Chalk Talk with OC Horton tonight!

Can someone please go for me??????? One of the very, very, very, very, very, very.............nth, few times I would like to live close to the TC's.

There is a lot of criticism of Coach Brewster on this board, and I think the majority of it is deserved. One thing I have noticed and applaud is that he seems to do quite a bit of community outreach. Mason always had this arrogance about him, but Brew goes out and makes an effort to establish deeper community ties.

Mason always had this arrogance about him, but Brew goes out and makes an effort to establish deeper community ties.

For lack of a better term, Mason was not a man of the people. I met him once at the state fair and he looked very uncomfortable, almost sheepish. I think it was the summer after his failed attempt to get the Ohio St. job. There are some things I really liked about Mason, but you could tell he had little or no commitment to the U. I don't think Brewster will hold us ransom if he turns it around at some point. He'll either take the other job or not.

Details?????

Was there no chalk? Did he erase as soon as he put it on the board? What happened? Attendance? Some idea of how many running plays per game. If he stated 55, then we don't need to throw it.

2010 Offense:

1st down: Bennett or Eskridge up the middle for a 1-2 yards.
2nd down: Weber to Green or McKnight for 5 yards.
3rd down: Weber sacked for loss of 8 yards.
4th down: Punt

2010 Offense:

Well that would be an improvement then.

2010 Offense:

1st: Run up the middle for 1 yard.
2nd: Incomplete pass to WR's feet.
3rd: Run up the middle for 1 yard.
4th: Punt.

Originally Posted by magpie
1st: Run up the middle for 1 yard.
2nd: Incomplete pass to WR's feet.
3rd: Run up the middle for 1 yard.
4th: Punt.

And It's blocked! Blocked!

I was at the chalk talk and was very impressed with Mr. Horton. It is too bad that gopherhole has turned into a bunch of negative/uninformed hacks and trolls. Doogie has rubbed off too much on this board, and this is a big reason I rarely come to GH.

I was at the chalk talk and was very impressed with Mr. Horton. It is too bad that gopherhole has turned into a bunch of negative/uninformed hacks and trolls. Doogie has rubbed off too much on this board,

+1 Good to hear even more positive feedback on Horton. The more I learn about him the happier I am with his hire.

Originally posted by gophersjufan
"It is too bad that gopherhole has turned into a bunch of negative/uniformed hacks and trolls. Doogie has rubbed off too much on this board."

The Gophers poor play last year and the year before that and the year before that .....has rubbed off on this board. Doogie has nothing to do with it. When do we get better?

Am I happy with the way last year turned out? No
Do I think Brew has done everyone right? No
Do I believe that we are going in the right direction and Brew is the right guy for our program? Yes

I am an optimist who likes Brew and get sick of people complaining all the time, when this coaching staff is doing a solid job. The guys on the team generally love brew, so do the parents and people close to the program. Its just too bad we have some casual fans who cant be patient enough to see the big picture. All the negativety hurts the program. From the recruits that DO read these boards, to the fact that negativity is contageous.

Hey gophersjufan, can you say anymore about the talk with Horton? Did he say anything interesting or that he hasn't said in the papers?

2010 Offense:

No, no Art. That is your concept of offensive strategy, not what we'll see from the Gophers. You need to start separating the two.

We were not supposed to relay any of the talk, but i can say that i think people will be very happy this year with the play calling. Whether we win 5 games or 9, people will not be shaking their heads about strategy or playcalling like last year. I think Adam Weber and Horton are also a very good fit with each other, and i think Adam will have a solid senior year.

We were not supposed to relay any of the talk, but i can say that i think people will be very happy this year with the play calling. Whether we win 5 games or 9, people will not be shaking their heads about strategy or playcalling like last year. I think Adam Weber and Horton are also a very good fit with each other, and i think Adam will have a solid senior year.

Gophersjufan:

Is this what you are saying GHer expectations should be for the offense?

Offensive game practice/scouting/film/prep: A
Offensive game strategy/planning: A
Offensive game-day motivation: A
Offensive playcalling: A
Overall offensive coaching: A

Expected result of offensive execution with current talent level and AW injury-free all season:
Best: 9W
Worst: 5W

Does this all assume the defense is at least as good as last year? Or better?

PS Why the blackout on relaying details of Horton's presentation?

Thanks for your input!

No, i do not think Horton will be an A or flawless, as he will be doing some learning on the job. What I think(and i am no expert or have significant inside information) is that Horton will have a game plan for the year that fits what we need to do to win games. You will not see 2 yard bubble screens or 75 yard total rushing games anymore. I think he will be above average in all of the categories you listed, especially when it comes to stragtegy/playcalling.

I would say 5-9 wins is the range i have for this team in 2010, that does not include a bowl game.

I am assuming this years defense will be different, but about the same quality as last year. Probably more big plays, but more big mistakes.

I am making the assumption that the blackout is for a few reasons:
1) if he singles out particular player as doing well or not well, he doesnt want players to read his opinion on a message board.
2) doesnt want inside information or stategy to be posted for other teams to see
3) people who want the information should attend the event(i know some people are busy or live far away, but i cant believe these events arent packed).

Gophersjufan.

Don't be a stranger on GH. I appreciate well thought out and reasonable views. Don't let the recent influx of GH dingbats keep you away.

I think there is a huge difference between D1 ball and the pros. Most good coaches can figure out what players should do, only experienced college coaches know what they can do and how to make use of that. I think Fisch just figured he could be brilliant and the kids would execute to his brilliance. It just doesn't work like that. Now we have two solid coordinators that understand the college game and the college athlete. I think our days of underachieving are over, and we may start seeing some overachieving.

I think there has been a disconnect between Brews motivational, recruiting, and organizational abilities and execution for just this reason. It was lost in translation. I believe with Horton here we'll start seeing what we are hearing.

I think Fisch just figured he could be brilliant and the kids would execute to his brilliance. It just doesn't work like that.

+1

I am no football coach, but when you expect people in an organization to adapt to change you can't just throw it all at them at once and expect them to figure it all out.

I think there is a huge difference between D1 ball and the pros. Most good coaches can figure out what players should do, only experienced college coaches know what they can do and how to make use of that. I think Fisch just figured he could be brilliant and the kids would execute to his brilliance. It just doesn't work like that. Now we have two solid coordinators that understand the college game and the college athlete. I think our days of underachieving are over, and we may start seeing some overachieving.

I think there has been a disconnect between Brews motivational, recruiting, and organizational abilities and execution for just this reason. It was lost in translation. I believe with Horton here we'll start seeing what we are hearing.

Agree.

If these two experienced coordinators can develop the higher-level talent Brew & Co are bringing into the program and that translates into superior execution on the field, there could be some pleasant surprises at TCFB and beyond.

This all sounds very promising. Can someone provide insight into whether the improved coaching was evident during the spring game? I had a baseball game and couldn't attend, but from everything I've read the offense was underwhelming. I'm hoping that was more due to a solid D and the players still learning the Offense.

Top Bottom