Chip on Gophers

Always good to beat WI and get the Axe, but WI and IA are not good so it doesn’t feel the same. IA won the West, but they haven’t beaten anyone. They got crushed by the one good team they played. Not being able to come out of this bad division in the last few years simply means you are bad, because winning it just required being the best of a bunch of bad to mediocre teams.

If the Gophers beat Wisconsin, at least they will have two trophies and will be bowl-eligible.

If the Gophers do not beat Wisconsin - then the griping will get a lot louder. and on the bowl, there will be griping either way. if they don't go to a bowl, people will gripe. but if they go to a bowl with a 5-7 record, there will still be griping.

Saturday is a very important game for this program.

Gophers are in a very tough spot with 3/4 of the starting LB's and DB's on the shelf. And inexperienced and far less talented players in their place plus a struggling offense and passive return game. Wisky has to be confident and are getting their best players back.

If PJ and the guys can somehow get a W, I will be very impressed.

The Strib scribblers are becoming like the KFAN yakkers: every day they all regurgitate the same stuff. Every day is Groundhog Day.

I didn't read it, but let me guess:

'Fleck needs to throw the ball more, because, you know, throwing the ball is a must.'

Always good to beat WI and get the Axe, but WI and IA are not good so it doesn’t feel the same. IA won the West, but they haven’t beaten anyone. They got crushed by the one good team they played. Not being able to come out of this bad division in the last few years simply means you are bad, because winning it just required being the best of a bunch of bad to mediocre teams.

Bad, bad, bad. Everybody is bad. Bad, bad.

Whoops... did I forget to use the word mediocre?

Okay, then. Mediocre and bad. There. Fixed it.

Always good to beat WI and get the Axe, but WI and IA are not good so it doesn’t feel the same. IA won the West, but they haven’t beaten anyone.
You’re aware that if we had not beaten Iowa they’d be 1 win away from the college football playoff?

The Strib scribblers are becoming like the KFAN yakkers: every day they all regurgitate the same stuff. Every day is Groundhog Day.

'Fleck needs to throw the ball more, because, you know, throwing the ball is a must.'
Wanna know what else is predictable? That there are some fans that will deny everything they see and not admit that the Gophers and the entire West (and half the east) of the Big Ten simply are not good football teams. ⬇️
Bad, bad, bad. Everybody is bad. Bad, bad.

Whoops... did I forget to use the word mediocre?

Okay, then. Mediocre and bad. There. Fixed it.

Sorry, Spoof. Should have said, Simply not good.

It makes me wonder: since everybody and everything sucks, why do we fans even bother?

You guessed wrong.

Go Gophers!!

Fleck apologist. No matter what your eyes tell you your lips remain firmly pressed upon PJ’s behind.

Iowa is the common man.

Not to derail the conversation by changing the subject, but I have to give you kudos for something, Spoof:

Jeff Brohm has Louisville looking pretty damn good, and yet I haven't seen you on here gloating about being right — not even once. Classy! I'm being serious. Well done.

Not to derail the conversation by changing the subject, but I have to give you kudos for something, Spoof:

Jeff Brohm has Louisville looking pretty damn good, and yet I haven't seen you on here gloating about being right — not even once. Classy! I'm being serious. Well done.
Brohm is a good coach. I also haven’t gloated about the “education” I was given this summer about how our WR core was going to be the strength of this team and our WR transfers were “can’t miss”. Oh, well now I have 🤷‍♂️.

Sorry, Spoof. Should have said, Simply not good.

It makes me wonder: since everybody and everything sucks, why do we fans even bother?
Are you suggesting that fan engagement isn’t dropping and fan apathy rising for the Gophers right now? Quickly? I tailgate in a group of 20 fans - many, like me, have been STH for decades - some of the most diehard fans I have met - and I would totally disagree with that. I would have considered myself a die hard at one point - but it wasn’t losing that soured me.

Are you suggesting that fan engagement isn’t dropping and fan apathy rising for the Gophers right now? Quickly? I tailgate in a group of 20 fans - many, like me, have been STH for decades - some of the most diehard fans I have met - and I would totally disagree with that. I would have considered myself a die hard at one point - but it wasn’t losing that soured me.

I'm not suggesting anything of the kind. Since everything is mediocre to terrible, I would assume enthusiasm would drop — and it should! Hold them all accountable, I say.

Myself, I'm giving this forum one more season. After that, if we don't see some true excellence, I fully expect everybody here to find a new hobby. Enough is enough with the mediocrity.

