CFN’s new bowl predictions (Gophers vs Virginia in Belk Bowl)

pk2

Reaction score
college football news.com has come out with the May version of its bowl predictions. They’re picking the Gophers to play Virginia in the Belk Bowl.

Other B1G predictions:

Michigan State vs Iowa State in the Cheez-It Bowl
Nebraska vs North Carolina in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl
Michigan vs Auburn in the Outback Bowl
Northwestern vs Toledo in the Quick Lane Bowl
Indiana vs Stanford in the Red Box Bowl
Iowa vs Kentucky in the Music City Bowl
Wisconsin vs LSU in the VRBO Citrus Bowl
Penn State vs Oregon in the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl (a New Year’s Six bowl)
Ohio State vs Georgia in the Rose Bowl (a playoff game this season)
(they have Clemson vs Alabama in the other playoff game, with OSU meeting Bama in the championship)

If this ends up being correct (I’d love for some statistician to calculate the probability of that), then that makes ten B1G teams in bowl games, with Illinois, Purdue, Maryland, and Rutgers watching from home. Even if this ends up being wildly inaccurate (very likely, I’d guess), it’s fun to think about actual football games being played.

If this ends up being correct (I’d love for some statistician to calculate the probability of that), then that makes ten B1G teams in bowl games, with Illinois, Purdue, Maryland, and Rutgers watching from home. Even if this ends up being wildly inaccurate (very likely, I’d guess), it’s fun to think about actual football games being played.

Bowl predictions a month before the end of the season tend to be wildly inaccurate. Bowl predictions in May are just fodder to get website clicks. I have always thought it would be interesting to track every bowl prediction for a team from the preseason to the end of the year but I am far too lazy to do it. I can guarantee that outside of the playoff level teams they would be all over the map.

This is actually not a bad bowl game at all. It used to be the Meineke Car Care Bowl and it usually has the #2 ACC team playing the #2 SEC team (after the playoffs.) The Big Ten is in the mix with it now for even numbered years. It's played in Charlotte and it's a New Year's Eve Bowl.

I would say if the Gophers finish 9-3 and do not play in the Big Ten Championship game this could very well be their destination. So -- not as bad as some might think!!

Sunday morning, 11:00 a.m. game (CST). Charlotte sounds good. Wish it was a little later though. Doubt if I'd make it to midnight after starting early in the morning.

This is actually not a bad bowl game at all. It used to be the Meineke Car Care Bowl and it usually has the #2 ACC team playing the #2 SEC team (after the playoffs.) The Big Ten is in the mix with it now for even numbered years. It's played in Charlotte and it's a New Year's Eve Bowl.

I would say if the Gophers finish 9-3 and do not play in the Big Ten Championship game this could very well be their destination. So -- not as bad as some might think!!
I don't know, it's become a middling bowl lately that generally matches up 7 win P5 teams.

The top non-playoff SEC team has always been the Citrus Bowl. Then the Outback, Gator, Music City, Liberty, Texas and Belk bowls were clumped together with the league office choosing which teams go where.

I'd be cool with the Gophers in Charlotte, but hopefully not Virginia again. One bowl against them was enough.

It's not even the Belk Bowl anymore, they didn't renew their sponsorship agreement

QUOTE="iowa, post: 1973853, member: 9828"]
It's not even the Belk Bowl anymore, they didn't renew their sponsorship agreement
[/QUOTE]
So...the bowl with a name to be determined later? Has a certain charm to it.

Purdue out of the bowl picture? Doesn't CFN know the great Jeff Brohm is their HC?
no kidding! The 2 BIG10 teams that consistently get the most favorable treatment, as far as expectations go, are Purdue and Nebraska, with Nebraska getting the most. I'm surprised they're not picked as national champions.

Sunday morning, 11:00 a.m. game (CST). Charlotte sounds good. Wish it was a little later though. Doubt if I'd make it to midnight after starting early in the morning.

You've got the rest of the year to Improve Your Best:)

This year will be similar to the 2017 season bowls. Rose and Sugar are semi-finals.

The Orange can't take a conf champion from the Big Ten or SEC, that's why Ohio State didn't go to the Orange that year. But that bowl is still very much in play for the Big Ten this year, if it works out that way. We're guaranteed at least one more appearance, and in theory could have up to three more (though we likely won't).

Top Bottom