Check me if I'm wrong...

EE_Gopher

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong...

but I think the last game the Gophers didn't have a sack was the Nebraska game last year. The next nine games, they've had atleast two sacks?

but I think the last game the Gophers didn't have a sack was the Nebraska game last year. The next nine games, they've had atleast two sacks?

You are correct:

vs Iowa: 3 sacks
@ MSU: 2 sacks
vs Wisconsin: 2 sacks
@ Northwestern: 2 sacks
vs Illinois: 5 sacks
--------
@ UNLV: 2 sacks
vs UNH: 4 sacks
vs WMU: 2 sacks
vs Syracuse: 3 sacks

25 sacks over the past 9 games (or an average of 2.78 per game). That average would've put us 15th in the country last season.

Interesting. I wonder if this has to do with better athletes at DE or the philosophical change re:pass rush. IMO it is probably more the new pass rush first stop run second strategy. We'll have to see how teams adapt. My guess is we'll see more draws and HB/TE screens. Another interesting byproduct of our DE's getting up field in a hurry is we might see less bubble/Flanker screens.

Nice to see us getting to the QB on a somewhat regular basis. Amazing how much a solid pass rush can help a defense when the QB can't just sit back in the pocket and pick you apart. Far better to have them running for their life making mistakes.

Sure felt like we had more than 3 sacks against 'Cuse. Probably all the scrambles and pressures.

Its also terrific to see how much better a secondary can perform when they get some help up front and force more errant throws. Very pleased with the play of the d-backfield, particularly Carter, Vereen and Wells.

More than sacks though, I'd be interested to see when the last time the Gophs created 4 turnovers in a game.

A key part of our pass rush has been the emergence of Hageman.

Even when he does not get sacks, he collapses the pocket in a way that it makes it really difficult for QB's to avoid the pressure from the outside. They simply can't just step up in the pocket and avoid our DEs. HAgeman has been causing fits, when you watch him in the middle, it looks like the tazmanian devil in there with the other team being forced to bring help and he's getting a push on nearly every play.

Wells has been fantastic, but Hageman is right there with him in terms of being our defensive MVP.

Another big thing. . .we've been covering receivers much better lately as well. That helps with the pass rush.

Sure felt like we had more than 3 sacks against 'Cuse. Probably all the scrambles and pressures.

Its also terrific to see how much better a secondary can perform when they get some help up front and force more errant throws. Very pleased with the play of the d-backfield, particularly Carter, Vereen and Wells.

More than sacks though, I'd be interested to see when the last time the Gophs created 4 turnovers in a game.
Vereen's hit that created Hill's interception could have been a sack, and Hageman's forced fumble could have been a sack, the two forced turnovers is why it seems like we got more sacks. There were also a couple of time Nassib barely got positive yards, they were good defensive stops, just not sacks.

Top Bottom