CBS: What Minnesota star RB Mohamed Ibrahim's season-ending leg injury means for the Gophers offense

I’d be surprised to see Thomas or Irving. The staff obviously like Potts and Wiley. I’d say they like Williams third. I’m not sold that any of the three are above average big10 rbs, but as a group I feel they can all provide enough to keep the offense moving. Potts and Wiley are probably above average wrs which could add some wrinkles to the offense. This group is no worse than the rb groups NW has won the west with.
Maybe on a group to group basis you're right -- but I'd take Justin Jackson in a heart beat over anyone in our room (unless you are counting Ibrahim as someone in our group)

I think Williams and Wiley are good backs in a vacuum -- but unless we are going to run something other than inside zone the majority of the time I don't think we can succeed with them between the tackles. All of their highlights consist of either outside zone or bouncing the ball outside and beating someone to a corner (see Williams vs. Wisconsin in '18)

I’d be surprised to see Thomas or Irving. The staff obviously like Potts and Wiley. I’d say they like Williams third. I’m not sold that any of the three are above average big10 rbs, but as a group I feel they can all provide enough to keep the offense moving. Potts and Wiley are probably above average wrs which could add some wrinkles to the offense. This group is no worse than the rb groups NW has won the west with.
I think there is a decent chance we see Thomas, at least against Miami OH and/or Bowling Green, to see how he does. I would be surprised to see Irving though.

I have a simple wish: no more RBs relied upon for 30+ violent rushes into heavy traffic per game (plus pass blocking responsibility on some other plays). Big Ten offenses are big and brutal. Better chance of getting thru the season with a good running game intact if we give several backs the ball each game. OK to have a lead back, of course, but Mo is tougher and more resilient than any other back on the squad except maybe Williams.

Let’s not tempt fate again. From a season long strategy standpoint, a “pair and a spare” (or a couple of spares) makes far more sense for this team going forward than an overworked “bell cow.” If we passed 65% of the time, maybe a bell cow makes sense. When you run 70% of the time, it just makes no LONG TERM sense to rely too much on one back, no matter how good he is (unless you got no one else).

My guess: Potts is 1 and Williams (because of strength, speed, hands, knowledge of system and pass blocking competence) is 2 as the “pair” at least early in the season. I’m good with that. Better case is if the offense is tweaked a bit to emphasize the strengths of both backs (Potts inside; Williams outside?). Wouldn’t be a “tip off” if out of the RPO we passed a little more. If the receivers are CrAB, Jackson, Wright and BSF, and we use them in a balanced way versus the run, we could crack off 7 or 8 wins before we run into Iowa.

Last edited:

It's not so much the vision as the ability to quickly process information about the defense. Mo can slow down momentarily and quickly process where the holes are opening or closing and dart right thru that small closing aperture before the defense can react. He is low to the ground and is hard to tackle. He gains yards after initial contact. We saw his running game against Auburn. He can turn what is seemingly nothing into something by the time he's finally tackled.

Respectfully, I think all bets are off with Mo out. He dominated so much of our offense up until now. If you think about only another 10-15 carries a game to go around when Mo was getting 25-35 carries a game, it's easy to understand why they only went 3 deep. But when you triple the number of available carries, I think all 5 backs will get a shot to shine. There is zero risk in giving Thomas or Irving carries with the 4-game rule. If they aren't up for it, I'm sure PJ won't force the issue. But the next 4 games are an extremely perfect opportunity to see what we have.

Plus, there is always the injury risk at RB. It seems like pretty much every year but last year, we have had 1-2 backs go down for a portion (or all) of the season. If we focus on just using the veterans (Potts, Wiley and Williams) for these next 4 games and someone gets injured (knock on wood!), then we are back in a shit position during the meat of the Big Ten season in trying to work in a back with no experience. Now is the time to get these guys some game action.

Although it's only from 36 carries, Potts is averaging 5.7 ypc across his limited career. Behind that offensive line, I feel like he is very capable to take over as the #1.

I fear there is a Mo element impossible to replace: the intangible of his supreme confidence with the ball in his hands down the stretch in a tight and tough game. (See Auburn and Nebraska 2020.)

It's probably nothing, but during his radio show today, Fleck referred to Potts as "King of the Twos".
That could mean that they want him to remain in that change of pace/receiving role.

It's probably nothing, but during his radio show today, Fleck referred to Potts as "King of the Twos".
That could mean that they want him to remain in that change of pace/receiving role.
Didn't hear the segment but that King of the too's thing is a complement from Fleck and a phrase he has used to describe Morgan in the past.

