Cheney in the portal

The portal should be dropped - it is making a mockery of school loyalty and program loyalty and is creating a second recruiting season in which coaches can poach players from their opponents. Another example of libertarian anarchy in our society.

The portal should be dropped - it is making a mockery of school loyalty and program loyalty and is creating a second recruiting season in which coaches can poach players from their opponents. Another example of libertarian anarchy in our society.
LOL. It's a business. These kids are the "producers" in a major, major money making business. Loyalty is for high school. Coaches, AD's, and players should all have the same ability to bounce around to a place where they feel wanted and where they have the best chance for success.

Yours is an outdated take and doesn't consider the players perspective.

Last edited:

Nothing like letting adults decide what they want to do, or change their mind.

Sorry that bothers you.

Didn't Fleck say it's his job to out-recruit the previous players on the roster? or was that a Killism?
It was PJ.

That is the cold hard facts of having a competitive football program.

for years, a lot of people have been advocating for college athletes to have more freedom - including the ability to profit off NIL and also the ability to transfer without having to sit out.

well, freedom has arrived. to some, it looks like anarchy. to others, it looks like opportunity.

for all the Gopher fans complaining about the portal - stop for a moment and picture the Gopher defense without Gibbens, Pinkney et al.

I would say the Gophers are still a net plus in the portal.

without looking, I'm sure some web site is tracking "portal winners and losers" in D1.

Cheney was actually pretty brutal. No loss here at all. It opens up another spot.
I get it, and add in Andersen and the losses mount. Never have enough quality at D-line.

for years, a lot of people have been advocating for college athletes to have more freedom - including the ability to profit off NIL and also the ability to transfer without having to sit out.

well, freedom has arrived. to some, it looks like anarchy. to others, it looks like opportunity.

for all the Gopher fans complaining about the portal - stop for a moment and picture the Gopher defense without Gibbens, Pinkney et al.

without looking, I'm sure some web site is tracking "portal winners and losers" in D1.
Yeah, without seeing any sort of breakdown it sure feels like the portal has helped us way more than it has hurt us to this point.

Biggest difference being that in college you have to make all these moves during the off season whereas in the NFL you can sign guys in season to fill holes in your roster.
In the wacky, non-sensical world of college football, it's probably coming soon.

In the wacky, non-sensical world of college football, it's probably coming soon.
That would be messy and I really hope it never happens.

Could you imagine a school like Ohio State, losing a key guy to injury and being able to just go pluck a player from someone else's roster and have him play right away? Just can't see the NCAA ever letting something like that happen, it would be a nightmare.

Meh....it's college football of the new age. I've stopped getting flustered about all of the new changes they seem to come out with every year. I'll go along with the rules and still watch...not much we can do about it.

I look at it this way...It makes it easier for the under-recruited guys that are excelling at the lower-level programs to move up and prove they're P5-worthy (think Gibbens). And, on the other hand, it allows some kid that's lost in the depth chart the option to easily move on and find another university that'll get them some playing time...and still get that degree.

In the end, it could be better for all the players. And my selfish side says this will help programs like Minnesota.

Again:

why would they drop out a week early? And with a conf champ game still on the table?

Was the Indiana game really the last straw? Why not do it after Iowa? Why not earlier? Why not wait until after the Wisc game?

Again:

why would they drop out a week early? And with a conf champ game still on the table?

Was the Indiana game really the last straw? Why not do it after Iowa? Why not earlier? Why not wait until after the Wisc game?
All interesting questions and all unlikely to be answered unless the student comes out and gives their reasons for wanting to transfer now as opposed to at the end of the season.

All interesting questions and all unlikely to be answered unless the student comes out and gives their reasons for wanting to transfer now as opposed to at the end of the season.
100% agreed. Sucks to be a fan.

Or you know....we lost 2 potential backups for next year who would have continued to provide depth.

