Chip: Gophers coordinator Joe Rossi's eye for detail traces to peewee football days

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Chip:

Rossi studied video of his peewee games. In ninth grade, he became Conforti's assistant coach. Rossi would shower after freshman practice and then ride with Conforti to coach the Morningside Little Vikings. He coached the youngsters throughout his own high school career.

"He had a clarity of purpose even then," Conforti said.

Rossi chose to play at Division III Allegheny College in part because coaches offered him a work study position in the football office. He started every game in his playing career and earned the trust of his coaches as an assistant-coach-in-training.

His defensive coordinator, Jack Leipheimer, assigned him an assortment of projects. One day, Leipheimer asked Rossi to watch every single play from a game and draw a line showing what all 22 players on the field did on each play after the ball was snapped. The exercise took him hours to complete. His report was meticulous.

Go Gophers!!

Interesting. Clearly shows what player participated in a play the proper way and which one perhaps didn't.

The more are learn about Rossi the more I think being a coordinator is what he loves to do. Articles keep mentioning him as a potential future HC somewhere but I just don't think that's what he wants to do.

The more are learn about Rossi the more I think being a coordinator is what he loves to do. Articles keep mentioning him as a potential future HC somewhere but I just don't think that's what he wants to do.
He has already written his personal HC guidebook. I wouldn't be so sure of his goals.

Top Bottom