Charles Buggs - UPDATED WITH BUGGS COMMITING TO GOPHERS! Post #58

Nor am I trying to sound like an a-hole in my response.

Does the first half of this highlight do nothing for you at all? He's athletic, and appears to have a pretty damn good stroke from the outside, let alone the kid can jump out of the gym, I believe that is a state record he sets in the high jump in the second video at 6'10. I think he will handle just fine in a Minnesota uniform. Fact of the matter is, we need to improve as a program and consistently be ranked in the top 25, making the tournament every year to be getting the true IMPACT PLAYERS we are all hoping for. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN89DsICbLU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgDwo_3OaSg

I hear what you're saying, but it's a highlight video, not a complete compilation of his basketball prowess. Highlight videos are what they are. Everyone looks good in them.

MadtownGopher;447967[B said:
]Neutral, every time I read one of your posts I question if you are actually a Gopher fan[/B]. You constantly bitch and complain about how we don't get enough good recruits and even when we do get a top 50 player like Andre Hollins you complain about him being too small (even though he's big for a freshman) and say you aren't impressed. Either you are the most pessimistic person on this board or you are a troll.

Haha well apparently you haven't read all my posts then.

Nor am I trying to sound like an a-hole in my response.

Does the first half of this highlight do nothing for you at all? He's athletic, and appears to have a pretty damn good stroke from the outside, let alone the kid can jump out of the gym, I believe that is a state record he sets in the high jump in the second video at 6'10. I think he will handle just fine in a Minnesota uniform. Fact of the matter is, we need to improve as a program and consistently be ranked in the top 25, making the tournament every year to be getting the true IMPACT PLAYERS we are all hoping for. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN89DsICbLU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgDwo_3OaSg

We already have a player that can jump out of the gym, and that hasn't done much for us. Right now I'd rather have a scorer, someone with a really good stroke from the outside, not just an athlete with tons of potential and a great wing-span.

We already have a player that can jump out of the gym, and that hasn't done much for us. Right now I'd rather have a scorer, someone with a really good stroke from the outside, not just an athlete with tons of potential and a great wing-span.

nm ... talking about the wrong player!

In a perfect world, obviously it would be nice to have someone better than Wally, but it is what it it, he's coming here whether you like it or not. Is it impossible to look at this situation with a glass half full mentality?

Wally will be just fine. His game it totally different then the player I think you're reffering to. Wally is comparable to Vincent Greer. I think he turned out ok.

This same player was also a 4-star recruit, the type of recruit that people think we should be going after.

HTML:

Basketball is still a team sport, you don't need five 5* players that can do it all to be successfull. You also can't have five athletic players that have a hard time scoring. Depending on the mix Wally may be the perfect player.

My concern with this years team is that in the past Williams and Austin Hollins have had a hard time scoring from any distance from the basket. Throw in Mbwake and you might really be challenged getting points on the perimeter. Hopefully one of those players will develop a mid range game which would open it up for eveyone.

Wally is something like a zero star recruit

WTF?? Where? By whom? I'd love to see even one reputable recruiting site that has him labeled as a "zero star recruit". I'll be waiting for you to provide this evidence.

tabbed as a role player down the road

Again, by whom? By you? Sorry if no one buys your expert basketball analysis. I'm pretty certain that most guys with a dozen or more Division I offers (including at least 5 BCS offers) aren't considered by anyone to be "role players". If Ellenson stays here all 4 years and isn't at least a 6th man by his Sr. year, I'll eat my hat.

This post comes off like I'm an a-hole, but I'm not.

This is something that an a-hole would say. Sort of like prefacing saying something really mean with "no offense intended".

WTF?? Where? By whom? I'd love to see even one reputable recruiting site that has him labeled as a "zero star recruit". I'll be waiting for you to provide this evidence.

Again, by whom? By you? Sorry if no one buys your expert basketball analysis. I'm pretty certain that most guys with a dozen or more Division I offers (including at least 5 BCS offers) aren't considered by anyone to be "role players". If Ellenson stays here all 4 years and isn't at least a 6th man by his Sr. year, I'll eat my hat.

This is something that an a-hole would say. Sort of like prefacing saying something really mean with "no offense intended".

Rather outstanding response across the board there!

