CFN: 2020 Minnesota Football Schedule Prediction (8-4, 5-4 in BT)

I think CFN is putting too much stock in "home" and "road" games. Assuming there's even a season, there is a certainty that crowds will be limited and a possibility there will be no crowds at all, certainly hurting teams which count more on big raucous crowds.
There's a lot more to home field advantage than the crowd. In fact I would say the fans are a tiny part of the equation.

It seems strange that we could go 11-2 last year and beat Auburn in a bowl game, and we follow that up with a 5-4 BT record? The Big Ten must be really good or CFN is wrong.

There's a lot more to home field advantage than the crowd. In fact I would say the fans are a tiny part of the equation.

Fair enough, but I totally disagree. Crowd is way, way more than a tiny part of it. There are other factors, but those are limited at the Division I level. Crowd is the single biggest factor on home field advantage in the Big Ten in both football and basketball.

It seems strange that we could go 11-2 last year and beat Auburn in a bowl game, and we follow that up with a 5-4 BT record? The Big Ten must be really good or CFN is wrong.
We lost an all American safety on defense. Last time we didn’t have him the defense was putrid

also, Minnesota hasn’t been over .500 in the big ten two straight years since 68-69

so we people picking us to be 5-4 in the big ten is picking us to break the mold of the last 50 years

We lost an all American safety on defense. Last time we didn’t have him the defense was putrid

also, Minnesota hasn’t been over .500 in the big ten two straight years since 68-69

so we people picking us to be 5-4 in the big ten is picking us to break the mold of the last 50 years
What happened 50 years ago is completely irrelevant to this season. Heck what happened 5 years ago is irrelevant.

What happened 50 years ago is completely irrelevant to this season. Heck what happened 5 years ago is irrelevant.
That’s all true. Yet someone it not being relevant has caused us to still not do it twice in a row.

why would anyone in the business of making predictions ever predict anyone other than the big 3 in the east, Wisconsin, Iowa, or Nebraska to win a division?

I could see the Gophers losing to Wisconsin, Michigan, and Nebraska. However, I think they will probably beat one of Michigan / Nebraska. A loss to MSU? That would shock me.

I could see the Gophers losing to Wisconsin, Michigan, and Nebraska. However, I think they will probably beat one of Michigan / Nebraska. A loss to MSU? That would shock me.
See us losing to Nebraska? We beat them last year 34-7 and their only score was late in the game. We rushed for 329 yards and TM2 only threw for 128 yards. I know we lost some players, but they lost JD Spielman, we are not losing to Nebraska. Go Gophers.

See us losing to Nebraska? We beat them last year 34-7 and their only score was late in the game. We rushed for 329 yards and TM2 only threw for 128 yards. I know we lost some players, but they lost JD Spielman, we are not losing to Nebraska. Go Gophers.

Nebraska returns their entire offense outside of JD. They play Minnesota at home on Black Friday, which is a huge game for them.

Recent results do not guarantee future success. If you had told anyone that Minnesota would beat Auburn to end last season after almost losing to South Dakota, Fresno State, and Georgia Southern back-to-back-to-back then they would have laughed in your face.

Nebraska has the personnel and the coaching to take a serious step forward this year. They have a decent chance of going 7-0 to start the season.

Nebraska returns their entire offense outside of JD. They play Minnesota at home on Black Friday, which is a huge game for them.

Recent results do not guarantee future success. If you had told anyone that Minnesota would beat Auburn to end last season after almost losing to South Dakota, Fresno State, and Georgia Southern back-to-back-to-back then they would have laughed in your face.

Nebraska has the personnel and the coaching to take a serious step forward this year. They have a decent chance of going 7-0 to start the season.
I agree they could start the season well, but their last five games are a gauntlet. Also, back in the Gutey days, the Gophs lost to Pacific at home and beat Michigan in the Big House. Who knows???

Exactly what Nebraska fans were saying about visiting MSP last year.

Lose to Minnesota? We beat them last year 53-28 and hadn't even won a game up to that point. We had 659 yards of total offense. Adrian Martinez threw for 276 yards with three touchdowns passes and no interceptions. He rushed for 125 yards and another TD. I know Minnesota has a new defensive coordinator, but c'mon.

Winning in Lincoln is never easy. We could well be an underdog in that game. Don't ever think it will be easy. I think we will win the game, but it isn't a gimme.

I find this extremely difficult to believe.

As you said, they return most of their offense. So you mean, the same offense that led them to their record last year.

Did they magically all take a huge step change increase in their abilities this off-season?? I doubt it.

I find this extremely difficult to believe.

As you said, they return most of their offense. So you mean, the same offense that led them to their record last year.

Did they magically all take a huge step change increase in their abilities this off-season?? I doubt it.
They were 5th in YPG in the big ten last year (right behind us). It's not inconceivable to think that with them returning a lot of players, their coaching staff gaining more experience, and us losing a lot of defensive starters + TJ, that they will be difficult to beat on the road this year. I realize you have a strong dislike of Nebraska, but try being a little objective.

I was at the 84-13 loss to Nebraska, so I like to make fun of them. But to say that they have their entire offense back other than JD, from a 5-7 team, may not be a positive. The Gophers are on a big upswing and Nebraska is not. Let's revisit this thread after the game. :)

Which we can do. How good was our offense when we didn't have Winfield on the field? Apples and oranges.

Which we can do. How good was our offense when we didn't have Winfield on the field? Apples and oranges.
With our old schedule I would’ve predicted us 10-2

but if you can’t see why prognosticators would be hesitant to pick us for back to back great seasons; I don’t know what to tell you

Top Bottom