CBS: Winners and losers from college basketball's 2024 transfer portal cycle (Loser: Minnesota gets wiped out)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per CBS:

Loser: Minnesota gets wiped out

Eight players started seven or more games for Minnesota as the Gophers improved from nine wins in 2022-23 to 19 wins in 2023-24. But six of them are transferring out, leaving coach Ben Johnson to frantically mine the portal for reinforcements as he enters a critical fourth season. – Cobb

Loser: Wisconsin loses two key players

The departures of Chucky Hepburn (Louisville) and AJ Storr (Kansas) leave big holes to fill for the Badgers, who struggled down the stretch after a 16-4 start. Hepburn was a three-year starter at point guard with a reputation for stingy perimeter defense, while Storr served as a much-needed offensive spark in his lone season with the program. Former Central Arkansas guard Camren Hunter and ex-Northern Illinois forward Xavier Amos are on the way, but the Badgers will need their returning core to increase its productivity. – Cobb

Go Gophers!!

They left out the most obvious Loser in all of this.....college basketball fans.

Only if one insists on feeling that way. I hope the current state of affairs doesn't last too long but I'm going to try to enjoy it for the temporary opportunities it presents anyway.

"six of them transferred out"
Ihnen, JoJ., and Keinys were not starters at the end of the year.
I believe Ihnen, Carrington and JOJ all started seven or more games along with Hawkins, Christie and Payne. That's what he said. 6 of the 8.

My mistake:
Carrington, Ihnen, JOJ and Keinys were not starters at the end of the year.

thanks for sharing, I am thisclose to switching to my son's team, Gonzaga -- been sticking with Gophers for 3+ decades, but this NIL stuff about does it for me

I remember a time, not that long ago when Gonzaga was the little guy who couldn't compete.

Then they hired the right coach and it changed everything.

I remember a time, not that long ago when Gonzaga was the little guy who couldn't compete.

Then they hired the right coach and it changed everything.
STILL talking about coaching??

I mean seriously...what would have to happen for fans to stop talking about coaching?

Only if one insists on feeling that way. I hope the current state of affairs doesn't last too long but I'm going to try to enjoy it for the temporary opportunities it presents anyway.
I'm all for trying to put a positive spin on things but this current insanity where it comes to roster churn and team management has really stripped away a lot of what made college basketball great.

Makes it very difficult for fans to get invested in teams and players when you have to get to know a whole new roster year in and year out.

Or even just competence. It was transparently a bad hire at the time it was made and we were told to have patience. Now it is years later and the team is in an as bad or worse place then when the coach took over, partly due to coaching decisions.

Don't hire a dude for a legit P5 job that has a resume like Johnson's. It was an obvious bad choice then and it sucks watching us stick with it.

It can and should keep coming up and pretty much dominate any thread that is not game or player specific.

Or even just competence. It was transparently a bad hire at the time it was made and we were told to have patience. Now it is years later and the team is in an as bad or worse place then when the coach took over, partly due to coaching decisions.

Don't hire a dude for a legit P5 job that has a resume like Johnson's. It was an obvious bad choice then and it sucks watching us stick with it.

It can and should keep coming up and pretty much dominate any thread that is not game or player specific.

images (22).jpeg

Only if one is a fan of repetition and tedium. Do you think there is a single person on here who didn't question this hire? Do you think there is a single person on here (at least among the regulars) who hasn't read what you've written a hundred times before?

Are you one of those people who enjoys boring others or are you just someone who is too clueless to understand that he's boring?

Why do you keep posting pictures of the CA governor on a basketball board? Do you have some perverted obsession for the guy?
He championed the Fair Play Act and the O'Bannon lawsuit against the NCAA.

He knew this would decimate teams like Minnesota.

His face should be shown. Instead of everyone blaming Ben Johnson 10,000X.

Top Bottom