Really don't know how anyone can just assume Cheney who has barely played this year would have been a starter next year. Can sort of see it with Anderson but not Cheney. And if Big O is coming back then Anderson's position for next year would have been murkier as well.
That is why I said “potential”.
Really don’t know how anyone can just assume I said he would be a starter.

They only get one free transfer going forward however without sitting out. We just need to get through all the COVID factors on rosters and see what the new normal is.

I would guess that most P5 programs are a net plus.

They only get one free transfer going forward however without sitting out. We just need to get through all the COVID factors on rosters and see what the new normal is.
I believe players also get a free grad transfer if they so elect.

It could be the last straw. Game was out of hand in the 4th quarter. When did back ups get in the game? I would think quite a few non-starter or non-rotational guys may get tired of going to practice and busting their ass all week and not getting any or minimal playing time, even in a blowout.

It could be the last straw. Game was out of hand in the 4th quarter. When did back ups get in the game? I would think quite a few non-starter or non-rotational guys may get tired of going to practice and busting their ass all week and not getting any or minimal playing time, even in a blowout.
I wondered this too. I almost expected Annexstad to trot out there for the Victory formation snaps which would have been insulting. I can't imagine these guys jonesing much for charity snaps.

So you make your stand with one week left in the season?? Hmmm. Just odd.

So you make your stand with one week left in the season?? Hmmm. Just odd.
I agree the timing seems rather odd. one week left in the season and a week-long trip to a bowl game along with the bowl gifts/swag.

pure speculation on my part, but perhaps "entering the portal" is the new way removing players from the roster for whatever reason (off-field incident, grades, etc). In the old days it was simply referred to as "kicked off the team"

I wondered this too. I almost expected Annexstad to trot out there for the Victory formation snaps which would have been insulting. I can't imagine these guys jonesing much for charity snaps.
Had a basketball coach do that too me in HS. Pissed me off then to get 10 seconds in a 40 point blowout. Can’t imagine being a D1 athlete and putting that much time and effor how it feels.

Could you imagine a school like Ohio State, losing a key guy to injury and being able to just go pluck a player from someone else's roster and have him play right away? Just can't see the NCAA ever letting something like that happen, it would be a nightmare.
For all the talk about this... They'd still have to be able to enroll in classes at the school. I suppose that most of the schools they're looking at transferring to have fall semesters that end in a few weeks. So this is actually the perfect time for those players who're going to enroll for spring semester.

I agree the timing seems rather odd. one week left in the season and a week-long trip to a bowl game along with the bowl gifts/swag.

pure speculation on my part, but perhaps "entering the portal" is the new way removing players from the roster for whatever reason (off-field incident, grades, etc). In the old days it was simply referred to as "kicked off the team"
Right. A "golden parachute", both for them and the program, if there was for example a violation of team rules that wouldn't rise to a criminal complaint or an EOAA charge.

Then the team doesn't have to admit anything, can simply say the players up and decided to leave right in the middle of things, and the players can just say they up and decided to leave right in the middle of things. Nothing to see here!

I think a lot of the timing of this has to do with the early signing period. You play during the year and get an idea of where you fit on the depth chart. If you’re not happy with where you sit you decide to move on. Your fear is, that with the early signing only 2-3 weeks away, you need to let schools know that you’re available before signing day and a lot of the spots are gone. Gives coaches a few weeks to make a decision on you or somebody else they might of been considering. Once the early signing period is over there will be considerably less opportunities out there.

They do not. It's one free transfer during your period of eligibility, after that you need to sit a year or get a waiver.
Are you able to show this? I'm not doubting you, I'd like to verify. I say this because a NLI is a contract and once graduated, that contract is complete as the player/school completed their obligations. This is why a graduate could transfer without sitting out a year.

It makes you wonder how much recruiting is going on with players currently on a roster. You would think as a player you are taking a huge chance of not landing with a P5 team especially if you had limited playing time. Maybe they don't care if they are with a P5 team and just want playimg time.

Top Bottom