I watched Wally play mutlitple times this summer and he was the best player on the court every time. He is athletic, plays very hard, can drive to the hoop, can shoot, finishes on the break extremely well, is an aggressive defender, and is a very willing passer. I think he will be a strong contributor to the Gopher basketball program during his career. The zero star recruit comment is beyond laughable.

I watched Wally play mutlitple times this summer and he was the best player on the court every time. He is athletic, plays very hard, can drive to the hoop, can shoot, finishes on the break extremely well, is an aggressive defender, and is a very willing passer. I think he will be a strong contributor to the Gopher basketball program during his career. The zero star recruit comment is beyond laughable.

Forgive me for not liking ONE Tubby recruit. I too have seen him play multiple times and I don't think he's an impact player at the DI level. That's just my opinion. The zero star thing was dumb for sure, but in my defense, it did take awhile for a lot of scouting services to evaluate him, thus giving him zero stars. Not every guy Tubby brings in is impactful!! No one will disagree with that. Personally, I think this is a poor pick up for a team that needs impact players the next two seasons.

The other positive thing about Wally is that we can sell his younger brother, Henry, on playing with his brother.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/143158/henry-ellenson

Even Neurtal has to admit that is a positive. Henry is a top 100 player for the 2015 class as of right now (I know it's super early, but still positive).

With all due respect, can we please not talk about recruting one player so that we can get his younger, higher ranked, brother. Been there, done that, hated it.

Thanks

With all due respect, can we please not talk about recruting one player so that we can get his younger, higher ranked, brother. Been there, done that, hated it.

Thanks

Well I never said we recruited him just for his younger bro. I like Wally quite a bit and think he'll be a good fit for us. I was just pointing out that it's an added bonus that his younger bro is pretty good.

Not sure if Arkansas has room for Buggs anymore, per this news:

"JaCorey Williams, our No.79 rated senior, is a 6-8 190-pound athlete who flat out blew up at the national AAU's. He can face and attack the rim off the dribble and sets it up with a solid jumper from 17-feet to the arc. He averaged 18 points and 7 rebounds for the Birmingham Storm during the spring and summer. Look for those numbers to grow in high school this season. He has the length and shot blocking ability to be a difference maker on the defensive end to for the Hogs as a freshman.

He chose Arkansas over interest from Alabama, Nebraska, Marshall, Richmond, Texas A&M, UTEP, and Washington State."

Go Gophers!!

Not sure if Arkansas has room for Buggs anymore, per this news:

"JaCorey Williams, our No.79 rated senior, is a 6-8 190-pound athlete who flat out blew up at the national AAU's. He can face and attack the rim off the dribble and sets it up with a solid jumper from 17-feet to the arc. He averaged 18 points and 7 rebounds for the Birmingham Storm during the spring and summer. Look for those numbers to grow in high school this season. He has the length and shot blocking ability to be a difference maker on the defensive end to for the Hogs as a freshman.

He chose Arkansas over interest from Alabama, Nebraska, Marshall, Richmond, Texas A&M, UTEP, and Washington State."

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for the update! One would have to think the Gophers are the clear favorites now for Mr. Buggs. I like to think of him as a poor man's Kevin Durant, with emphasis on poor. I like his game a lot though from the limited reports and highlights I've seen.

It looks like Anthlon Bell committed to Arkansas this week too, making it three 2012 commits for them I believe. I would imagaine they are done for 2012 with only two seniors on the current roster.

It looks like Anthlon Bell committed to Arkansas this week too, making it three 2012 commits for them I believe. I would imagaine they are done for 2012 with only two seniors on the current roster.

They have room for additional scholarship players in 2012-13. Small roster this year and the seniors are 6'8" and 6'9" kids.

Someone like Buggs could come in and get some significant playing time next year. If Williams leaves he could start and if Williams stays that is one position he would still be in a position to play significantly. I don't know what Arkansas needs are but I still hope Minnesota is still at the top. The center position might be a little tougher to crack with Walker and Eliason around for three more years.

greensborosports.com Event: Oak Hill Academy vs. Hargrave Military Academy --link

-- cut and paste from below link
"
Scouting Report: October 27th, 2011
Event: Oak Hill Academy vs. Hargrave Military Academy
Evaluator: Rick Lewis
Phenom Quote of the Day: “He who does not look ahead remains behind.”

