CFP will put the 4 highest ranked conference champions as seeds 1 through 4. Best Notre Dame can do is 5 seed, must win 4 straight games.

If Notre Dame doesn't like the arrangement, there is a simple solution - they can join a P4 conference as a full-time member.

ND can't have it both ways - if they want the freedom to schedule as an independent, and make their own TV deal, they don't get the protection that a conference membership provides.

you make your choices and live with the consequences.

This is definitely a ploy to get Notre Dame to join the ACC for football.
well, theoretically, in the 5+7 format, a G5 team could be rated higher than the ACC champion. it happened a few years ago when Cincinnati was ranked #4 and Pitt won the ACC while ranked at #12.

granted, that is a long shot, but it is possible that a G5 conf champ could be rated higher than the ACC or even the B12 champ - meaning that the G5 team would get the bye as one of the top 4 rated conference champions.

so if Notre Dame really wants to be one of the top four teams and get a bye in the first round, they would be better off joining the B1G or SEC.

If Notre Dame doesn't like the arrangement, there is a simple solution - they can join a P4 conference as a full-time member.

ND can't have it both ways - if they want the freedom to schedule as an independent, and make their own TV deal, they don't get the protection that a conference membership provides.

you make your choices and live with the consequences.
If they keep their co-op scheduling agreement with the ACC, and exclude Stanford from it, that gives them 7 games.

Drop 2 of the other 3 (assuming they keep USC & Navy) and replace them with other ACC teams. Problem solved (except for that pesky NBC thing).

As opposed to three straight games? Whoopty do.

And as #5 they’d be playing at home against the #12 seed. Shouldn’t be that much worse than taking the round off.

Media would love to force ND into a conference, but this won’t do it. They’re perfectly fine with this.

My understanding is the 5th ranked conference champion is not guaranteed the #5 spot, correct? The top 4 conference champs get the 4 byes but the 5th team will be ranked accordingly from #5-12?

This is definitely a ploy to get Notre Dame to join the ACC for football.
The top four seeds don't get a home game. Notre dame can be ranked anywhere from 1-8 and get a home game. It's an economically advantageous position for them.

Welcome ND and Stanford to the Big 10. Go to four 5-team divisions.

Say ND is Ranked #1 and is the #5 seed. They play at home against the #12 seed. They win and now the #4 and #5 (#1 Ranked team) play in a Quarterfinal Bowl Game. They win and now it's the #1 Seed and #1 team in the Semifinal.

People will complain, but I like that they can't get a top 4 seed.

But they (ND) don’t have to play a conference championship game?

Will any P4 have one? Seeing conflicting info..

Last edited:

But they (ND) don’t have to play a conference championship game?
Correct, and they freely admit this and do not hold any ill will with the rules factoring this against them.

They’re on record about that, as having a one game advantage in a sense.

They just want access to the playoff, which they clearly still will have.

The top four seeds don't get a home game. Notre dame can be ranked anywhere from 1-8 and get a home game. It's an economically advantageous position for them.
Would be interested to know if the CFP “owns” (revenue of) that first round game in a similar sense to how the NCAA does with the lower division playoff games that happen at home sites.

NDSU has hosted many for example, but I don’t think they get to keep the revenue like a normal home game, have to have NCAA signage everywhere, etc.

Would be interested to know if the CFP “owns” (revenue of) that first round game in a similar sense to how the NCAA does with the lower division playoff games that happen at home sites.

NDSU has hosted many for example, but I don’t think they get to keep the revenue like a normal home game, have to have NCAA signage everywhere, etc.
I don't believe they own the revenue -- even if they did the city of South Bend is then in an economically advantageous position.

My understanding is the 5th ranked conference champion is not guaranteed the #5 spot, correct? The top 4 conference champs get the 4 byes but the 5th team will be ranked accordingly from #5-12?

that is how I understand it. this year, the top-rated G5 Conf champ was Liberty from CUSA at #23 in the final CFP rankings. but in a 12-team playoff, they would have been the #12 seed.

complicating matters, with conference realignment and the end of the Pac-12, several of this year's top 12 teams will be in new conferences next year.
Washington #2 overall goes from P12 to B10
Texas #3 overall goes from B12 to SEC
Oregon #8 overall goes from P12 to B10

so - just for fun - if we re-do the playoffs with the 5+7 model while assigning teams to their new conferences, the automatic bids go to Michigan (B1G), Texas (SEC), FSU (ACC), OK State (B12) and Liberty (CUSA).

Mich, TX, FSU and OK State are seeded 1-4. Liberty is seeded 12. Seeds 5-11 in order would be Washington, Bama, Georgia, OSU, Oregon, Missouri and PSU.

so that is just an example of what the 5+7 could look like with realignment and only 4 power conferences.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

so - just for fun - if we re-do the playoffs with the 5+7 model while assigning teams to their new conferences, the automatic bids go to Michigan (B1G), Texas (SEC), FSU (ACC), OK State (B12) and Liberty (CUSA).
What does it look like if the champion of the Wazzou OSU conf — still a conference according to the NCAA — was ranked higher than #23?

Or to make it even more juicy, what if Wazzou or OSU end up ranked higher than the fourth best conf champ??

Maybe the CFP will just consider them defacto the MWC champ for the next two years??

Guaranteed it won’t be addressed. They’re hoping they won’t have to deal with it.

If it does happen — expect suddenly a Tweet from the CFP management committee (the presidents) decreeing a clarification as if it was known the whole time. In truth, they called an emergency meeting for a couple hours before and just made up the rule on the spot.

MPLS - under the new agreement, Oregon State and Washington State are NOT eligible for an automatic qualifying berth for the next two seasons. That is part of the agreement - written down in black & white. They are eligible to receive one of the at-large bids.

according to published reports, this was one of the factors that held up final approval of the new CFP format - the "Pac-2" teams were trying to see how they would be impacted.

and a quote from ESPN as to why the two schools voted for the 5+7 plan:

"For our two schools in the Pac-12 as it's currently configured, there is no question that five-seven, with seven at-larges, is better than six at-larges," WSU President Kirk Schulz told ESPN. "... There's no question our football coaches are going to want to compete for one of those seven slots, and seven is going to be better than six."

FWIW - Oregon State was 19th in the final CFP rankings - higher than #20 Oklahoma State - the B12 winner in my hypothetical example. but under the new system - which Oregon State voted in favor of - they would not qualify for an at-large bid.

as to what plays out next season with all of the schools in their new conferences, we will have to wait and see.

(and then when FSU leaves the ACC, that will impact things further..............) (SARCASM)

NCAA keeps 85% of ticket revenue. But then also had stupid rules like team store can't be open.

Thanks for proving me wrong SON!

Good info, as usual

NCAA keeps 85% of ticket revenue. But then also had stupid rules like team store can't be open.
I don’t know if any details have been announced, but wonder if CFP first rounds at home sites will be similar.

One can learn a lot from FCS. "Being closed minded only helps spread misinformation." Society of The Earth is Flat"

What? That ranks up there with the stupider things I've read.

Top Bottom