Chip: Athan Kaliakmanis looks the part despite Gophers' growing pains

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Chip:

It's obvious that Kaliakmanis has all the physical tools and confidence necessary to be a successful Big Ten quarterback. Pressure situations like Thursday will only accelerate his development.

Kaliakmanis showed off his strong arm by firing passes into tight windows. His throws were mostly short-to-intermediate routes. He took a few deep shots to Jackson in the fourth quarter, including one that should have resulted in a pass interference penalty that was not called.

The most encouraging part of Kaliakmanis' performance was his efficiency on third down. In the first quarter he had three third-down conversions on passes and one on a nine-yard scramble.

Go Gophers!!

I uh, wasn’t anymore encouraged by tonight. I felt at best tonight was a push.

Looked like a soph qb on a big ten squad that didn't have a run game. He absolutely wasn't lacking in confidence and was rifling the ball (occasionally too hard, IMO) where it needed to be. I'm fine with his performance in the first game. I enjoyed the expanded passing attack. He's going to get way better.

Looked like a soph qb on a big ten squad that didn't have a run game. He absolutely wasn't lacking in confidence and was rifling the ball (occasionally too hard, IMO) where it needed to be. I'm fine with his performance in the first game. I enjoyed the expanded passing attack. He's going to get way better.
Hopefully, they can shore up the rushing attack by the time they play NC. This kind of performance on the ground won't cut it against them!

I can almost assure you UNC has nowhere near the run defense that Nebraska showed tonight.
That would be awesome. I will say that on many of those runs that Tyler was literally one broken tackle from having huge gains. I counted at least 5 like that. Perhaps that was the difference between continuing to run vs. throwing more. I do know that Mo broke those almost consistently and that’s why he was so good. Wanted to see Tyler’s home run speed but it wasn’t able to happen. There did seem to be some holes but Nebby quickly sealed them off. Will be interesting moving forward.

That would be awesome. I will say that on many of those runs that Tyler was literally one broken tackle from having huge gains. I counted at least 5 like that. Perhaps that was the difference between continuing to run vs. throwing more. I do know that Mo broke those almost consistently and that’s why he was so good. Wanted to see Tyler’s home run speed but it wasn’t able to happen. There did seem to be some holes but Nebby quickly sealed them off...

Great insights. Yea, it looks like Tyler needs a seal block and then can outrun defenders with his speed. He's not going to bust a tackle. I do like his shiftiness and actually liked him in the game despite the low output.

The arm talent by Athan is there, he can run, make all the throws, and he definitely showed that off tonight and you can see the potential. He just looked a bit slow on some reads, the two throws in the end zone on the last drive were hard catches because he threw the ball too late, and didn’t anticipate Jackson breaking open. If that ball comes out a second earlier it’s an easy throw and catch. Gotta improve that, and believe he will, but potential is definitely there.

I thought AK looked great all things considered. He had the one bad INT, but his decision making for the most part was good. He did well scrambling and avoided hits, he never really looked flustered. The missed PI and then about 5 or 6 dropped balls brought his completion percentage down. Should’ve been over 60%.

No joke, I thought the exact same thing. Someone should put together a side-by-side video.
The arm talent by Athan is there, he can run, make all the throws, and he definitely showed that off tonight and you can see the potential. He just looked a bit slow on some reads, the two throws in the end zone on the last drive were hard catches because he threw the ball too late, and didn’t anticipate Jackson breaking open. If that ball comes out a second earlier it’s an easy throw and catch. Gotta improve that, and believe he will, but potential is definitely there.
100% this. He made throws last night that showed off his arm strength. Improving his reads in coverage and the oncoming rush will be key. Experience will only make him better in those areas.

Expanded passing attack? There was nothing else. We better relearn how to run block.

I'll give it a few weeks before I start to get concerned
We'll see if this game was an outlier. Only 77 yards in the Syracuse game last year, also. It's not 78 degrees and dry for every home game -- defenses fear a relentless rushing attack.

Not really excited about his 3/4 arm angle.

We'll see if this game was an outlier. Only 77 yards in the Syracuse game last year, also. It's not 78 degrees and dry for every home game -- defenses fear a relentless rushing attack.
Maybe our running style isn't suited well to the 3-3-5 defense.

One game.....give it some time to see what this new look offense actually looks like.

Among other things I like his mobility and he is also a threat to keep it and go.

Top Bottom