Champs Bowl

SRSKSM

FB Season Ticket Holder
Reaction score
What would it take for the Gophers to be invited to the Champs Bowl? Seems to me if the Gophers beat Iowa and Illinois beats NW then the Gophs have a shot at the Champs Bowl.

Here's what it would take:
The Big Ten would have to have two BCS teams. We'd have to beat Iowa. Illinois would have to beat Northwestern. Cal Poly would have to beat Wisconsin or else the Champs Bowl would have to choose us over Wisconsin. If both us and Wisconsin win Saturday, they'd be 7-5 and we'd be 8-4. However, a bowl can choose a team with one fewer victory (as long as they are better than 6-6).

I have heard, and have had it corroborated by some Wiscy fans, that Wisconsin would prefer to be dropped to the Insight Bowl rather than playing in Champs becuase they've played bowl games in Central Florida the past 4 consecutive years.

Having said all that, I still think we wind up in Pheonix.

Personally, I'm not too worried about which bowl we end up with.

My only focus right now is on trying to beat Iowa. After that, let the bowl chips fall where they may.

I'm too lazy to look it up but who is the other confernce in the Champs Bowl?

At this point I am hoping to get Nebraska in the Insight Bowl. I'm being a little selfish here but my best friend from HS is a GA at Nebraska so it would be nice to have him break down Minnesota when we hang out this summer.

Here's what it would take:
The Big Ten would have to have two BCS teams. We'd have to beat Iowa. Illinois would have to beat Northwestern. Cal Poly would have to beat Wisconsin or else the Champs Bowl would have to choose us over Wisconsin. If both us and Wisconsin win Saturday, they'd be 7-5 and we'd be 8-4. However, a bowl can choose a team with one fewer victory (as long as they are better than 6-6).

I have heard, and have had it corroborated by some Wiscy fans, that Wisconsin would prefer to be dropped to the Insight Bowl rather than playing in Champs becuase they've played bowl games in Central Florida the past 4 consecutive years.

Having said all that, I still think we wind up in Pheonix.

Actually, I believe we need NW to win on Saturday. If NW is the #4 B10 team and we are within one game of them a bowl can select us over NW b/c we would be within 1 game and travel better. But the #4 bowl could not select Becky or Iowa over us or NW b/c there is a 2 game separation. Confused? Yeah, me too. Baically we have to take care of Iowa to begin with and then let the chips fall where they may.

This was discussed on the old board yesterday....

The Outback and Alamo Bowls do not have to abide by the "two win rule" or the "6-6 rule" if the Big Ten gets two teams into the BCS. So, Iowa and Wisconsin could be attractive to those games regardless of what Northwestern does against Illinois.

If we were to lose to Iowa, and Northwestern beat Illinois, the Wildcats would clinch the Champs Sports Bowl (against the ACC, for the person who asked) bid over us, since that game isn't allowed to take a team with two fewer victories.

There are so many things that could still happen when determining our bowl fate, it's kind of useless to even speculate. Just beat the Hogeyes.

Thanks Jike. I'm still hoping for the Insight because the Big 12 sounds more interesting than an ACC opponent. Although if Miami, FSU or VaTech landed in the Champs Bowl it might be cool to play them just for the name factor.

Just getting to any Bowl game is a major accomplishment for this program, especially considering where we were at a year ago.

If we take the same type of quantam leap forward next year that we did this year, that would put us in a New Year's Bowl after next season. I don't think that will happen, but then again, I didn't think we would be playing in a bowl game this season, either!

I think if we can go 7 and 5 or 8 and 4 next year it would be a drastic improvement over this year. Next year’s schedule is much harder. This year’s schedule was the best thing that could have happened to this young team.

Top Bottom