ChatGPT for the Gophers

I’ve always wanted to try, so here is my first ever haiku, and I was able to throw in a couple homonyms:

HYPER Coach and Team
Autumn Brings Many Big Wins
Row the Boat Fans Beam

To clarify, ChatGPT is an AI chatbot that allows you to give it prompts and it will write/say things. It's been all over the news in the past couple weeks. It's remarkably advanced at answering some types of questions. It can write essays and other types of long and short form content.

I asked it for a 2022 Minnesota Golden Gophers season recap essay and it was a big whiff. Basically a fancy error message.

I asked it for a few PJ Fleck haikus and they were surprisingly good, though running the prompt more than 2-3 times started to show repetitive patterns.

Here's what I got when I asked ChatGPT to "Write an essay about the history of Gopher football." Nothing terribly insightful, but clean and coherent and mostly accurate. Also a lot more positive than a lot of takes on GH! :)

ChatGPT:

The history of Gopher football dates back to the late 1800s, when the University of Minnesota first formed a football team. In 1882, the team played its first game against Hamline University, becoming the first college football team in the state of Minnesota.

In the early days of Gopher football, the team was known for its strong defense and hard-nosed playing style. This reputation helped the team to become one of the top programs in the country, and they quickly established rivalries with other top teams in the Midwest.

One of the most notable coaches in Gopher football history is Henry L. Williams, who led the team from 1900 to 1921. Under Williams' guidance, the Gophers won four national championships and became one of the dominant teams in college football. Williams was known for his innovative strategies and emphasis on conditioning, which helped his teams to outlast their opponents on the field.

In the decades that followed, the Gophers continued to be a successful program, winning multiple conference championships and making regular appearances in bowl games. In the 1960s and 70s, the team was led by legendary coach Murray Warmath, who guided the Gophers to two Rose Bowl victories and helped to solidify the team's reputation as one of the top programs in the country.

Today, Gopher football continues to be a popular and successful program. The team plays its home games at TCF Bank Stadium, which is known for its passionate fans and electric atmosphere. While the team has experienced its share of ups and downs over the years, the rich history of Gopher football remains an important part of the University of Minnesota's storied athletic tradition.

To clarify, ChatGPT is an AI chatbot that allows you to give it prompts and it will write/say things. It's been all over the news in the past couple weeks. It's remarkably advanced at answering some types of questions. It can write essays and other types of long and short form content.

I asked it for a 2022 Minnesota Golden Gophers season recap essay and it was a big whiff. Basically a fancy error message.

I asked it for a few PJ Fleck haikus and they were surprisingly good, though running the prompt more than 2-3 times started to show repetitive patterns.
Man, I had know idea that’s what your post was about!

"Write an argument in favor of divisions in the Big Ten Conference in the voice of PJ Fleck"

ChatGPT:

"As the head coach of the University of Minnesota football team, I have seen firsthand the challenges and opportunities that come with competing in the Big Ten conference. In my opinion, the creation of divisions within the conference would be a positive step forward for college football.

Currently, the Big Ten is composed of 14 teams, which makes it one of the largest conferences in college football. This can make scheduling difficult, and it can also create imbalances in the conference standings. For example, a team in one part of the conference may have a much tougher schedule than a team in another part of the conference, which can affect their chances of making it to the conference championship game.

By dividing the conference into two or more divisions, we can address these challenges and create a more balanced and competitive conference. Teams would be placed into divisions based on geography or other factors, and they would play a round-robin schedule within their division. This would create more balanced schedules and give teams a better chance to compete for a division championship.

Furthermore, divisions would create more exciting and meaningful games throughout the season. Rivalries within divisions would be renewed and intensified, and the race for the division championship would provide added drama and excitement. This would benefit not only the teams and coaches, but also the fans, who would have more opportunities to see meaningful games and cheer on their favorite teams.

In short, the creation of divisions within the Big Ten would be a positive step forward for college football. It would address scheduling challenges, create more balanced and competitive conference standings, and provide more exciting and meaningful games for teams, coaches, and fans alike. I believe that divisions would be a welcome addition to the Big Ten, and I would support their implementation."

"Write an argument in favor of divisions in the Big Ten Conference in the voice of PJ Fleck"

ChatGPT:

"As the head coach of the University of Minnesota football team, I have seen firsthand the challenges and opportunities that come with competing in the Big Ten conference. In my opinion, the creation of divisions within the conference would be a positive step forward for college football.

Currently, the Big Ten is composed of 14 teams, which makes it one of the largest conferences in college football. This can make scheduling difficult, and it can also create imbalances in the conference standings. For example, a team in one part of the conference may have a much tougher schedule than a team in another part of the conference, which can affect their chances of making it to the conference championship game.

By dividing the conference into two or more divisions, we can address these challenges and create a more balanced and competitive conference. Teams would be placed into divisions based on geography or other factors, and they would play a round-robin schedule within their division. This would create more balanced schedules and give teams a better chance to compete for a division championship.

Furthermore, divisions would create more exciting and meaningful games throughout the season. Rivalries within divisions would be renewed and intensified, and the race for the division championship would provide added drama and excitement. This would benefit not only the teams and coaches, but also the fans, who would have more opportunities to see meaningful games and cheer on their favorite teams.

In short, the creation of divisions within the Big Ten would be a positive step forward for college football. It would address scheduling challenges, create more balanced and competitive conference standings, and provide more exciting and meaningful games for teams, coaches, and fans alike. I believe that divisions would be a welcome addition to the Big Ten, and I would support their implementation."
It forgot to end with "ski-u-mah, row the boat, go Gophers!"

Top Bottom