CBS Sportsline puts the Gophers a #10 seed

KyGopherfan

Reaction score
I have yet to see a bracket that has us out of the tourney, even Lunardi. We're not even the last four in. For all the belly aching around here, we're actually in decent shape. Because we're so concentrated on how are team is looking and finishing the season, we're not recognizing there's many bubble teams playing much worse than us and have less impressive resumes. I think we're in IN!

What the Michigan loss seems to have done is dropped the Gophers from the 8/9 bracket to the 7/10 bracket, which may be a good thing!!! This loss may be a good loss cause it will get us out of the dreaded #1 seed bracket. We may look back on this and say losing to Michigan was a good thing.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11233762

One thought.... These brackets might be projecting that we win our first round BTT game. If we lose that, I can't see how we'd still be a lock.

Totally agree KY...just need to win the 8-9 game in the BT tournament and I won't be feeling nervous at all going into SS.

If we lost the first round game in the BTT, I think we still have about a 60/40 chance of getting in. I've seen some say we'd have 25% chance of getting in, but I don't see it. When you compare the Gophers resume to other bubble teams that could take our bid, it just doesn't add up. We beat the Big East champs on a neutral floor and we have a good overall record with a high RPI. Those other bubble teams have jokers of a resume. Of course, we need to beat NU, but still, even if we lost, I think we're IN. We'll sneak in through the back door, but we'd still be in.

If we lost the first round game in the BTT, I think we still have about a 60/40 chance of getting in. I've seen some say we'd have 25% chance of getting in, but I don't see it. When you compare the Gophers resume to other bubble teams that could take our bid, it just doesn't add up. We beat the Big East champs on a neutral floor and we have a good overall record with a high RPI. Those other bubble teams have jokers of a resume. Of course, we need to beat NU, but still, even if we lost, I think we're IN. We'll sneak in through the back door, but we'd still be in.

I'd like to think so, but the Selection Comm. does strange things sometimes, especially when it comes to the mid-majors. A reasonable person would conclude that Creighton and Rhode Island just played themselves out yesterday, but who knows? Throw in a few tournament upsets and crazy things could happen. I remember one time after the Comm. gave a bid to a team that baffled all the bracketologists, I heard the Selection Comm. guy say something like "well, one of our members saw them play in person, and they're better than people think."

I've been under the impression for the last couple weeks that the Gophers needed win at least one of the Wisconsin/Michigan games and their first Big Ten Tournament game. Obviously they beat Wisconsin, but with a first round BTT exit it would be difficult to convince the selection committee that a team finishing the season with a 3-7 record is tournament-worthy.

That being said, I think a first round BTT victory gets them in. 10 Big Ten wins would be hard to ignore.

We always have to remember how we finish is only one component. It should only come into play when choosing between otherwise similar resume's. It sounds like our overall resume puts on the top of the bubble meaning several teams would need to leap us. since the very nature of bubble means mediocre plus some, it's not likely too many will leap over us. It could happen, and it would be much better if we simply beat NU but it's not over if it doesn't happen.

I agree. I think we have one last chance to secure an at-large bid if we beat NW in the first round of the BTT. Although, call me a pessimist, but I predict we get beat by NW and we'll be one of the first four out come next Sunday. Sucks!!

I agree. I think we have one last chance to secure an at-large bid if we beat NW in the first round of the BTT. Although, call me a pessimist, but I predict we get beat by NW and we'll be one of the first four out come next Sunday. Sucks!!

I think Gophers beat NWU if that is their opponent.

okay. you are a pessimist. probably how you approach life as well. must suck! :D

Here's where I think the Gophs sit

Right at this moment, I agree with the 10-seed talk. The Gophers have a computer ranking that, typically, is a Dance card. They could play themselves out with a loss in the first round of the BTT, but they would need help - i.e. mid-major at-large qualifiers losing their conference tournaments. That's how Minnesota inexplicably missed the Tournament in '96. (Wis-Green Bay lost their conf tournament but made the field as an at-large. Speculation had it that either Minn or Tulane was the last team out. Tulane beat the Gophers in the 2nd round of the NIT at the Barn.) More likely, the Gophs would play their way into an 11 or 12 seed with a BTT loss.

I think the SEC is going to get more teams in then most are projecting. For example Rivals had the Gophers still in fairly safely, but he had 2, TWO, SEC teams in. He had both South Carolina and Florida both as long shots. Based purely on thier resume, that is a defendable positon. But when is the last time a major conference got 2 teams in? And do you know who the chairman of the Selection Committee is? SEC commissioner Mike Slive. So, there's no chance in hell that the SEC is only getting two teams in, no matter how bad thier league is. South Carlina will be in, along with either Florida or Auburn (or god forbid Kentucky) whoever of those 3 has the deeper SEC Tourny run. So while we are still sitting OK, I really don't like our chances if we lose on Thursday.

I think the SEC is going to get more teams in then most are projecting. For example Rivals had the Gophers still in fairly safely, but he had 2, TWO, SEC teams in. He had both South Carolina and Florida both as long shots. Based purely on thier resume, that is a defendable positon. But when is the last time a major conference got 2 teams in?
LSU, Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida. That's probably 4.

Auburn has an outside shot with their last win over LSU and a strong showing in the SEC tourney for potentially 5 teams.

LSU, Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida. That's probably 4.

Auburn has an outside shot with their last win over LSU and a strong showing in the SEC tourney for potentially 5 teams.

Auburn and Florida would play each other in the quarterfinals if they both win thier first game. I think it would amount to a play-in game. Especially if Florida wins. Auburn may need more then 2 wins.

Top Bottom