Chip: Keeping Tracy Claeys is a reasonable option in Gophers' messy situation

GopherLady

Reaction score
Two weeks ago, I thought it would be hard for Claeys to survive this messy situation. Emotions were raw. Allegations in a sexual assault investigation that led to suspensions of 10 players were reprehensible. Claeys publicly backed his players’ boycott with a poorly worded tweet that put him at odds with his bosses.

Now I’m not sure how this will end. Either outcome seems possible. But as a decision nears, here’s my vote: Retain Claeys and add one season to his contract with the same buyout provision ($250,000 per season), giving him three seasons remaining. I see enough positives in Claeys and his staff to maintain continuity.

http://www.startribune.com/keeping-...-option-in-gophers-messy-situation/409422385/

Well Chip sure changed his mind, after being one of the first to yell for Tracy to basically be the fall guy who gets burned at the stake.

More intelligent people are beginning to weigh-in on the issue. And it is being exposed for what it is. The U will suffer horrible backlash if they fire Claeys for that tweet.

Well Chip sure changed his mind, after being one of the first to yell for Tracy to basically be the fall guy who gets burned at the stake.

More intelligent people are beginning to weigh-in on the issue. And it is being exposed for what it is. The U will suffer horrible backlash if they fire Claeys for that tweet.
I think they'll suffer almost zero backlash

Finally, some common sense from a journalist. As another GH poster pointed out, we've had three winning coaches since Bernie Bierman: Warmath, Mason and Claeys. And Warmath and Mason were close to .500 after 18 and 10 years, respectively.

I think Claeys stays. I think the reason they haven't announced Claeys staying is just because of the holidays. Think about it, Claeys didn't get to spend any of the holidays with his family. After the bowl he probably went to spend some time with family, as I assume a lot of the staff did. A lot of places also observed today as a holiday since New Year's was on Sunday this year, I can assume the university may have as well. Given those two things, the first available time to talk about contract stuff was Tuesday.

Coyle also probably did phone up Fleck, why? To know what numbers he'd want. If Claeys wanted more than that, he can use that as a bargaining chip against him. I expect Claeys to be renewed under a very similar contract as he had. Similar pay, raises, and maybe 5 years. With a stern "Get things under control" from Coyle since, regardless of where you stand on the issue, the players put themselves in a dumb situation to begin with and that needs to be reined in.

Chip sure made a 180 degree turn. I suspect that Claeys will be told he's staying but no contract extension. So then it's up to Claeys to see if he wants to stay under these circumstances. I predict he will, since he's got no other options, but he could get a good job as coordinator somewhere and rebuild his reputation. I do feel bad for Claeys since he is a good guy.

Top Bottom