Chip Armelin vertical

khoffman43

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay on this but one of the announcers (Dakich, I believe) said that Armelin has the best vertical on the team. Any truth to this? Or was he just talking to talk?

Chip is a great athlete but I assumed Rodney was the best leaper on the team. Shortly after he said this Chip elevated over Lauderdale (kind of) and dunked it so that made me reconsider. Thoughts?

Sorry for the delay on this but one of the announcers (Dakich, I believe) said that Armelin has the best vertical on the team. Any truth to this? Or was he just talking to talk?

Chip is a great athlete but I assumed Rodney was the best leaper on the team. Shortly after he said this Chip elevated over Lauderdale (kind of) and dunked it so that made me reconsider. Thoughts?

I've actually heard from some pretty good sources that Mbakwe's got a better vertical than Rodney from a standing leap, but that Rodney's better with a couple steps. I hadn't heard that Chip was in the conversation for highest leaper.

I don't know if it's true or not, but remember Rodney is taller than Chip, so it doesn't mean that just because Rodney elevates higher that his vertical is better than Chip.

I don't know if it's true or not, but remember Rodney is taller than Chip, so it doesn't mean that just because Rodney elevates higher that his vertical is better than Chip.

Chip appears to have some serious leaping ability but I highly doubt the accuracy of the announcer's statement. I have to believe that Rodney has the highest vertical on the team. I don't think I've ever seen anybody that goes higher, quicker than Rodney.

Not sure, but does anyone have video of that dunk. It wasn't on the video recaps that i've seen.

Either way, I didn't know the dude could throw down like that. He keeps surprising me. Hopefully he keeps improving, could have a huge upside.

vertical or not, Rodney is one dimensional, and that dimension may be in The Twilight Zone and somewhat etherial

I don't know why so many people are so high on Rodney Williams. He has NOT shown me a damned thing. But I know nothing.

Not sure, but does anyone have video of that dunk. It wasn't on the video recaps that i've seen.

My work blocks Youtube :mad: , but there is a video of Chip Armelin highlights from 2/6/2011 that includes the dunk.

Just go to youtube and search "Armelin" and "2/6" and you should find it. Recorded from the stands somewhere.

supposedly by the start of the year measurements and from a standing, 2 ft jump Trevor was 2" better than Rodney. Trevor 42, Rodney 40 or something in that range. Don't remember Chip being talked about.

That was a good dunk by Chip no matter how many inches of vertical it was though. Rodney really went up and got the alley-oop attempt also, but the most impressive leaping of the game for me was Sullinger getting up and back up while Sampson was still thinking about jumping for the first time. This sequence was in the 2nd half and it was two explosive leaps in a row, one missing the shot and the other getting back up for the rebound. More impressed by Sullinger after watching him in person. (Except he went down pretty quick and easy when Colt caught him with the elbow)

I would still love to see Chip play CB for the football team at some point in his career. Guy would be a stud.

Any number of these guys can jump high. What sets Rodney apart is how fast he can get up. Don't forget that he is pretty tall and has some real ape hangers for arms, too. Too bad it doesn't translate into a first step, dribble or jump shot.

If this is true, kiss Chip goodbye. Him and Rodney will both be lottery picks.

Not because the product is better obviously. I grew up around football. My dad coached, I coach, ect. Been season ticket holders forever, haven't missed more than 1 home game in a season since I was about 5.

If this is true, kiss Chip goodbye. Him and Rodney will both be lottery picks.

Just perusing the Hole before bed over a couple beers and almost soiled my laptop with a spray of beer after reading this line Gall..... well played.... well played.

not crazy

IIRC Chip was being recruited for football first which is how he slipped into the Gophers laps. From what I can see, it is not hard to imagine him excelling at a skill position in football either....

Trevor has the highest vertical from a standing jump

I read it in Sid Harman's column and I think on here that that Trevor had a higher standing vertical than Rodney. I would bet Chip's is within a couple of inches of theirs.

Top Bottom