Too Short, too slow, too whatever and yet still finds a way to succeed. Don't think it has anything to do with depth chart.

Didn't hear the segment but that King of the too's thing is a complement from Fleck and a phrase he has used to describe Morgan in the past.

Too Short, too slow, too whatever and yet still finds a way to succeed. Don't think it has anything to do with depth chart.
Agreed.

Respectfully, I think all bets are off with Mo out. He dominated so much of our offense up until now. If you think about only another 10-15 carries a game to go around when Mo was getting 25-35 carries a game, it's easy to understand why they only went 3 deep. But when you triple the number of available carries, I think all 5 backs will get a shot to shine. There is zero risk in giving Thomas or Irving carries with the 4-game rule. If they aren't up for it, I'm sure PJ won't force the issue. But the next 4 games are an extremely perfect opportunity to see what we have.

Plus, there is always the injury risk at RB. It seems like pretty much every year but last year, we have had 1-2 backs go down for a portion (or all) of the season. If we focus on just using the veterans (Potts, Wiley and Williams) for these next 4 games and someone gets injured (knock on wood!), then we are back in a shit position during the meat of the Big Ten season in trying to work in a back with no experience. Now is the time to get these guys some game action.
How many times did Mo keep a drive alive on a 3rd or 4th down conversion that Potts or Williams simply could not physically have done?

That's the actual thing we're talking about. What it actually boils down to.

Otherwise ... sure, Potts/Williams won't have as many exceptional runs ... but we'll still get all those yards. Just will take a few more, smaller players. But so what? Same bottom line results.

Yeah, I agree. Potts should probably have 12 - 15 carries with the next best guy getting the same and the remainder (10 - 15?) being split among the rest. I'm REALLY excited to see Thomas and Irving. We know what we have in Wiley and Williams. They're reliable, will do a nice job on 3rd down, and will occasionally break a big play.
Don't think we really know what we have in Williams because he has played so sparingly since his good 2018 season. He looks bigger and stronger now. When he hit hole from three yards out and scored the last TD, there was no doubt. He blasted three yards into the end zone with real power.

He needs a long look this week.

The three vets (Potts, Wiley, and Williams) aren't exactly devoid of experience, at least not collectively. They have 219 rushing attempts and 17 catches between them although 117 of those rushing attempts belong to Williams from his 2018 true freshman year.
Williams rushed for more than 500 yards in 2018. He had a game near 150.

Not much wrong with average backs running behind the best line in the league. And there is only one Ko Kief in America.

If the Gophers had to lose a skill position player, this is the one to lose.

Mo has certain assets that work well together:
-he is built low to the ground
-he can make a singular quick decisive cut
-and, most of all, he has fantastic vision.

But he is relatively slow (for the running back position), and, but for his quick singular cut, is not particularly elusive.

The reality is that with some opportunity, I suspect one or more of the other backs can step in and figure out how to use their particular combination of skills to be effective behind this offensive line. Moreover, you will see the WR squad flourish all the more when CrAB comes back. And that will move defenses out of the box.

I think CrAB/Wright are more critical to the offense right now because together they provide the Gophers with a reliable means to force defenses out of the box, and to take the yards effectively ceded by the defense when they do load the box.

Well, that makes more sense now, doesn't it?
See, I knew it was nothing.

Gotta believe that RB is an open competition right now in a way that it hasn't been with Mo in the mix up to this point. Whichever guy steps up and shows he can get it done will become the feature back and my guess would be we will also see more of a committee approach overall. Doubt any of the other guys would be a candidate to get 30 carries a game the way Mo was. But one of them will probably average around 20 once it is all sorted out.
Maybe pie-in-the-sky optimism but honestly I'm envisioning a host of players elevating their games to make up for the loss; OL, RB, WR, TE, even Morgan knowing that they are going to have to do that much more to fill that void.

It's a huge loss, but I really think it will result in some other players (not just RBs) really emerging and rising to the top as legitimate offensive weapons

Maybe on a group to group basis you're right -- but I'd take Justin Jackson in a heart beat over anyone in our room (unless you are counting Ibrahim as someone in our group)

I think Williams and Wiley are good backs in a vacuum -- but unless we are going to run something other than inside zone the majority of the time I don't think we can succeed with them between the tackles. All of their highlights consist of either outside zone or bouncing the ball outside and beating someone to a corner (see Williams vs. Wisconsin in '18)
I’m talking about the rbs they’ve had the last few years post Jackson.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t see what Irving and Thomas can do, I just don’t know that the coaches will play them.

