Check out NW unis

I'm probably the only person who likes the look of these.

I'm probably the only person who likes the look of these.

No, I do as well, but then again, i'm not a classless waste of human life like apparently a lot of Gopher fans on Gopherhole.

whats with the blood spatter though? I fear it could trigger some PTSD

Gopher028 said:
No, I do as well, but then again, i'm not a classless waste of human life like apparently a lot of Gopher fans on Gopherhole.

Wow, someone had a rough night? You're obviously a little touchy on the subject of vets and flags, so pretend Northwestern made the exact same jersey but in pink for breast cancer. The complaints would be the same, its overdone and leaves nothing recognizable as the Northwestern jersey.

Can we have a classless, waste of human life awareness game?

Incredibly distasteful especially with the blood spatter.

America somehow managed to survive for over 200 years without the flag being used as a clown suit.

Incredibly distasteful especially with the blood spatter.

One problem with it is the worn-out design, making it look like a flag that should have been properly disposed of long ago. Some people seem to have gotten the impression that you're supposed to fly flags until they are literally falling apart. Whatever happened to tasteful, respectful commemoration? What we are getting more and more is a circus.

It is important to consider the target audience for these rapidly escalating "special" uniform choices. We've all ripped on goofy developments like this, the Maryland uniforms, pink helmets, etc. etc. etc. But, most of us here are well into adulthood. I got two texts from my 15 year old football playing son yesterday: pics of the Gopher helmets for Saturday and the Northwestern uniforms highlighted in this thread. I gave him my response of how I thought it wasn't a great idea and the Northwestern uniforms looked dumb. He disagreed strongly and actually asked where they would be auctioned off as it would be absolutely "sick" to own one of them. He plays HS football but won't be getting any NCAA scholarship offers any time soon. However, he thinks along the same lines of those that will. There will be a lot more of this long before it ever goes away.

Uncle Sam is a symbolic personification of the United States. We did use images of Uncle Sam (as well as earlier images of Columbia, a female symbolic personification of the United States) but people didn't run around dressed in the flag, unless they were in an Uncle Sam costume. An Uncle Sam costume might be appropriate for a 4th of July parade, but not for a Memorial Day or Veteran's Day commemoration.

If this is all about a marketing campaign rather than serious commemoration, that somehow doesn't seem to make it better. I'll be at the Gophers game, glad the U isn't going as over the top as Northwestern is.

It is important to consider the target audience for these rapidly escalating "special" uniform choices. We've all ripped on goofy developments like this, the Maryland uniforms, pink helmets, etc. etc. etc. But, most of us here are well into adulthood. I got two texts from my 15 year old football playing son yesterday: pics of the Gopher helmets for Saturday and the Northwestern uniforms highlighted in this thread. I gave him my response of how I thought it wasn't a great idea and the Northwestern uniforms looked dumb. He disagreed strongly and actually asked where they would be auctioned off as it would be absolutely "sick" to own one of them. He plays HS football but won't be getting any NCAA scholarship offers any time soon. However, he thinks along the same lines of those that will. There will be a lot more of this long before it ever goes away.

Used to be that teenagers learned to be adults. Now adults are expected to learn to be teenagers.:cool02:

Well, you just hit on the key issue here, the target audience. If those in the military, the Wounded Warriors in particular, are OK with this then the matter should be settled. The rest of the do-gooders out there find something else to protest.

Top Bottom