either.
It was a pretty nasty injury...and was traded so technically you are right. He did help them get into the Superbowl that year. Had a great season the next year in Buffalo.

Slightly off-point - but I still would like to see the coaches give the backup QB some playing time in the non-conference games. I always worry when the backup never sees the field, and then if the starter gets hurt in week #7 or 8, the backup has to come into the game cold and hasn't seen game action all year.

Personally, I would like to see the backup get to play at least a quarter in 1 or 2 pre-season games.

I feel you on this. I think last year it wasn't an option as 1. Our non-con games were far too close & 2. The backup options were both true freshmen. I think hopefully we will be able to put the hammer down a bit more in the non-con this year with the offense we have and, obviously, now we have someone with game experience and years in the system (ZA) that can come in and PJ doesn't have to worry about a huge drop-off.

The only way Annexstad would have any chance is if Morgan gets injured or if Morgan for some really strange reason starts to struggle in several games.
Exactly, there is nothing ZA can do before the season to take the job from Morgan.

I do think it will be a competition, but it'll be a competition like a poker game where Morgan gets two extra cards that happen to be the only wild cards in the deck. He could get beat, but someone would have to have the preseason to end all preseasons or Morgan would have to just be awful in preseason (both unlikely). They aren't going to bench him because Annexstad completes one more pass or Kramer has a higher QBR by 5 points or Clark has one less interception.

For all intents and purposes, Morgan is the starter. They still have to go through the motions and make sure. In the end they will start whomever they think will give them the best chance to win. It's going to take a lot for that not to be Morgan, but it's possible.

Morgan just had ostensibly the best season for a QB in Gopher history. He doesn't have to be awarded anything, he is the best QB on this team right now and his practice and play will substantiate that. Anything other than wondering who will be #2 is pure whimsy.

Is there any way we have Annexstad for 6 years?

Top Bottom