I have a simple wish: no more RBs relied upon for 30+ violent rushes into heavy traffic per game (plus run blocking responsibility on some other plays). Big Ten offenses are big and brutal. Better chance of getting thru the season with a good running game intact if we give several backs the ball each game. OK to have a lead back, of course, but Mo is tougher and more resilient than any other back on the squad except maybe Williams.

Let’s not tempt fate again. From a season long strategy standpoint, a “pair and a spare” (or a couple of spares) makes far more sense for this team going forward than an overworked “bell cow.” If we passed 65% of the time, maybe a bell cow makes sense. When you run 70% of the time, it just makes no LONG TERM sense to rely too much on one back, no matter how good he is (unless you got no one else).

My guess: Potts is 1 and Williams (because of strength, speed, hands, knowledge of system and pass blocking competence) is 2 as the “pair” at least early in the season. I’m good with that. Better case is if the offense is tweaked a bit to emphasize the strengths of both backs (Potts inside; Williams outside?). Wouldn’t be a “tip off” if out of the RPO we passed a little more. If the receivers are CrAB, Jackson, Wright and BSF, and we use them in a balanced way versus the run, we could crack off 7 or 8 wins before we run into Iowa.
Said it before, will say it again, if Williams gets significant carries, our passing game needs to be top notch to win. There is a reason he only came in on passing downs last week.

We need a younger back the coaches were to nervous to put out for their first game against osu to break out if we need a dominant running game to win.

Williams only came in on passing plays? Whose number did they call when we needed a late TD from three yards out?

I have a simple wish: no more RBs relied upon for 30+ violent rushes into heavy traffic per game (plus run blocking responsibility on some other plays). Big Ten offenses are big and brutal. Better chance of getting thru the season with a good running game intact if we give several backs the ball each game. OK to have a lead back, of course, but Mo is tougher and more resilient than any other back on the squad except maybe Williams.

Yes, we've had a lot of injuries with our lone running back system.

Said it before, will say it again, if Williams gets significant carries, our passing game needs to be top notch to win. There is a reason he only came in on passing downs last week.

We need a younger back the coaches were to nervous to put out for their first game against osu to break out if we need a dominant running game to win.
Uhmm, Bryce Williams did score a rushing touchdown against Ohio State. Don’t think Potts or Wiley did. Without a war horse like Mo, our passing game needs to be top notch, and needs to account for 45-50% of plays called, if any of the backs on our current roster are to be a success.

Uhmm, Bryce Williams did score a rushing touchdown against Ohio State. Don’t think Potts or Wiley did. Without a war horse like Mo, our passing game needs to be top notch, and needs to account for 45-50% of plays called, if any of the backs on our current roster are to be a success.
He fell forward through a hole. Color me unimpressed. I liked his enthusiasm afterwards though.

Not much wrong with average backs running behind the best line in the league. And there is only one Ko Kief in America.
BSF can throw a mean block as well.

Starting to remind me of Spaeth out there!

And they are using some OL as TE for extra blocking, at times. Kudos to Sanford for allowing that.

When we absolutely needed a touchdown to stay in the game, the Gophers did turn to Williams on the goal line rather than Potts or Wiley. Color me inpressed.
It was not an impressive run. Yes he scored a td, but it was the only carry they gave him. I think the staff will use Potts and Wiley more.

It was not an impressive run. Yes he scored a td, but it was the only carry they gave him. I think the staff will use Potts and Wiley more.
Potts yes; in the long run, I don't know if Wiley will get more time than Williams.

Man I just don't trust Wiley. Never trusted him on KO returns and I'm on edge with him in the backfield. Hopefully Williams has improved from his freshman year. I would think he has and at least will give a 1 cut and go.

I'm excited to see all these guys get a chance. Bucky sounds like more of a long shot at this point but I'd think Ky Thomas has a legit shot to take this backfield.

I don't care who it is, it would just be awesome to see one of these guys really jump and take the opportunity.

Man I just don't trust Wiley. Never trusted him on KO returns and I'm on edge with him in the backfield. Hopefully Williams has improved from his freshman year. I would think he has and at least will give a 1 cut and go.
I am in the same boat. Maybe there is something he shows in practice that will be revealed if/when he gets consistent game carries, but he just doesn't look comfortable to me.

I don't care who it is, it would just be awesome to see one of these guys really jump and take the opportunity.
It doesn't have to be one guy, but we need to replace Mo's workload and as much of his production as possible. No one guy is likely to get as many carries as Mo, but I agree with you that I hope one of them seizes the role as the lead back.

Top Bottom