Maybe we can all just listen to KFAN on Saturdays instead, to get some real perspective and hard truths. Or, better still, abandon sports altogether and take up bird watching.

I've had people suggest I should simply choose a new school to root for — just change sides. Like flipping a light switch. Problem solved.

Maybe I'll become a Georgia Bulldogs fan. How often do they throw the ball? Is it often enough?

It would be awesome to beat both Iowa and Wisconsin in the same season. I think we should be very happy with that while also saying the team has become boring and almost unwatchable. Fleck and co need to consider that

Fan 1: My reaction is: mixed. It'd be like going to an upscale restaurant and having a great steak and wine, but the appetizers, sides and desserts were all so surprisingly disappointing that you can't help but be unhappy with the meal.

Fan 2: I was not one of those fans that said I'd be happy with only having two wins as long as it was the rivals. Down seasons happen, but successful seasons should be expected where prime opportunities are capitalized on, and this season and many other recent ones have been a struggle. So the quick answer is that I'd be happy with the two trophies but not happy with the season at 6-6 when the opportunity was there to win 1-3 more games. The deeper issue is the philosophy when we're in the lead. I get the explanation, but I don't agree with it and it's extremely difficult to watch and support.

Fan 3: Beating Iowa and Wisconsin in the same season would be a big milestone. But this season, and sadly many of Fleck's best years, are defined by missed opportunities. It's frustrating and deflating to have never made a Big Ten Championship. Fleck has needed to change his best and he hasn't done it.

Fan 4: In year 7, I expected much more than what P.J. delivered. Gophers fans don't expect to win the Big Ten, but we do expect to yield teams that compete each week, show signs of continuous growth and provide hope that the team is headed in the right direction. After what I've seen this season, I can't say we are there. Beating Wisconsin and Iowa is nice, but honestly should be something which happens every other year or so. That should be the expectation, not a surprise or a pipe dream.

If the Gophers beat Wisconsin, at least they will have two trophies and will be bowl-eligible.

If the Gophers do not beat Wisconsin - then the griping will get a lot louder. and on the bowl, there will be griping either way. if they don't go to a bowl, people will gripe. but if they go to a bowl with a 5-7 record, there will still be griping.

Saturday is a very important game for this program.

I think that sets the record for most time using 'gripe' in one post.

Gophers football fans are frustrated, whether the Axe stays or not. https://www.startribune.com/gophers...sin-badgers-pj-fleck-chip-scoggins/600322192/
For any fire Fleck clowns out there, this shows exactly what Gopher football is. 33 years since the program beat IA and WI in the same season. Think about that, over 3 decades.

Fleck and Kill are the 2 best coaches the Gophers have had in the last 60 years. It always comes back to who are you going to get that wants to coach here and how long would they stay? The Kansas and WA coaches are the only ones that I think might be better that may come here, and I don’t think there’s anyway the WA coach would.

Fleck has another 3 to 5 years to get better, easy. Minnesota is just not a football school, and the portal and NIL have exacerbated that.

A win today at least stops this season's bleeding of true fan support.

There is no doubt however that a transfusion is needed from somewhere.

Been pondering here at the end of this season how much has changed with College FB over the Fleck Era...not just The Portal and now NIL, but some important rules and the Covid season has to be counted as a change factor. Even more, player attitudes and expectations have changed as well in response to these other factors. Finally, fan expectations for consistently better performance has changed too.

In light of all this, has Coach really changed anything in the program itself in the face of all this external turmoil?

He's paid big money to figure that out. Certainly these times rival how the power programs shifted when the racial lines broke down in the 50s, 60s, and were gone in the 70s.

Back to transfusion. Some change appears needed. Not sure what it looks like.

I'm not suggesting anything of the kind. Since everything is mediocre to terrible, I would assume enthusiasm would drop — and it should! Hold them all accountable, I say.

Myself, I'm giving this forum one more season. After that, if we don't see some true excellence, I fully expect everybody here to find a new hobby. Enough is enough with the mediocrity.

Maybe we can all just listen to KFAN on Saturdays instead, to get some real perspective and hard truths. Or, better still, abandon sports altogether and take up bird watching.
You have a very specific expectation for what a “real fan” should say, believe, and do. It involves some combination of blind support, constant praise, ignoring the obvious, and minimizing any setbacks. You are also completely intolerant of anyone who strays from your vision of what they should be. In your head you think this makes you a better fan than others. Your wild exaggerations are tiresome.

Top Bottom