Chip on Gophers d-line: So far, that position's impact has been minimal, generating zero sacks in two games.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Trouble spots: Gophers DBs; Vikings OLs​

The weekend provided the first full slate of games for every level, and for the two most prominent teams in the state the headline should read: "Angst and anger."

Gophers fans are mad after a narrow win over a team from Ohio. Vikings fans are really mad after an overtime loss to a team from Ohio.

As for the angst, both teams had specific areas that were highlighted as either question marks or major concerns coming into the season, and this weekend magnified them.

Start with the 1-1 Gophers. The rush-and-cover tandem in pass defense has been a problem through two games. P.J. Fleck made upgrading his defensive line a priority this offseason by bringing in two graduate transfers to add to a mix of returning veterans. So far, that position's impact has been minimal, generating zero sacks in two games.

The front seven needs to create more pressure to help a secondary that has been susceptible to big plays. The Gophers already have allowed six touchdown passes (tied for 118th nationally) and nine completions that have netted at least 20 yards.

Starting cornerbacks Terell Smith and Coney Durr each allowed touchdown passes against Miami (Ohio) on Saturday. Both players were in position to make a play, but they didn't finish the deal.

Fleck talked Monday about the need to have better technique in those situations. He noted that his defensive backs had solid technique in coverage in the first half, limiting the RedHawks to only five completions for 57 yards.

Go Gophers!!

Really surprised by their lack of impact. I thought they would have been game changers. Maybe they will with more time, but how much more time do they have to improve before they make a difference. Need it this weekend to begin.

Really surprised by their lack of impact. I thought they would have been game changers. Maybe they will with more time, but how much more time do they have to improve before they make a difference. Need it this weekend to begin.
I can give them a pass on no sacks vs OSU, but no excuse to not have a sack against Miami.

I can give them a pass on no sacks vs OSU, but no excuse to not have a sack against Miami.
True. I didn't watch close enough in either game to see the pressure they put "without stats", but it seemed like they were non existent. I'm talking just be in position so someone else can make the play, or better.

Cheney had a sure sack and whiffed on the tackle. Bad, yes, but showed they could break through. Had him on the run a few times and forced him to throw it away and also a pick. CU QB not so quick. We'll get some Saurday.

The only lineman I noticed that got pretty consistent pressure vs Miami was MJ Anderson.

I like MJ Anderson #3 outside and Deangelo Carter #99 inside to hopefully get on the football field more in the coming weeks. Both have a little more speed and I think the ability to use there hands a little more than what we have seen from the others.

From the scheme I have seen so far we have not really asked the front 4 to generate as much pressure as you would think. We really have not blitzed much if hardly at all and zero zone blitzes. Seems like we are filling one of the linebacker spots with bringing the safety #21 or #11 up a lot in run support also to try and fit to those two.

Top Bottom