Ch. 5 video from Pro Day

Wills moves much better than I thought. Have you been hearing anything about teams interest in him after today?

I wasn't there this morning... my understanding: he'll have a chance to make some $$ in the CFL.

Wills = 15 reps, weighing 350 pounds himself? Not good. How weak and out of shape must he have been two years ago?

I don't see him being a pro player (does the CFL have a practice squad? If so, I could see that), but he has clearly worked his butt off and is in much better shape now than when he first got here.

He was a solid player for us; not great, but solid, and someone I wish they would have redshirted. When he got here, in terms of his development, it was as though he was a 17 year old with only two years of eligibility left. If he had another two years to develop in college, then I could see him maybe having some sort of career in football. Unfortunately, there are many a players trying to get the same thing he is and I don't know if the pros will wait around for him.

Wills = 15 reps, weighing 350 pounds himself? Not good. How weak and out of shape must he have been two years ago?

I don't see him being a pro player (does the CFL have a practice squad? If so, I could see that), but he has clearly worked his butt off and is in much better shape now than when he first got here.

He was a solid player for us; not great, but solid, and someone I wish they would have redshirted. When he got here, in terms of his development, it was as though he was a 17 year old with only two years of eligibility left. If he had another two years to develop in college, then I could see him maybe having some sort of career in football. Unfortunately, there are many a players trying to get the same thing he is and I don't know if the pros will wait around for him.

obviously, 15 times is not the greatest, but you have to consider several things about the guy.

1. he is 6 foot 7. he has freakishly long arms. did you see how far he had to lift the bar compared to the guys after him. those long arms cannot be taught and are a huge advantage to playing tackle.

2. he moves very well for a big guy.

3. bench press is vastly overrated. an OT needs good punching strength and maxing on the bench does not necessarily equal strong punch strength.

What's amazing about Wills is... when he came to the Gophers, I was told that he couldn't bench 185 lbs once... so, to put 225 up 15 times is a nice leap in 2 years for him.

Yeah I read in an article once that he never really had a weight training program until he came to Minnesota. I see that he's working out with Joe Defranco (huge name in the fitness industry)... He should be a monster by the time camp comes around if he's invited to one.

15 is pretty low, but it isn't incredibly low for a project OT type 6'8" OT. For instance, Michael Oher (1st Rd Draft pick) only put it up 21 times and Oher he is type of OT that a guy like Wills would HOPE to project to. I realize that there is a pretty big difference between 21 and 15 on the bench press, but there are also a lot of big guys every year who get 21 and under reps on the bench.

Doogie, I'm not sure who is calling the shots over at KSTP to go shoot this stuff but thanks to whomever it is. I didn't see video from either 'CCO or KARE.

Glad you enjoy it... I've always said because of my passion, wherever I am, in this case Ch. 5, we will do the best covering the Gophers compared to our competition (channels 4, 9, 11).

The videos are great, they do such a better job of getting me all jacked up about football season than any article ever could (no offense).

Top Bottom