Cheney in the portal

I think a lot of the timing of this has to do with the early signing period. You play during the year and get an idea of where you fit on the depth chart. If you’re not happy with where you sit you decide to move on. Your fear is, that with the early signing only 2-3 weeks away, you need to let schools know that you’re available before signing day and a lot of the spots are gone. Gives coaches a few weeks to make a decision on you or somebody else they might of been considering. Once the early signing period is over there will be considerably less opportunities out there.
If this held, we'd be seeing all kinds of kids entering the portal this week, probably far more than will after this coming weekend. But guessing that does not hold.

It makes you wonder how much recruiting is going on with players currently on a roster. You would think as a player you are taking a huge chance of not landing with a P5 team especially if you had limited playing time. Maybe they don't care if they are with a P5 team and just want playimg time.
Technically direct contact with players is a no no and probably not worth the risk to college programs. But, high school coaches can be the conduit between the two parties without breaking any rules and I know this happens. Typically the player reaching out to his former coach.

I'd imagine every situation is different and it could even differ by position but I'd guess you are right. Many will drop to a G5 conference or go FCS.

Last edited:

Are you able to show this? I'm not doubting you, I'd like to verify. I say this because a NLI is a contract and once graduated, that contract is complete as the player/school completed their obligations. This is why a graduate could transfer without sitting out a year.
I don't have that verification for you, but I think this is basically an "upgrade" of that grad transfer rule.

They just finally threw their hands up in the air and said "F it, you get one free transfer, however you want to do it, period"

I don't have that verification for you, but I think this is basically an "upgrade" of that grad transfer rule.

They just finally threw their hands up in the air and said "F it, you get one free transfer, however you want to do it, period"
It's still too much speculation for me to call it truth. The "contract" is binding to undergraduates. Once a graduate, it should be a new contract. Rules/requirements are different as well.

It's still too much speculation for me to call it truth. The "contract" is binding to undergraduates. Once a graduate, it should be a new contract. Rules/requirements are different as well.
https://www.espn.com/college-sports...clears-last-step-starts-2021-22-academic-year

The one-time exception will count for athletes who transfer after graduating. Previously, NCAA rules permitted athletes who had graduated to transfer and be immediately eligible.

Now, if an athlete has already use a one-time exception for a transfer as an undergraduate, the athlete is not automatically eligible as a graduate transfer. Athletes can still apply for a waiver to become eligible under certain circumstances.

Lots of interesting points. My take is that PJ has the ability to be pretty dang persuasive,,,if he really felt like these guys were elite, instrumental and irreplaceable to the team's success going forward...well they'd still be Gophers.
PJ sees opportunity..."Best of luck! Thank you for being a Gopher." As he turns to make a phone call to his recruiting coordinator.

The talent that PJ assembled on the D line is leaving. Who will replace these kids?

Thin on the D line next year....
Given the extra year of eligibility, I would think the Top 20 FCS or G5 D-linemen will be in the portal within a couple of weeks.

Right. A "golden parachute", both for them and the program, if there was for example a violation of team rules that wouldn't rise to a criminal complaint or an EOAA charge.

Then the team doesn't have to admit anything, can simply say the players up and decided to leave right in the middle of things, and the players can just say they up and decided to leave right in the middle of things. Nothing to see here!
You say innocent until proven guilty and then wildly speculate that they did something wrong. With no basis whatsoever. Ok…

wildly speculate that they did something wrong.
a) it is wild guessing, as I have made abundantly clear

b) I have no idea what they did or didn't do, and am not making any assertion either way.

Are you able to show this? I'm not doubting you, I'd like to verify. I say this because a NLI is a contract and once graduated, that contract is complete as the player/school completed their obligations. This is why a graduate could transfer without sitting out a year.
MplsGopher cited to info on the rule change. NLI is not in any way related to this. NLI deals with separate agreements to which neither the school nor the NCAA are a party. While most of these contracts will be short term during the period of the athlete’s eligibility, there is nothing that requires that. As an example, Gable Steveson’s agreement with WWE is reportedly for three years, extending far beyond his remaining collegiate career.

MplsGopher cited to info on the rule change. NLI is not in any way related to this. NLI deals with separate agreements to which neither the school nor the NCAA are a party. While most of these contracts will be short term during the period of the athlete’s eligibility, there is nothing that requires that. As an example, Gable Steveson’s agreement with WWE is reportedly for three years, extending far beyond his remaining collegiate career.
Don't get your accronym confused

NLI = National Letter of Intent which players sign prior to enrollment

NIL = Name Image & Likeness, which is a contract to receive money for endorsement s

Correct.

Are you confusing NLI (National Letter of Intent) with NIL (Name, Image, Likeness). Agreed, entirely separate agreements with similar initials.

Don't get your accronym confused

NLI = National Letter of Intent which players sign prior to enrollment

NIL = Name Image & Likeness, which is a contract to receive money for endorsement s
Correct.

Are you confusing NLI (National Letter of Intent) with NIL (Name, Image, Likeness). Agreed, entirely separate agreements with similar initials.
Apologies, guess I read that and responded too quickly.

a) it is wild guessing, as I have made abundantly clear

b) I have no idea what they did or didn't do, and am not making any assertion either way.
And your first guess is that they did something wrong? That’s how rumors start, so you probably shouldn’t do that.

Top Bottom