CFN ranks the B1G teams (Gophers #5)

pk2

Reaction score
Collegefootballnews.com put out its preseason rankings of 2020 B1G teams. The Gophers are at #5.

5. Minnesota Golden Gophers

Be Excited About … a passing game that’s the real deal. Tanner Morgan is going to be among the nation’s most efficient quarterbacks again, Rashod Bateman will be one of the nation’s best receivers again, and Chris Autman-Bell will have a massive year with a bigger role.

Be Concerned About … the defensive front that couldn’t get into the backfield enough. The sacks were there from time to time, but there weren’t enough tackles for loss. It’s a decent defensive front seven, but there aren’t any brand-name stars to get excited about … yet.

The Season Will Be Successful If … the Gophers do it all again. They might not have enough to win the West, and there won’t be an easy non-conference slate to fatten up on like they did last season, but PJ Fleck’s program has to prove that 2019 wasn’t a quirk.

Their rankings:

1. Ohio State
2. Penn State
3. Michigan
4. Wisconsin
5. Minnesota
6. Iowa
7. Michigan State
8. Nebraska
9. Indiana
10. Northwestern
11. Purdue
12. Illinois
13. Maryland
14. Rutgers

I’d personally switch Michigan state and Indiana in their rankings
I’d switch Purdue and Nebraska
I’d switch Minnesota and Michigan

I Might actually switch Rutgers and Maryland too
But I’m always down on Maryland

I’d personally switch Michigan state and Indiana in their rankings
I’d switch Purdue and Nebraska
I’d switch Minnesota and Michigan

I Might actually switch Rutgers and Maryland too
But I’m always down on Maryland

I'm going to agree with you here. Author gives too much credit to football ghosts of the past.

Going with past, recruiting rankings and returning talent this seems about right. Minnesota has to have more unproven talent hit on defense than a program outsider can feel comfortable with. I agree with Indiana over Mich State. In fact I have a feeling Iowa could fall apart this year if they dont put wins up early. Us against the world works if there is enough to make you forget the inner conflict - victories can do that.

I would put Wisconsin ahead of Michigan. Nebraska and Indiana ahead of Iowa. Purdue ahead of Northwestern. Looks okay.

I don't understand why people are so low on Indiana.

Top Bottom