CFN.com - Ranking the Big Ten Coaches

I'd stay away from whatever he's drinking!

What is the writer's motive in making the list?

Did he make the list to create discussion? Did he make the list because he believes this is really how they rank? The idea for the list is a great off season topic. The number of new coaches really makes it difficult to rank people, in my opinion. Also making it a good exercise.

Two things jumped out for me. Brady Hoke is not the fourth best coach. He may have the second best job, but that is a different thing. Pat Fitzgerald is not the 9th best coach in the league. He does have the hardest job in the league. He'd be a top 5 guy for me.

Nice to read the mostly positive Jerry Kill comments.

Anybody else got Paterno last?

Paterno's last because they are looking at this as a list for a coach you'd want to steer your program for the next five years. That said, I will caution everyone here to take anything you read on CFN with a grain of salt. This article was compiled by their staff, which includes Pete Fiutak. He did something that Sid wouldn't even do. When writing about Notre Dame last year, in July, he went on to discuss the impact that Matt James would have on the team. Problem is Matt James had been dead for about 4 months. As someone who's written dozens of things on the net that have been all kinds of inaccurate or wrong, I get that everyone makes mistakes. But a "columist" who works exclusively as a college football writer either forgetting or being completely oblivious to the tragic death of a highly-touted recruit? Unforgiveable.

The guy who is in first place may not survive the next 12 months.

If I read something stoopider in the next 24 hours I'll be shocked.

1. Tressel

2-4: Ferentz, Fitzgerald, Pelini

5-6: Bielema, Dantonio

7-8: Zooker, Paterno

9-11: Kill, Hoke, Wilson (Due to lack of info on how they perform as HC at the BCS level)

1. Tressel

2-4: Ferentz, Fitzgerald, Pelini

5-6: Bielema, Dantonio

7-8: Zooker, Paterno

9-11: Kill, Hoke, Wilson (Due to lack of info on how they perform as HC at the BCS level)

I'll buy the last point being that these guys have not coached at the BCS level, and Wilson has never been a head coach as far as I know. But how can the author rate Hoke number four? Based on what? Last year being the first time he has a cumulatvie winning record and he used to be an assistant at Mich so he is brilliant?
I have never understood how Tressel, with more talent than anybody between the coasts other than Texas, can under perform in bowl game after bowl game and still be a great coach. Nonsense, he spends each year beating up on teams with lesser talent, and when he runs up against well coached, physical teams he can't just push around, e.g. iowa and wisconsin, he is lucky as hell to win or actually loses. I doubt there are five kids on either Wisconsin or Iowa's roster that T-osu would have recruited out of high school, but T-osu is lucky to beat either of them when they play. Great coach my ass, now we find out he isn't even the clean coach he was supposed to be.
I'll take Ferentz, Fitzgerald, Dantonio, and probably Bielema(ugh) over Pelini. They get a lot out of the talent they have, which Pelini could not say the last half of last year. Pelini is good and has a ton of resources, but I still think they will not dominate the division. But I guess we will see.

Totally agree with most on this board. How is Bielema a top 3 coach in the Big10? Also, Pat Fitzgerald has done more with less talent than any coach in the conference and deserves to be top 3.

He think he kind of pegs Fitzgerald's motivation well otherwise, I think he's dead wrong on his potential. Also, Pelini seems like kind of hot head who might burn out.

That's one of the dumbest articles I have ever read. Putting Brady Hoke at number four automatically discredits the entire thing.

Yea, he is definitely on the hot seat. Not for sure fired hot, but getting toasty.

For sure. I know Purdue's had some bad injury luck at key positions but they also absolutely kill themselves with turnovers.

1. Tressel
2. Ferentz
3. Fitzgerald
4. Pelini
5. Dantonio
6. Bielema
7. Hoke
8. Kill
9. Zook
10. Hope
11. Wilson
12. Paterno

I think Hope is the only one who could lose his job after the year. Purdue has a fairly tough schedule and I think Hope needs at least 5 wins to keep his job.

Bielema and the fake punt V Iowa

Bielema is in the top 3 and the fake punt against IA last year seals the deal. He is cold blooded.

Top Bottom