Chances of making NCAAs?

What are the odds that all our remaining opponents play zone? If so, we got no chance.

I still keep thinking that they know how to do it, they just don't execute it. Am I wrong? I mean, what kind of team doesn't know basic strategy?

Your recollection is good on this... stress is on 'body of work'. That said, the committee can use just about whatever information they like.

If a team isn't playing the same as they were earlier in the year, that can be taken into consideration.

If Rodney is injured, Gophers have been losing a lot recently, etc.. that can all come into play.

So yes... last x number of games isn't "highlighted" as it used to be, but that doesn't mean it's irrelevant.

Gophers COULD flirt with being the highest RPI-ranked BCS team to not make the tourney. But, that would probably take not only losing the next couple, but also dropping a couple of the final three.

Thanks

Though finishing 8-10 may well get us in, that would mean we lost 10 of our last 15 games. That's not very impressive.

I just don't understand our coaches...everyone knows we can't shoot...why are we not more prepared for a zone? Its like every time somebody breaks out a zone we crap ourselves and curl up in to the fetal position. We run no picks, no rolls, no pops, no high post, no running of the baseline, the ball stays up top for 30 seconds and then we force up a shot or just turn the ball over. If I was Tubby Smith...I would be embarrassed as a Coach.

The really frustrating thing about the zone is that it rarely is a team's primary form of defense. They just throw it in for a few minutes to mix things up. It's not supposed to be as effective as it is against us. You are supposed to get wide open 3 point looks. If you can't hit them that is one thing, but we can't even get a shot off against it.

The other downside of playing a zone is it leaves you open to offensive rebounds, something the Gophers excel at. I don't think we dominated the boards at all though.

I just don't understand our coaches...everyone knows we can't shoot...why are we not more prepared for a zone? Its like every time somebody breaks out a zone we crap ourselves and curl up in to the fetal position. We run no picks, no rolls, no pops, no high post, no running of the baseline, the ball stays up top for 30 seconds and then we force up a shot or just turn the ball over. If I was Tubby Smith...I would be embarrassed as a Coach.

Screens don't usually work well in a zone.

Need to get the ball inside and make quick passes and cut. The offense needs to run from the free throw line and people need to cut and pass and move the zone and find openings.

Seems like just a technical change. Not sure they can eliminate the bias of factoring in recent play.

Your recollection is good on this... stress is on 'body of work'. That said, the committee can use just about whatever information they like.

If a team isn't playing the same as they were earlier in the year, that can be taken into consideration.

If Rodney is injured, Gophers have been losing a lot recently, etc.. that can all come into play.

So yes... last x number of games isn't "highlighted" as it used to be, but that doesn't mean it's irrelevant.

Gophers COULD flirt with being the highest RPI-ranked BCS team to not make the tourney. But, that would probably take not only losing the next couple, but also dropping a couple of the final three.

Nor should they. As long as its only a single factor, the Gophers should be fine. We simply have too many other factors that are very impressive. We could soon have 4 Top 25 wins with both Illinois and Wisconsin winning today, and Wisconsin the lower rated of the two beating a pretty decent OSU team. And with such a large # of Top 100 wins, we just look really, really good up against any of the other bubble teams right now.

Serious question, does it even matter at this point? I'm cheering for them to lose, so we can bring in a coach that can at least have a JR High School plan of how to run an offense against a zone defense. "F" Lubby Smith!

It all comes down to @Nebraska. I don't think we'll win at Purdue. If we finish 7-11, we'll need two wins in the BTT to pull it off. Short of that, we still might have a respectable RPI, but the selection committee are no dopes. They will be able to see us for the team we've been.

This team should win at Purdue. Byrd is their only outside threat. Hammons is a load on the block, but he does not play with a lot of fire on the defensive end.

Bubble is too weak for the Gophers to miss the NCAA's unless they completely collapse which I wouldn't put past this team. I see the Big Ten with 8 bids.

Right now Iowa has an rpi of 92. They have a lot of work still to do to get in. A win at Indiana or getting 2 wins against 3 of the top 4 in B1G tourney would help them.

Right now Iowa has an rpi of 92. They have a lot of work still to do to get in. A win at Indiana or getting 2 wins against 3 of the top 4 in B1G tourney would help them.

Sagarin has Iowa at 33, and I know the selection committee looks at that index, too. Iowa is better and is in better shape than most people give them credit for.

The NCAA Selection Committee does look at the RPI, and they say publicly that it is one of the more important factors when determining which bubble teams get in or get left out. BUT, many have also publicly expressed negative opinions about the RPI. I think that secretly they value rating systems like the Sagarin and Ken-Pom ratings more and Iowa is Top 35 and Top 30 in those two rating systems.

Iowa also is well within reach of finishing the conf with a 9-9 record. That alone could get a team in THIS year.

RPI is a factor, maybe an important one, but only one of MANY factors. I believe Iowa's going to get in.

Oh, and btw, they moved up from #93 to #80 just by beating us.

If they can get it up into the lower 60s, I think the NCAA committee will get them in.

Top Bottom