Charging call on Austin

We could here the skin contact from the second deck on the other end of the court. Rodney got mugged. I was loud last night because it was a big game and this was the worst officiated game I have seen this season. That crew was brutal.

As long as we are on refs, this is not their fault, but there needs to be a two shots (and maybe the ball) for fouls from behind on a break away. Jackson tackling Andre after the steal was horrible, but at least it was called. The clutch and grabbers like Wiscy need to get really penalized for that crap. No attempt to play any real defense. I hate that.

So the clear path foul like in the NBA. I completely agree.

So the clear path foul like in the NBA. I completely agree.

I thought that is already a rule in college. If I'm not mistaken it was called earlier this year, gave Dre two shots and the ball, but that situation was an absolute breakaway. The one from last night easily could have been called clear path intentional, but it was still a little more of a scramble

I may be mistaken, but I thought the replays showed Rodney potentially open for an uncontested dunk to Austin's left before the charge. May or may not have been an easy pass. Can't verify since I didn't record the game.

I may be mistaken, but I thought the replays showed Rodney potentially open for an uncontested dunk to Austin's left before the charge. May or may not have been an easy pass. Can't verify since I didn't record the game.

I suppose he could have dumped it off to Rodney but by the time that Bruesewitz slid over and left Rodney open Austin had already committed to the shot.

The play is in these highlights:
[video]http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8950005[/video]

I suppose he could have dumped it off to Rodney but by the time that Bruesewitz slid over and left Rodney open Austin had already committed to the shot.

The play is in these highlights:
[video]http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8950005[/video]

Good thing I used the word "potentially". It would have had to be a heck of a pass. Thanks for the video clip, Pig Man.

That's the first time I've been able to watch it since the game, and I watched it over and over, trying not to be biased. It's really a call that could go either way and often does. Unlike several of the other calls during the game, I can't fault the official for calling that. It was bang bang. After reviewing the Zapruder film multiple times, I do think it was a block. Sideshow was definitely moving into him and initiated the contact. I think Austin might have even been able to avoid significant contact if red hadn't bumped into him.

Thought it was a bad call. If you saw that call on team X vs. Team Y on a neutral court in the NCAA Tourney that late in a game.......Every analyst in the country would agree it was a bad call.

Probably never happen and I can see some rationale for it, but sitting in Williams Arena, I'd like to see a replay. People watching on TV get to see replays from various angles, but on that play from my angle I'm going, "What the hell happened?" Thinking at $33 a ticket, I deserve another look.

Thought it was a travel or play on.

And since they rarely call travelling anywhere near the basket, it definitely is a play on. I am amazed that these guys can "step" so far down the baseline without dribbling or being called for travelling. But boy those tough refs can call a minor slide at mid court that makes no difference in the play either way with a vengance! I am down on refs and inconsistent calls.

Probably never happen and I can see some rationale for it, but sitting in Williams Arena, I'd like to see a replay. People watching on TV get to see replays from various angles, but on that play from my angle I'm going, "What the hell happened?" Thinking at $33 a ticket, I deserve another look.

I'm pretty sure they don't show replays on calls like that because they don't want to have the fans' reaction causing the officials to change their minds.

I'm pretty sure they don't show replays on calls like that because they don't want to have the fans' reaction causing the officials to change their minds.

I hate that the U doesn't show close calls. People can say what they want about the NCAA rules, they get shown at other venues. This gets especially upsetting when there is some kind of review or challenge. When there is a stadium full of people who paid to watch an event, and the only action going on in that even is the officials standing around rewatching a play, it is ridiculous to not give that same replay to the fans.

It's always been my understanding that they don't want to incite a riot.

Top Bottom