CBS: Top transfers for Big Ten teams (Minnesota WR Elijah Spencer)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Minnesota WR Elijah Spencer: Minnesota is Minnesota, so Western Michigan transfer running back Sean Tyler will play an important role in the Gophers offense. However, the thing this team has lacked on offense in recent seasons is an impact receiver, and that's where Spencer comes in. The tall, lanky receiver caught 57 passes for 943 yards and nine touchdowns for Charlotte last year, and Minnesota wants him to be a vertical threat for their passing attack.

Go Gophers!!

Fornelli expects this offense to still be really run heavy. I'm expecting a 40-45% pass rate and perhaps maybe even a little higher rate with the receiver room as talented as it is. I don't think I'm the only one with this expectation.

Honestly, if we run 60/40 or 55/45 it's gonna feel a lot more pass heavy IMO since our previous years were more run heavy than that

Honestly, if we run 60/40 or 55/45 it's gonna feel a lot more pass heavy IMO since our previous years were more run heavy than that
IMHO, with AK at QB we may see 60/40 - 40/60 offense. This will depend on what the opponents give the Gophers. I hope that the Gophers will be more difficult to defend against.

If the gophers are passing even close to 50% of the time it’s going to be a long season as that means we are not able to run the ball.

If the gophers are passing even close to 50% of the time it’s going to be a long season as that means we are not able to run the ball.
I disagree! IMO even if it is 55/45 pass to run, that's still running the ball 31 or 32 times per game based on ~70 plays per game (assuming the QB isn't getting sacked at a high rate). If PJ is calling less than 30 runs per game, that may be cause for concern!

I disagree! IMO even if it is 55/45 pass to run, that's still running the ball 31 or 32 times per game based on ~70 plays per game (assuming the QB isn't getting sacked at a high rate). If PJ is calling less than 30 runs per game, that may be cause for concern!
What was the split in 2019? That was with 2 NFL wide receivers and CrAB as the 3rd option.

I get that AK has more tools than Tanner but TM was locked in for a good part of that season. 2019 would probably be what I'd look at for splits for PJs ideal world.

What was the split in 2019? That was with 2 NFL wide receivers and CrAB as the 3rd option.

I get that AK has more tools than Tanner but TM was locked in for a good part of that season. 2019 would probably be what I'd look at for splits for PJs ideal world.
63% run in 2019

It was about 63/37 run to pass (43 RA/25 PA)!

That team had Smith and Brooks as well. Not sure PJ would be successful this season with no clearcut star at RB at that rate!

2018 was basically 60/40 run/pass with much lower total yardage overall. My guess is 2023 will see passing just north of 40% with yardage similar to 2019. So something like 40 rushs per game and 25-30 passing attempts with an average of 425-450 total yards per game.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the percentage breakdown but more what we do when we need to move it. Our style can really skew the percentages when PJ decides he’s running the ball every down when we’re up 2 scores.

I think our defense is a better now than what we had in 2019. I love what we had in 2019 with Winfield and Coughlin, but as a whole unit we are better. This will give Fleck additional confidence in going for more passes and big plays, that what he otherwise might. If the defense plays as good as I think they might, I think it may be surprising how much then end up passing.

I think our defense is a better now than what we had in 2019. I love what we had in 2019 with Winfield and Coughlin, but as a whole unit we are better. This will give Fleck additional confidence in going for more passes and big plays, that what he otherwise might. If the defense plays as good as I think they might, I think it may be surprising how much then end up passing.
Our defense will struggle until players get comfortable with their roles. Losing Trill Carter, Terrell Smith, Jordan Howden not to mention Sori-Marin and Rush is going to leave big holes to fill. I predict it will take us until the B1G schedule for them to gel enough to be consistently good on D.

Our defense will struggle until players get comfortable with their roles. Losing Trill Carter, Terrell Smith, Jordan Howden not to mention Sori-Marin and Rush is going to leave big holes to fill. I predict it will take us until the B1G schedule for them to gel enough to be consistently good on D.
So we'll be good to start the year?? I'll take it! 😉

Top Bottom