Chances of Bob Stein becoming next AD???

station19

Reaction score
What's your thought on the chances of Bob Stein becoming next AD? Also: Good choice or bad choice?

I'd say the chances are low, but I have no opinion on whether or not he'd be good in the role. As a previous poster pointed out, he didn't do that well in the T-Wolves' front office.

I have no idea if he's interested but I think he'd be a very good one. I've even heard Kevin McHale's name bantered around but I don't think there are any serious discussions at this point, just rumors.

Steni and McHale

With Stein the football budget would double. With McHale the basketball budget would double and Borton would be on a slow skiff to the Azores. Seriously, I think both would do a good job. I find it hard to contribute to the U knowing Maturi is an ex Becky. I remember when Giel was named AD. The following year contributions to Gopher sports went up two fold. Always good to have a former "M" man at the helm.

How good is Stein with people? I don't know him, haven't met him. I do know that he sits on the state boxing commission, and I'm sure he'd have to give that up, but I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem for him.

My god, is this a serious thread? Really? Stein was an abject failure, who only got the TWolves job because his father in law was the owner.

The Wolves were ranked as the 2nd worst sports franchise OF ALL TIME under his watch. Seriously.

And McHale? Nice fella, not really known for his work ethic.

Let's get serious here and hire a REAL A.D., please.

I would take Dungy over both of them. However, any of the three would need great assistants.

With Stein the football budget would double. With McHale the basketball budget would double and Borton would be on a slow skiff to the Azores. Seriously, I think both would do a good job. I find it hard to contribute to the U knowing Maturi is an ex Becky. I remember when Giel was named AD. The following year contributions to Gopher sports went up two fold. Always good to have a former "M" man at the helm.

Paul Giel didn't exactly usher in a golden era of Gopher football. Hiring one of us would be great but I'll look for effective leadership as a more important qualification.

Paul Giel didn't exactly usher in a golden era of Gopher football. Hiring one of us would be great but I'll look for effective leadership as a more important qualification.

It did seem Paul Giel gave us freshness and excitement from previous AD Marsh Ryman. While the results were less than hoped for in Gopher football, Cal Stoll was an M Man and a good coach. Cal just could not get us over the hump of beating Ohio State and Michigan. That era being knows as "The Big Two and the Little Eight." Paul brought excitement back to Gopher Basketball with the Mussleman hire...again this turned out sour but it eventually led us to a great coach in Jim Dutcher. I also think he hired Herb Brooks as our Hockey Coach.
I think Paul was know more as a PR guy than a business man...All in all I think Paul was a good AD.

Bob Stein is a moron. He is a jock with nothing to recommend him other than his success on the football field before most GopherHolers were born. What has he done with his life since then to convince anyone with an IQ over 99 that he is qualified, or has the personality, to run a Big 10 Athletics Department?

Stein could not have done a worse job running the Wolves. They did absolutely nothing when he was in charge. They were a complete disaster until McHale took over. I don't think the Wolves made the playoffs even one time under Stein. Can anyone remember one draft pick or trade which helped the team? He never would have gotten that job in the first place if he wasn't married to the bosses' daughter.

All Stein seems to have done recently is shoot off his big mouth in public and piss off Gopher fans everywhere. How can anyone fan forget how Stein made a total ass out of himself during the recent football coaching search? With Gopher fans and supporters like him we don't need Badger and Hawkeye Trolls to irritate the hell out of us just by their mere presence. Bob Stein has disqualified himself from ever being considered for the Gopher AD job.

Save Gopher Football

Bob Stein was a creator and leader of Save Gopher Football, the group whose primary mission was to trash our coaching search and make sure no coach would want to come here so that they could get Maturi fired.

what about this guy?

Just to throw a name out there. And this isn't a rumor, just my opinion. I wouldn't mind seeing Ron Minegar, Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer of the Arizona Cardinals, become the next AD. Minegar grew up in La Crescent, MN and received his Masters at the Carlson School of Management. He also served as the Director of Corporate Sales for the Timberwolves in 1991-95, He was the team president of the CBA team in La Crosse WI, hiring Flip Saunders. That team won two CBA titles.

Here's his bio: http://www.azcardinals.com/team/staff/ron-minegar/fd083a93-3b01-43eb-88c0-65aa0e159a92

Just to throw a name out there. And this isn't a rumor, just my opinion. I wouldn't mind seeing Ron Minegar, Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer of the Arizona Cardinals, become the next AD. Minegar grew up in La Crescent, MN and received his Masters at the Carlson School of Management. He also served as the Director of Corporate Sales for the Timberwolves in 1991-95, He was the team president of the CBA team in La Crosse WI, hiring Flip Saunders. That team won two CBA titles.

Here's his bio: http://www.azcardinals.com/team/staff/ron-minegar/fd083a93-3b01-43eb-88c0-65aa0e159a92

I would hope he is a candidate if the job opens.

Bob Stein has no desire to be AD. Go4 and MS you have no clue what you are talking about.

