CFB Super League Idea

Expand the playoffs to 24 or I could care less. Only way to have somewhat of a variety of teams from year to year. Otherwise, here is your 12 team field virtually every year:

SEC: (4) Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Texas
B1G: (4) Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, USC (Oregon some years)

ACC: (1) Florida State (Clemson some years)
B12: (1) Should be somewhat wide open which is fun.
G5 : (1) Representation should vary.

12th team: Notre Dame or 5th SEC team

Hard pass on that monotony...
I’d rather see a 16 team playoff than 12 or 24. 16 would not add another week vs 12 like 24 teams would. And with 24, the top 8 would get a bye instead of no byes with 16 teams. I think a bye is a huge advantage, especially since the best teams get the extra week to prepare, heal and rest.

I’d rather see a 16 team playoff than 12 or 24. 16 would not add another week vs 12 like 24 teams would. And with 24, the top 8 would get a bye instead of no byes with 16 teams. I think a bye is a huge advantage, especially since the best teams get the extra week to prepare, heal and rest.
Agree. Was hoping they would go to 8 with this expansion.

Good points. Plus, 16 is more than 12 so I could at least sign up for that. If eliminating the bye to level the playing field is the way to go, I would prefer to jump to 32 rather than back off to 16 but that's just the way I'm wired. Have to think most people on here would think that is way too many teams and even ridiculous to an extent but that is where I'm at.

Just have to get some variety in there, in the form of a wider range of teams, to get me interested these days.

Did a 1 minute search for next year's projected field:

https://www.si.com/fannation/cfb-hq/final-four-2024-college-football-rankings-predictions-teams

Exactly what I fear is going to be the case year after year. At least Ole Miss is in there instead of Oklahoma from the SEC in that projection. A tiny bit of variety.

Not enough to get me to watch much of anything beyond a game or two though. Would probably be all in for Utah in the prognosticated bracket above unless Liberty shocked the world against Texas...! Ha ha

So, professional football? I stopped following that years ago.
About 10 years ago I had all but abandoned pro football in favor of CFB, but because of the college football landscape, I have reversed course. Maybe something happens to make me love college football again, but I don’t see things getting any better anytime soon.

Good points. Plus, 16 is more than 12 so I could at least sign up for that. If eliminating the bye to level the playing field is the way to go, I would prefer to jump to 32 rather than back off to 16 but that's just the way I'm wired. Have to think most people on here would think that is way too many teams and even ridiculous to an extent but that is where I'm at.

Just have to get some variety in there, in the form of a wider range of teams, to get me interested these days.

https://www.si.com/fannation/cfb-hq/final-four-2024-college-football-rankings-predictions-teams

Exactly what I fear is going to be the case year after year. At least Ole Miss is in there instead of Oklahoma from the SEC in that projection. A tiny bit of variety.

Not enough to get me to watch much of anything beyond a game or two though. Would probably be all in for Utah in the prognosticated bracket above unless Liberty shocked the world against Texas...! Ha ha
Liberty just doesn't belong. The Wyoming's of college football would destroy Liberty.

The ten-team divisions would necessitate blowing up TV contracts. For that reason alone this is DOA.
The baked-in uneven revenue distribution idea (Ohio State > MN) is anti-competitive.
The ten team G5 relegation as proposed is pretty dumb. Who cares? And, baked-in lower revenue for these teams ensures permanent steerage status.
The schools would receive an “ownership stake”. The PE people involved in this made their money cannabalizing other parts of the economy. They, along with their recruited former and current administrator sychophants will want a significant stake in any management entity meaning mega $$ flowing to them instead of the schools.

In short, stay far, far away. Run, don’t walk away. The schools do not need their “help”. You’re sitting on a gold mine, guys…

I can't see a jump to 32 in the works. To me 16 feels like the limit for some time. No byes or extra weeks. Bowl system stays intact.

I think some sort of super-conference will be the end result. I'm not putting a timeline on it because it's going to be very complicated to get there. Big money in the college game has become bigger money and someone out there (more likely a group of someones) is trying to find a way to make it even bigger money.

Top Bottom