Charles Hallman: Gopher recruiting failures lead to chronic weakness

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Hallman:

It’s been a couple of weeks since the U of M faithful and others have put Gopher Men’s Coach Richard Pitino on notice, calling for his job. One local PWM (primarily White media) three Sundays ago, and again this past Sunday, listed almost a dozen names to succeed Pitino, who was hired in 2013.

“I don’t block out the noise, but I understand it,” Pitino told me a couple of weeks ago. “I really don’t get offended by [such talk]. I try not to take it personal.”

WCCO’s Henry Lake’s nightly show of late has been a call-in for Gopher fans to vent their frustration with Gopher men’s hoops, which is in sad shape. Many saw the 2019-20 squad as an NCAA team.

“No disrespect to this year’s version…, but I didn’t see it from the start of the season…of them being an NCAA tournament-bound team,” Lake told us. “I say that as a media member and Gopher fan.”

Since starting this beat in the 1980s, we have seen Minnesota win two NIT titles, a Big Ten championship, and a Final Four trip, all under Clem Haskins. In the 21 post-Haskins years and four coaches later, we’ve seen only six NCAA appearances and a 2014 NIT championship. The long and short is that Minnesota has been at best an occasional contender, even during the Haskins years.

The Gophers have virtually been leap year contenders but never a national power. Other than to the Gopher following that blindly sees them otherwise, they simply aren’t relevant in today’s college basketball world. They haven’t been relevant since Haskins, whose teams during his tenure acquired a tough, blue-collar identity the Gophers haven’t had since.

Another sad fact is that the program should be consistently contending for conference and national titles since Minnesota is the only Big Ten school with no other Division I program to compete and recruit against. The historical inability to recruit local and outstate players may be largely related to a conscious or unconscious arrogance stemming from the Gophers being the only hoops game in town, and so anyone born and raised in this state is duty-bound to play for the Maroon and Gold.

A basketball program is doomed to failure if it can’t regularly attract most of its in-state players and has a harder time getting blue-chip prospects to sign. “He [Pitino] misfired on guys,” Lake said.

But simply calling for a coaching change is a bandage fix. Instead, a new recruiting philosophy is needed. Minnesota’s current narrowly focused approach, looking elsewhere first before coming back to local players as a fallback, is a policy that hasn’t worked thus far.

Go Gophers!!

per Hallman:

It’s been a couple of weeks since the U of M faithful and others have put Gopher Men’s Coach Richard Pitino on notice, calling for his job. One local PWM (primarily White media) three Sundays ago, and again this past Sunday, listed almost a dozen names to succeed Pitino, who was hired in 2013.

“I don’t block out the noise, but I understand it,” Pitino told me a couple of weeks ago. “I really don’t get offended by [such talk]. I try not to take it personal.”

WCCO’s Henry Lake’s nightly show of late has been a call-in for Gopher fans to vent their frustration with Gopher men’s hoops, which is in sad shape. Many saw the 2019-20 squad as an NCAA team.

“No disrespect to this year’s version…, but I didn’t see it from the start of the season…of them being an NCAA tournament-bound team,” Lake told us. “I say that as a media member and Gopher fan.”

Since starting this beat in the 1980s, we have seen Minnesota win two NIT titles, a Big Ten championship, and a Final Four trip, all under Clem Haskins. In the 21 post-Haskins years and four coaches later, we’ve seen only six NCAA appearances and a 2014 NIT championship. The long and short is that Minnesota has been at best an occasional contender, even during the Haskins years.

The Gophers have virtually been leap year contenders but never a national power. Other than to the Gopher following that blindly sees them otherwise, they simply aren’t relevant in today’s college basketball world. They haven’t been relevant since Haskins, whose teams during his tenure acquired a tough, blue-collar identity the Gophers haven’t had since.

Another sad fact is that the program should be consistently contending for conference and national titles since Minnesota is the only Big Ten school with no other Division I program to compete and recruit against. The historical inability to recruit local and outstate players may be largely related to a conscious or unconscious arrogance stemming from the Gophers being the only hoops game in town, and so anyone born and raised in this state is duty-bound to play for the Maroon and Gold.

A basketball program is doomed to failure if it can’t regularly attract most of its in-state players and has a harder time getting blue-chip prospects to sign. “He [Pitino] misfired on guys,” Lake said.

But simply calling for a coaching change is a bandage fix. Instead, a new recruiting philosophy is needed. Minnesota’s current narrowly focused approach, looking elsewhere first before coming back to local players as a fallback, is a policy that hasn’t worked thus far.

Go Gophers!!

