CENTERS

Both scholarships are already spoken for, have to wait on transfer portal in the spring to find out what openings will exist and what big men will be available.

Is a true center needed and does it make sense? If you are recruiting players to come play with a Center it would seem to be a turn off as most levels don't play that way. It would depend on the skill set of the center for me.

gets down to definitions. does a "Post" player mean the same thing as a "Center" or as a "5" if you go by the numerical route?

I grew up in the era of the traditional Center - Wilt, Bill Russell, Kareem, Bill Walton, etc. while they may have had different styles, they were all generally big men who played in the lane and defended the basket.

today, there are a few players left that fit that old model - but a lot more teams play with a 'power forward' type in the middle.

For the Gophers, Payne is more of a traditional Center in terms of his style of play. Garcia is taller but plays more like a power forward or even a small forward.

all depends on what the coach wants to do - and whether he can recruit or buy players that fit that model.

Offers to two class of 2025 centers.
Tee Bartlett (Henderson, NV) 4-star "91" 6-10/274 Nat'l 67/Pos. 9
Kai Rogers (Milwaukee, WI) 4-star "90" 6-10/240 Nat'l 78/Pos. 11

MN has better chance of getting Bartlett just based on the schools offering Rogers is much more competitive. All based on 247sports.

Is a true center needed and does it make sense? If you are recruiting players to come play with a Center it would seem to be a turn off as most levels don't play that way. It would depend on the skill set of the center for me.
I watched the NW v Purdue game last night. Pretty much need someone/something to challenge a Edey. But, like others, I agree it is somewhat situation. My advice to Ben: Construct a proper roster. Don't NEED a 5/center and then not have one available.

Top Bottom