Things are getting so bad around here I have to admit any name besides Maturi gets my vote, Krusty the Clown, W.C. Fields, Foster Brooks, Senor Wences, all of these would be a step up.

Bob Stein is a moron. He is a jock with nothing to recommend him other than his success on the football field before most GopherHolers were born. What has he done with his life since then to convince anyone with an IQ over 99 that he is qualified, or has the personality, to run a Big 10 Athletics Department?

Stein could not have done a worse job running the Wolves. They did absolutely nothing when he was in charge. They were a complete disaster until McHale took over. I don't think the Wolves made the playoffs even one time under Stein. Can anyone remember one draft pick or trade which helped the team? He never would have gotten that job in the first place if he wasn't married to the bosses' daughter.

All Stein seems to have done recently is shoot off his big mouth in public and piss off Gopher fans everywhere. How can anyone fan forget how Stein made a total ass out of himself during the recent football coaching search? With Gopher fans and supporters like him we don't need Badger and Hawkeye Trolls to irritate the hell out of us just by their mere presence. Bob Stein has disqualified himself from ever being considered for the Gopher AD job.

I have no idea whether or not Bob Stein has interest in the AD position, but it is clear that many of you have no idea what you are talking about! I've had the chance to meet and speak with Bob at a few fundraisers and he is a great guy who seems very bright. He also seems to have the support of many within the alumni and business community. This actually may be the reason he would be a great candidate: fundraising. Bob has maintained great relationships around the community since his NBA days and has some very high powered friends who would contribute big bucks to the program.

Also, I think it is unfair and unwise to compare his tenure as wolves President to the AD position. The majority of his responsibility as wolves boss was to fundraise to get the target center built and get a start-up franchise up and running, which he accomplished. It is not as if the wolves have been compiling championships since his departure, either.

I would love to see Bob Stein as AD, but would support anyone other than JM.

Though I don't think he'd take the job, the guy I'd like to give a shot to is Twins President Dave St. Peter. In any case, Bob Stein is about the last person I want to see.

I have no idea whether or not Bob Stein has interest in the AD position, but it is clear that many of you have no idea what you are talking about! I've had the chance to meet and speak with Bob at a few fundraisers and he is a great guy who seems very bright. He also seems to have the support of many within the alumni and business community. This actually may be the reason he would be a great candidate: fundraising. Bob has maintained great relationships around the community since his NBA days and has some very high powered friends who would contribute big bucks to the program.

Also, I think it is unfair and unwise to compare his tenure as wolves President to the AD position. The majority of his responsibility as wolves boss was to fundraise to get the target center built and get a start-up franchise up and running, which he accomplished. It is not as if the wolves have been compiling championships since his departure, either.

I would love to see Bob Stein as AD, but would support anyone other than JM.

We'll agree to disagree. I was around him extensively at Target Center for 3 years, starting in 1990. I saw none of those strengths you mention. He was in charge of every aspect of the operation of the team, and had final say on all player transactions. It's why Bill Musselman and Billy McKinney hated him so much. Mr. Stein turned a talentless expansion team into an even worse team. That's hard to do.

Stein had a very, very very good staff. That's all I'll say unless he becomes a candidate for the job.

We'll agree to disagree. I was around him extensively at Target Center for 3 years, starting in 1990. I saw none of those strengths you mention. He was in charge of every aspect of the operation of the team, and had final say on all player transactions. It's why Bill Musselman and Billy McKinney hated him so much. Mr. Stein turned a talentless expansion team into an even worse team. That's hard to do.

Stein had a very, very very good staff. That's all I'll say unless he becomes a candidate for the job.

Didn't I see somewhere that he insisted on taking Pooh Richardson when Musselman and McKinney wanted Tim Hardaway?

He sucked at the helm of the T-Wolves. Plus the man is 63! Time to look for someone who will be AD here for a while. Someone in his 40s or 50s. Not some guy he is ready to retire soon!

You are correct, sir.

I always heard the Pooh Richardson story a little differently. The story I heard is that Don Nelson and Bill Musselman were talking on the phone before the draft (don't know if it was a week before or a month before) and Nelson supposedly ran down Hardaway after Musselman admitted the Wolves were interested in him.

Before the conversation, Musselman was high on Hardaway, but because he respected Nelson's judgment so much, he began to question whether or not Hardaway was the right guy. Of course, Nelly was just baiting Musselman and ended up drafting Hardaway himself. Don't know if the story is true or not.

I love these Bob Stein threads.

I think Gophs hit the nail on the head. Whether his specific choice was the right guy or not, someone who has been successful with a professional sports franchise would be a great pick. Unfortunately, most of those guys are going to be out of our price point, but if we can make it work it's the best idea. They would understand the business aspect of college athletics more than JM.

Stein would obviously NOT fall into that category. And anyone that age makes no sense. Also, frankly, we don't need a U of MN guy. It's not like we're Michigan with tons of success we're building on. Pick the most qualified guy even if he's from Iowa (yikes, I can't believe I just said that).

Top Bottom