Chip: Fair catch or no fair catch? Regardless, football gods smiled on Gophers

I'm not getting the critiques of Chip's article. I think he sums it up on pretty well, IMO.

I disagree with him on 1 point, his statement that the call decided the game. Hawkeyes still had plenty of time to maneuver into FG range or score an offensive TD.

Walley's INT decided the game.
His arm stayed shoulder height as he waved, not straight up above his head.

Does that constitute a fair catch?

Depends on whether the person answering that question lives in Minnesota or Iowa.
Chip gives us the what, that he waved his hand, misleads the reader by talking about where his hand was which is irrelevant, and then asking the question "does that constitute a fair catch" and then rather than saying yes because of the rule book stating any waving makes a ball dead, he says it's a matter of opinion.

Chip gives us the what, that he waved his hand, misleads the reader by talking about where his hand was which is irrelevant, and then asking the question "does that constitute a fair catch" and then rather than saying yes because of the rule book stating any waving makes a ball dead, he says it's a matter of opinion.
Umm yeah, that's what's playing out on both teams msg boards.

As a column it's seems fine to me.

Sure, but one side is wrong and one side is right. Chip says what happened, he waved his hand, and then neglects to mention that any waving is a fair catch. If columns are meant to mislead and leave the reader less informed then sure, it was a great column.

Sure, but one side is wrong and one side is right. Chip says what happened, he waved his hand, and then neglects to mention that any waving is a fair catch. If columns are meant to mislead and leave the reader less informed then sure, it was a great column.
As a columnist I don't think his role is to decide which side is right or wrong, nor recite the rule book or confirm the officials got it correct.

If he was the beat reporter, than sure.

It seems pretty innocuous. He described the play. Hawkeye fans have differing opinions than Gopher fans.

Furthermore, pretty much everyone reading the article has already drawn their own conclusions. If they need more information besides Chip to decide they can do it on whatever device they choose, even those that get a Sunday print edition on their doorstep or pick one up at the store.

Last edited:

DeJean (the best athlete in the field) and Ferentz, desperate to make something happen, decided to cheat. DeJean used lots of frantic hand signals in the hopes of convincing a poorly-coached ST unit to lay back or relax. It worked on the field, because we have a poorly-coached punt coverage unit. But the replay booth caught DeJean’s act. So ultimately it didn’t work. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Chip should have included all of the college football world instead of just Minnesota in his comparison. Nobody who doesn't wear black and gold colored glasses and understands the rules of the situation could honestly dispute the officials ruling. I have no issue with it otherwise.

I think most of you are missing what he is saying. I don't interpret his words as answering the question of "What something is or is not." I think he is saying what people believe will be influenced by what side they are on. I don't think that statement should even be regarded as controversial these days. Nowadays many, perhaps even most, people get their "news" from sources that fit their viewpoints.

Chip should have included all of the college football world instead of just Minnesota in his comparison. Nobody who doesn't wear black and gold colored glasses and understands the rules of the situation could honestly dispute the officials ruling. I have no issue with it otherwise.

I don't see why.

Most people who are fans of teams other than these two really don't care much about this ruling (although I will say that some of the fans at other Big Ten team blogs seem quite amused by Iowa's loss and their fans' reactions).

As a columnist I don't think his role is to decide which side is right or wrong, nor recite the rule book or confirm the officials got it correct.

If he was the beat reporter, than sure.

It seems pretty innocuous. He described the play. Hawkeye fans have differing opinions than Gopher fans.

Furthermore, pretty much everyone reading the article has already drawn their own conclusions. If they need more information besides Chip to decide they can do it on whatever device they choose, even those that get a Sunday print edition on their doorstep or pick one up at the store.
re: the bolded --- why is that the difference between beat/columist?

to your last point I assume many of the stribs readership hadn't even seen the play 😅

Normally I really enjoy Chip's columns, and consider him one of the best in town (admittedly a low bar, but still). He actually loves college football, follows the sport and Gophers closely, doesn't take stupid cheap shots, etc.

But this piece was awful, and seemed lazy. I expect better from Chip.

I don't see why.

Most people who are fans of teams other than these two really don't care much about this ruling (although I will say that some of the fans at other Big Ten team blogs seem quite amused by Iowa's loss and their fans' reactions).
I'm only saying that a fan of any team other than Iowa who saw the video would agree with the replay ruling! Chip made it sound like the ruling is open to some subjective interpretation and that's blatantly untrue!

All clear points and correct. The obvious point going forward is did no one think to instruct Crawford to kick it out of bounds or did Crawford simply fail to execute that?There is no way in the world an invalid fair catch signal should ever be discussed in that situation.
Crawford kicked an uncatchable punt
The returner fielded it off the bounce 2 yards from the sideline with 5 gophers around him.

Hard for me to blame it on the punter or on the guy who told him where to aim it.

I blame the gophers who let up on the play for him getting loose.
Not sure if they let up because of the hand wave or because of proximity to the sideline. But them letting up is why he got loose.

