CFP scenarios

MplsGopher

Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_rankings#CFP_Rankings

VWx1oLx.png

- I expect Clemson to beat Notre Dame. That's what the ACC wants, and will try to make happen. That gives them two teams in the CFP, probably Notre Dame is #4 and thus giving Ohio St the Rose Bowl at #3 vs #2 Clemson in a huge rematch from last year.

- but if Notre Dame does beat Clemson, can you possibly include them with 2-losses?? Granted, both losses would be to the #2 team

- what if Texas A&M also loses ? That's the nightmare scenario for the SEC, as it puts them at risk of not getting two teams in. Florida will be out for sure with three losses. Tough to say then that either TA&M or Georgia with two losses (one to Florida!) deserve it.

- so who would be #4?? If Iowa St beats Oklahoma, again, I have to think they'd get it. And what a year it would be for them and Matt Campbell.

- but if Oklahoma wins, as I suspect they might, do they leapfrog that mess?

- what about Cincinnati, assuming they win and go 9-0? what about Indiana, if they were to beat a great Iowa team, and go 7-1 with their only loss to #3 Ohio State?? Why not two Big Ten teams?? Edit: IU has covid too and thus can't play this week

I guess the other thing is: the PAC is potentially in danger of completely missing the NY6.

That is unimaginable, and embarrassing for them, especially if a Sun Belt team gets in over them!

Factors in this:
- the Orange Bowl is contracted to take the highest rated ACC team outside the CFP. If Clemson wins, then both they and ND will be in the CFP. But if Clemson loses, they might fall to the Orange Bowl. If the latter happens, then everyone in the top 12 will get in a NY6 game. Otherwise, someone in the top 12 will be left out as the Orange will have to take North Carolina
- if Louisiana can beat Coastal, which would also immensely help Iowa State's case, then Coast will get left out of the top 12
- obviously USC has to beat Oregon in the PAC championship game
- if Oklahoma loses to Iowa State, then OU could possible drop out of the top 12

Top Bottom