Chicago Tribune picks final Big Ten Power Rankings

DAMN #2....

Anyway I'm with Chryst on the call too. Against Wisc, US, anyone else, that's a BS call.

As much as I hate the Hawkeyes, I still love the Hawkeyes' locker room Hokey Pokey dance after the Holiday Bowl (per the link).

DAMN #2....

Anyway I'm with Chryst on the call too. Against Wisc, US, anyone else, that's a BS call.

Loved the Nebraska line calling them the Kardashians of college football.

The PI against Wisconsin was boarderline. I think if the receiver, who was clearly just out there to block, had waited a bit longer before he started blocking the DB they might have been ok. Or maybe if he sold that he was actually trying to run a route a little better. That said, couldn't have happened to a better team and I won't shed any tears for the Badgers. Plus as the writeup mentions, bad call or not, if you turn the ball over 4 times you deserve to lose. Wish they would have had their turnover issues in the game against us.

Good writeup though and based on how the season went I would probably rank the teams very similar to this.

Per the link:

2. Minnesota (11-2)
Fans no longer mock “Row the Boat”; they research what it means. The Gophers won 11 games for the first time since 1904. They finally hosted ESPN’s “College GameDay.” Mohamed Ibrahim broke a million Auburn tackles. P.J. Fleck spoke of making Minnesota a “blue blood” program. Tyler Johnson is off to the NFL, but quarterback Tanner Morgan and eight more starters on offense return.

Go Gophers!!

That is the best thing I’ve read this decade! #2?! Wow! The Kardashian comment is the best analogy ever.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a team start out as hot as Maryland then fold up like a cheap suit for the duration. They were absolutely terrible. Do they even lift?

Northwestern’s face plant was probably a blip. Same with Purdue.

Nebraska's continued struggles are a joy. Martinez‘ sophomore swoon was amazing. Perhaps Frost is decidedly “old school” and may not mix well with the new generation of players. Next year very important for Nebraska.

Wisconsin was better than predicted. Ditto for Iowa. They will certainly be much worse next year ?.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a team start out as hot as Maryland then fold up like a cheap suit for the duration. They were absolutely terrible. Do they even lift?
You must have missed 2018 Maryland

A well deserved recognition!

Good link harley, thanks. I agree with Gophers ranked no 2 in big ten, behind only Ohio State. I know we got beat by the Badgers but beating Auburn outweighs that loss. Iowa game was basically a toss-up, and Iowa beat USC by multiple touchdowns.

Wisconsin was better than predicted. Ditto for Iowa. They will certainly be much worse next year ?.

Iowa has a very tough crossover schedule next year (OSU, Penn State, and Michigan State) and they lose (or likely will lose - 12 days left to announce early entry) some very key players (including Espeneza, hopefully, and QB Stanley) so I don't see how they could get the same number of wins.

Wisconsin was underrated because they were abnormally kind of mediocre in 2018. Their crossover schedule isn't too tough but they do play Notre Dame and Appalachian State in non-conference. Despite losing Taylor, their best receiver, and those two nasty linebackers, I'm not confident they'll be much worse. They always seem to reload rather than rebuild.

Good link harley, thanks. I agree with Gophers ranked no 2 in big ten, behind only Ohio State. I know we got beat by the Badgers but beating Auburn outweighs that loss. Iowa game was basically a toss-up, and Iowa beat USC by multiple touchdowns.

As much as I like the #2 placement, I disagree on being ranked ahead of Wisconsin. Unlike Iowa, they beat us decisively. They had a fluke loss to Illinois, but their other losses were 2 to OSU and a 1 point loss to a one-loss Oregon team where they had 4 turnovers.

Iowa beat USC by multiple touchdowns but the game was 28-24 in the 3rd quarter before Iowa
(specifically AJ Espeneza) knocked USC's starting QB out of the game. After that, USC couldn't do very well on offense.

DAMN #2....

Looked like a bit of "pick play" plus it looked like the receiver held the DB so he couldn't help cover the TE.

Indiana's version had us #4. OSU, WI, PSU, MN
If I wasn't so lazy I'd find the link.

Given we beat a higher ranked bowl team and PSU, seems silly to have PSU ahead of us, but whatever.
Polls and opinions that don't matter... don't matter.

Looked like a bit of "pick play" plus it looked like the receiver held the DB so he couldn't help cover the TE.

PSU got called for a pick play against the Gophs too late in the game. I loved the call then.

Top Bottom