You know, Hallman is right, we should go after some local guys.

not one publication ...had the gophs a ncaa tourney team. most noisy fans do not know squat about basketball and evaluating a team relative to other teams in the Big Ten

The apathetic Minnesota fan base doesn't deserve a winner. Supporting your team only when convenient does not cut it. IU has been just as pedestrian as us and they sell out.

The apathetic Minnesota fan base doesn't deserve a winner. Supporting your team only when convenient does not cut it. IU has been just as pedestrian as us and they sell out.

If our program has been as good as Indiana's the last 10 years (their down years), Pitino would have a job for life.

2 - Big 10 Championships
3 - Sweet Sixteen Appearances
Big 10 Record: (96-106 (.475)
5 (including this year) - NCAA Tournament caliber teams

Last edited:

with the in-state recruiting, it's really a catch-22.

Top in-state recruits don't go to MN because they want to go to a school that is prominent nationally and showcases them for the NBA.

and MN can't become prominent nationally without landing some of the top in-state recruits.

Sure - no requirement that MN has to recruit MN players. In theory, MN could go out and recruit a bunch of 4* and 5* players and win a national title - or at least make a Final 4 run. But the optics are lousy when you have MN kids snubbing the home-state program.

If our program has been as good as Indiana's the last 10 years (their down years), Pitino would have a job for life.

2 - Big 10 Championships
3 - Sweet Sixteen Appearances
Big 10 Record: (96-106 (.475)
5 (including this year) - NCAA Tournament caliber teams
Comparing the history of IU basketball to ours is laughable.

Exactly....Indiana has always been basketball crazy.....high school on up....Just starting in the 70s with Knight and going through all the great teams. The two fan bases have had much different experiences.

not one publication ...had the gophs a ncaa tourney team. most noisy fans do not know squat about basketball and evaluating a team relative to other teams in the Big Ten
No one predicted us as an NCAA team and we delivered on those low expectations. Yeah?

No one predicted us as an NCAA team and we delivered on those low expectations. Yeah?

Yes, the implication of his statement seemed to be lost on him. Yes, we did not underperform expectations but the fact that the expectations were so low was part of the problem.

with the in-state recruiting, it's really a catch-22.

Top in-state recruits don't go to MN because they want to go to a school that is prominent nationally and showcases them for the NBA.

and MN can't become prominent nationally without landing some of the top in-state recruits.

Sure - no requirement that MN has to recruit MN players. In theory, MN could go out and recruit a bunch of 4* and 5* players and win a national title - or at least make a Final 4 run. But the optics are lousy when you have MN kids snubbing the home-state program.
A good program builder breaks this cycle. In the meantime, some fans will use this as a crutch.

This is really a weird comment that you keep posting.

I know you think WI is a white school. I know, we should ignore Jordan Taylor and Kamron Taylor to fit this narrative, but this is such a weird thing that you obsess about.
Maple Grove, Lakeville North, East Ridge

Yeah, everyone knew that we would be bad this year. But we somehow even underperformed on being bad. We were horrible.

If you look at our preseason threads, the big argument was whether or not we'd finish 10th or better. We finished 12th. So even with those low expectations, we failed.

Now, a reasonable person might also factor in the fact that we still have such putrid expectations in year 7. But that's just another argument.

They were not recruited because they are white and they did not go to UW because it your so called white school. They went to win, they were recruited to win. As a minority a despise references to color when it comes to school choices for these young men.

Yeah, it's really gross and really stupid. Spaulding is also obsessed with talking about. This is not an off-the-cuff comment, this is something he shoehorns into every topic on the basketball board. It's odd and shows you how he sees the world.

You shou
Yeah, it's really gross and really stupid. Spaulding is also obsessed with talking about. This is not an off-the-cuff comment, this is something he shoehorns into every topic on the basketball board. It's odd and shows you how he sees the world.
ld read a few reports regarding racism in the recruiting world and then get back to me. It’s terrible.

per Hallman:

Go Gophers!!
Amen!

Suggs did not go the usual route of MN high school basket ball stars who choose to leave and go to WI or Duke but chose Gonzaga.
Granted Gonzaga wins but they play in an indifferent conference, are rarely on national tv and the city itself is isolated.
It is pretty sad Pitino and MN were passed over by Gonzaga.

Suggs did not go the usual route of MN high school basket ball stars who choose to leave and go to WI or Duke but chose Gonzaga.
Granted Gonzaga wins but they play in an indifferent conference, are rarely on national tv and the city itself is isolated.
Gonzaga has passed us over for 20 years. This is not a Pitino phenomenon. Sporting News rates Gonzaga the number 9 program in the country over the past 10 years.

Gonzaga played 15 games this year on ESPN or ESPN2.

We played 3 games on ESPN2 and 1 on FOX.

How often does Gonzaga recruit MN players? Genuine question

Top Bottom