Phenom Hoop Report Philosophy: “Balanced, thorough, and detailed evaluations
based upon the 3 P’s philosophy of Performance, Production, and Potential”

We traveled up to Roanoke, Virginia on Tuesday night to watch the pre-season
scrimmage game between Oak Hill and Hargrave Military Academy. The teams
played 2 20 minute halves and an extra period of a 12 minute running clock.
The score at halftime was Oak Hill 49 and Hargrave 44. The second half was
almost a mirror image of the first half in terms of the score as Oak Hill
scored 47 points to Hargrave’s 42. The final score for the 2 20 minute
segments were 96-86 while the extra 12 minute running clock period ended up
in a 16-16 tie.

Below is a look at the performances of players from each team:
Player: 6’8 Charles Buggs
Hometown: Martin, TX
School: Hargrave
Class: Post Graduate
Verbal: Open
Evaluation: Coming in to the game, there was a lot of buzz concerning the
play of Buggs in Hargrave team workouts. He seems to be a relative unknown
coming out of high school and AAU. Buggs is a physical “run jump” athlete
that has good bounce and his sudden rise on the national recruiting scene is
a feel good story. Buggs enjoyed a solid game by posting 7 points and 6
rebounds. While he is gifted athletically, he is still somewhat raw
offensively with his points coming strictly off put backs. Buggs may benefit
from the “supply and demand” of quality 6’8 PF left in the recruiting
circles, but we personally see Buggs as a solid contributor at the MM+
level, but we’re sure some HM schools will monitor his progress over the
season.

http://www.greensborosports.com/201...etball-scrimmage-from-the-phenom-hoop-report/

Someone like Buggs could come in and get some significant playing time next year. If Williams leaves he could start and if Williams stays that is one position he would still be in a position to play significantly. I don't know what Arkansas needs are but I still hope Minnesota is still at the top. The center position might be a little tougher to crack with Walker and Eliason around for three more years.

Is Williams leaving? I thought he was a junior?

Buggs mentioned in a ESPN article about Hargrave Military Academy (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/7063484/hargrave-military-academy-coach-aw-hamilton-providing-second-chance-kids-get-division-i)

Now Hamilton is using his firsthand experience to help recruits, such as Charles Buggs and John Burke, reach their goals of playing Division I ball.

Buggs is a lean, 6-foot-8 power forward from out of Texas with high-major athleticism, leaping ability and upside. If he proves he can run with the big boys once they start keeping score, his story will be complete.

As a senior outside Dallas, Buggs was injured half of the season and wasn't fully invested in the program the other half.

"I think he's here because he got hurt last year and he needed to mature," Hamilton said. "He needs all the off-the-court things that Hargrave provides. He needed to get out of Texas. I'm hard on this kid, but he responds."

Coming out of high school, the best offers Buggs had were redshirt opportunities at low-major programs. Fast forward a few months and West Virginia's Bob Huggins, Minnesota's Tubby Smith, Wake Forest's Jeff Bzdelik and Clemson's Brad Brownell made trips specifically to see him. Arkansas, Charlotte, Seton Hall, Boston College and Dayton also dispatched assistants, many coming more than once in September.

Buggs scored September offers from Marquette and Boston University. "He's great in the skill work. He can shoot it and he can handle it. He's super athletic," Hamilton said. "When we play pick up he's kind of a guy without a position. People are intrigued with his potential and his ability and once we start coaching him, he's going to get better."

It is widely considered he will go pro.

I would bet a decent amount of money that Rodney does not go pro this year. There are too many good players who did not go pro last year due to the lockout that will enter the draft this year. Rodney has a much better chance of being drafted next year.

I would bet a decent amount of money that Rodney does not go pro this year. There are too many good players who did not go pro last year due to the lockout that will enter the draft this year. Rodney has a much better chance of being drafted next year.

If I was a betting man...I'd say that Williams will be with us for four years as well.

DaveTelep Twitter:

"Charles Buggs is going to sign with Minnesota. Cranking out a blog soon."

Gold Vision said:
DaveTelep Twitter:

"Charles Buggs is going to sign with Minnesota. Cranking out a blog soon."

Awesome!

And by the time phill Nolan is ready to commit somewhere, we should have a better idea if we have an extra scholarship! (he is waiting until spring, correct)

Nice get for tubby and the gophers! Welcome aboard Charles!

It's all over the twitter world now. Great get.

Top Bottom