CFN Game 1 Prediction

tjgesquire

Team Ginger
Reaction score
Minnesota (0-0) at Middle Tennessee (0-0) Sept. 2, 7:30, ESPNU

Here’s The Deal … There’s a good chance this could be the best Big Ten game of the opening weekend if the Blue Raiders can rally past the adversity of losing its star. Middle Tennessee is coming off a ten-win season and is on a seven-game winning streak going back to last year and were able to beat Maryland while losing to Mississippi State and Clemson, and to start off 2010, getting a win over a BCS Conference team would do wonders for the program and the Sun Belt. However, star QB Dwight Dasher is ineligible meaning the rest of the team will have to pick up the slack (more about that in a moment). Minnesota head coach Tim Brewster is already on a hot seat, and the last thing he needs it to start off the season losing to a Sun Belt team, even one that might be the best in the league by a ten-mile wide margin. Even without Dasher, with a fearsome pass rush and just enough athletes to keep up, it’s all there for MT to come up with the win, while Minnesota has to establish right away that things have changed since an inconsistent and disappointing 6-7 2009. The Gophers have USC coming up in a few weeks, so anything positive they can do now is a must to avoid a rough start.
Why Minnesota Might Win: The pressure is all on Middle Tennessee. Coming off a huge 2009 and with everyone praising the Blue Raider offense all offseason, the expectations are there to not only play well against a BCS conference team, but win. While the Minnesota defense has a ton of issues and concerns, it should be more aggressive this year and should do a solid job in the takeaway department as the year goes on and gets a huge help with the loss of Dasher. Offensively, the Gophers are loaded with veterans and will hardly have a problem going on the road to start the season.
Why Middle Tennessee Might Win: Blue Raider defensive coordinator Randall McCray knows the Gophers. After spending the last four years at Wisconsin, McCray is just familiar enough with Minnesota to know what the offense is going to try to do and should have his athletic defensive front ready. Yeah, there might be a lot of talk around Minnesota about doing more for the running game, but this game will be all about the passing attack trying to click, and that’s going to be hard to do with QB Adam Weber under pressure for most of the game. The Minnesota offensive front should be better than last year, but it’s still going to struggle a bit after finishing 113th in the nation in sacks allowed. Middle Tennessee finished sixth in the nation in sacks last season and second in tackles for loss.
What To Watch Out For: Logan Kilgore vs. the Minnesota linebackers. Dasher was suspended indefinitely for accept a loan when he wasn’t supposed to, and now it’s up to Kilgore, a 6-3, 174-pound bomber from Bakersfield College who throws darts. That means the very, very shaky Gopher linebacking corps will be under fire to keep the gains off the short pass plays to a minimum and keep the yards after the catch to zero. With star defensive back Kim Royston likely out as his injured leg is still healing, the linebackers will have to make most of the big plays.
What Will Happen: Minnesota is fed up, and it’s not going to take it anymore. This won’t be a thing of beauty as QB Adam Weber will be under pressure for most of the game, but the Gopher offensive front will pound away in the second half as the ground game will come up with one of its best performances in the Brewster era. Kilgore will put up big numbers, but he’ll also throw three drive-crushing picks.
CFN Prediction: Minnesota 27 … Middle Tennessee 17 … Line: Middle Tennessee -4
Must See Rating: Season Premiere: Keeping Up with the Kardashians 5 - Eat, Pray, Love 1 … 3

Very, very shaky linebacking corp. . . . . Is the second very really needed?

Mark it down, a national media pundit has Minnesota winning. Maybe we are on the start of something new.

I always like their predictions. They put so much more detail into them. And they tell you reasons they might be wrong.

CFN has learned a couple things about the Gophers since their quote unquote 'preview' of the Gophers in which the site announced that H. THornton was going to be a key contributor this season.

You know what? CFN actually got one important thing right in this preview.

'Minnesota is fed up, and it’s not going to take it anymore.'

I don't always love Rittenberg, but he does some good work, and he has been spot on in questioning the vitriol that's been hurled at the Golden Gophers by the national media--and has mentioned more than once how bizarre it is for such doom and gloom predictions for a team coming off back to back bowl games.

Bottom line. I expect to see sly and angry Gophers on Thursday. And we all know what that means.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krVXRCcr2M4

I still disregard it simply because it comes from that site.

I'm not going to like it any better just because they picked the Gophers to win.

Bottom line. I expect to see sly and angry Gophers on Thursday. And we all know what that means.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8lXdyD2Yzls?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8lXdyD2Yzls?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

We sure better come out angry and the offense better establish the run and look like they mean business. We'll have a good indication by the end of the 1st quarter whether a senior Weber is any different than before. If we come out looking like we did again NDSU, Iowa and Iowa St. we're in deep trouble. I want us to be angry. And I want us to go in and whip that team. Let's hope that happens.

Here's my proposal:

We beat the living the hell out of them up front.

We are the Big Ten. We put directional schools through the @#$&(#$ meat grinder.

Studwell is getting ornery.

Here's my proposal:

We beat the living the hell out of them up front.

We are the Big Ten. We put directional schools through the @#$&(#$ meat grinder.

"Getting"? ;)

We sure better come out angry and the offense better establish the run and look like they mean business. We'll have a good indication by the end of the 1st quarter whether a senior Weber is any different than before. If we come out looking like we did again NDSU, Iowa and Iowa St. we're in deep trouble. I want us to be angry. And I want us to go in and whip that team. Let's hope that happens.

Agreed, we need to play with a chip on our shoulder. We started to do that last year at Syracuse but then let off the gas. Let's play a game where we just push the other team around for 60 minutes.

I hope we win by more than 10, but any win would be satisfactory. If we can win by +17, I would feel very optimistic about this season. I meant more optimistic.

Maybe I'm drinking too much Kool-Aid but I think our linebacking corps can be very strong. I'm curious why they are considered, "very very shaky."

Maybe I'm drinking too much Kool-Aid but I think our linebacking corps can be very strong. I'm curious why they are considered, "very very shaky."

Even more interesting is the view that they will be able to complete the short over the middle passes at will, like last year. With our "shaky" LBs that may not be so easy this year.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8lXdyD2Yzls?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8lXdyD2Yzls?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Now that is one pissed off gopher!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d1mw4ImMUmQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d1mw4ImMUmQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Why? Because all that people who write about college football for a living know about the U's linebackers is that 3 seniors graduated. "New starter" somehow equals "never seen the field" for some reason.

How can someone make statements like "very shaky" and Weber will be under pressure the whole game when we haven't even seen THIS team play yet??!!!

I look for the angry, not gonna take it any more team to come out, much like our team a few years ago who came out and pummeled Indiana.

Go Gophers!

"Minnesota is fed up, and it’s not going to take it anymore."

+1 hell yeah that's how I feel :mad:

Top Bottom