#14, 24, 27, 6 all let up for sure
#16 completely and voluntarily lost his leverage.

No it isn’t.
Not a single person has argued he fair caught it.

So half of his analysis of what people are saying is straight up untrue.

re: the bolded --- why is that the difference between beat/columist?

to your last point I assume many of the stribs readership hadn't even seen the play 😅
Beat writers are essentially reporting whereas columnists are adding commentary/opinions in addition to the game story.

Last edited:

No it isn’t.
Not a single person has argued he fair caught it.

So half of his analysis of what people are saying is straight up untrue.
Actually when I got up this morning my TV was tuned to FS1, because I was watching the baseball game last night. The had The Carton Show, some talking head with 3 jocks, assume football players.

Never seen the show before, but right away they were talking about the play. The host and 1 other guy were adamant that they should have been a "no call, let the players decide" situation.

Then they started talking about the Eagles and I flipped the channel.

They were discussing it on the Dan Patrick show today and seemed to believe Iowa got hosed...

Actually when I got up this morning my TV was tuned to FS1, because I was watching the baseball game last night. The had The Carton Show, some talking head with 3 jocks, assume football players.

Never seen the show before, but right away they were talking about the play. The host and 1 other guy were adamant that they should have been a "no call, let the players decide" situation.

Then they started talking about the Eagles and I flipped the channel.
Yeah. But the people saying the opposite of that aren’t saying it was a fair catch. Is my point

Zero people are arguing it is a fair catch.
The title of the article is “fair catch or no fair catch”
Both sides of the argument agree it wasn’t a fair catch.

I'm only saying that a fan of any team other than Iowa who saw the video would agree with the replay ruling! Chip made it sound like the ruling is open to some subjective interpretation and that's blatantly untrue!

I don't read it that way. He's not saying what he believes. He's saying what most within the respective fan bases will believe and I think he is correct on that point. Like I said before, I don't know why his point is even controversial on this board. People believe incorrect things all of the time. Some do because of unintentional ignorance but others do because of willful ignorance (it fits their preferred story).

Crawford kicked an uncatchable punt
The returner fielded it off the bounce 2 yards from the sideline with 5 gophers around him.

Hard for me to blame it on the punter or on the guy who told him where to aim it.

I blame the gophers who let up on the play for him getting loose.
Not sure if they let up because of the hand wave or because of proximity to the sideline. But them letting up is why he got loose.

#14, 24, 27, 6 all let up for sure
#16 completely and voluntarily lost his leverage.
Wow I missed someone taking a shot at Crawford. Had the play been legal the fault for the return would be 100% on the coverage guys who failed to make a tackle. Punter did his job just fine on that play.

Wow I missed someone taking a shot at Crawford. Had the play been legal the fault for the return would be 100% on the coverage guys who failed to make a tackle. Punter did his job just fine on that play.
They kick coverage all bunched up in one place. Someone should have been cutting off the line down the sideline.

They kick coverage all bunched up in one place. Someone should have been cutting off the line down the sideline.
Correct. The player who did stopped playing and lost leverage when he did.

Did he quit playing because of the wave off or because he thought the returner was going to step out, the world will never know.

Correct. The player who did stopped playing and lost leverage when he did.

Did he quit playing because of the wave off or because he thought the returner was going to step out, the world will never know.
For some reason Bryson (#16) jumped to his left where all the other defenders were.

Someone in the multiple threads on this topic suggested the ST coach blew it by not “telling “ Crawford to punt it out of bounds. I thought it was a good kick. Away from the return man, close to the sideline, and would have taken a few more valuable seconds off the clock. The reason the coverage failed is that the return man deceived with an invalid fair catch.

Sure and that one was on 4th and 1 at the goal line.

It absolutely matters if it's never called. If you want it called by the letter of the law, then the Iowa player also should have been called for moving the ball after the whistle and the penalties should have been offsetting.

That call at that time was egregious.
I respect your view. On to the next topic? :)

True, but as I'm sure you realize, none of that makes it the wrong call.

How many touchdowns have you seen nullified because of a holding call or some other infraction that occurred well before the touchdown? Plenty I would think. This incident wasn't much different except there were no penalty yards tacked on.
Holding calls are made while the play is underway. This should have immediately been dead as no play the instant he began to advance the ball illegally.

Yeah. He stopped playing. Not sure why
Because if the ball cannot be advanced he doesn’t want to be penalized 15 yards for blasting DeJean on a dead ball. That’s why the rule is there so the kicking team knows if it’s a live situation or dead ball.

Chip was playing LeJean’s game. Keep ‘‘em confused.

Because if the ball cannot be advanced he doesn’t want to be penalized 15 yards for blasting DeJean on a dead ball. That’s why the rule is there so the kicking team knows if it’s a live situation or dead ball.
Bingo! Not sure I’ve seen the risk of penalty issue in all the cyber ink spilled on this interesting topic.

Top Bottom