CBS: SEC, Big Ten developing plan to share revenue with players in potential landmark change to college athletics

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Dodd:

The SEC and Big Ten are at the center of developing a revenue sharing plan with players that would redefine college athletics for the future, CBS Sports has learned.

The still unrefined proposal -- currently utilizing the name "Modern Model" -- would not only share revenue with players but also perhaps help settle the House v. NCAA lawsuit that goes to trial in January 2025. The antitrust lawsuit is a class-action complaint alleging the NCAA and power conferences have conspired to suppress athletes' compensation.

The lawsuit continues to be the top hurdle for programs in planning college athletics' future. Settlement money alone could cost universities between $15 million and $20 million. Athletic directors have been frustrated trying to figure out how to rearrange their budgets or otherwise account for a payment of that size.

ESPN reported Monday night that the Power Four conferences are in "deep discussions" regarding a revenue sharing plan. It is not clear where that revenue would come from or how it would be distributed.

Sources told CBS Sports the revenue-sharing idea emerged from ongoing talks between Power Four administrators. In February, the SEC and Big Ten announced a joint advisory group to address the future of college athletics.

House plaintiffs attorney Jeffrey Kessler had no comment when reached, neither about the plan nor the prospect of settling the lawsuit.

"It's something that [schools] hope they can take to Kessler and say, 'Here's something that we propose as the future model. Will you take this to settle as the future part of your case?'" explained a source familiar with the talks.

Go Gophers!!

There will be blood in the water before this is done. I could definitely see the SEC & B1G deciding to completely cut out the ACC & Big 12 and tell them to fend for themselves. The article says that "ESPN reported Monday night that the Power Four conferences are in "deep discussions" regarding a revenue-sharing plan." However, that comment probably isn't worth anything as I think the SEC & B1G see themselves as the Power 2 and what value is there in them pulling the ACC & Big 12 along. I think that is why you are seeing schools like FSU, UNC and even Clemson pushing so hard to get out as they know they need to get into the SEC or B1G asap while this is being negotiated or risk trying to get in after the fact and having to come into one of the conferences at greatly reduced shares.

I think the realignment talk could get real crazy again this coming summer as they need to get a lot resolved before this Antitrust Lawsuit starts in Jan 2025. The B1G & SEC have clearly seen what happens if you leave it in the hands of the courts & lawyers (NIL free-for-all) to force a resolution and I think they will try to do everything they can to settle this out of court to prevent that, at least for their conferences.

Last edited:

Query...What athletes would share n the spoils? Only football? FB and BB? Female athletes? Many Q's to answer.

Query...What athletes would share n the spoils? Only football? FB and BB? Female athletes? Many Q's to answer.
The implications for this class action lawsuit are massive. This will permanently change college athletics forever and I fear not for the better for a lot of student athletes. I saw one comment saying that the non-revenue sports will get massacred in this process.

See recent article that discusses a lot of this:

Once the hull of SS Amateurism was punctured by the state legislative NIL iceberg the clock started ticking. The schools and NCAA and even worse the collective parasites are now offering up desperate settlements (eg $30k per year or 20% revenue share) to try and make the House lawsuit go away but there will be more taking their place even if they succeed in bribing those plaintiffs. There’s just no stomach for a fight when there are a cadre of judges willing to prioritize Sherman antitrust articles over the unique attributes of college athletics. Black/white thinkers.

I’d say the players ought to go for at minimum 50% of revenue, tickets/tv/endorsements. Non-revs get nothing. Take this to the natural conclusion. A real world economics, legal education money can’t buy.

My conclusion is that all sports, male and female will get paid. Amounts may be different due to a myriad of reasons. If you paid 300 athletes $50k each, would come out to $15M. That could be an avg. Vast majority of athletes would sign up for that. Only top tier would cry foul, but in a union, majority rules.

My conclusion is that all sports, male and female will get paid. Amounts may be different due to a myriad of reasons. If you paid 300 athletes $50k each, would come out to $15M. That could be an avg. Vast majority of athletes would sign up for that. Only top tier would cry foul, but in a union, majority rules.
You forget the part where some athletes will still B*tch and Moan they aren't getting the same as other athletes and someone will still be suing to say they want a bigger piece of the pie. This solution can solve some parts, but not end the ever unhappy youngsters.

You forget the part where some athletes will still B*tch and Moan they aren't getting the same as other athletes and someone will still be suing to say they want a bigger piece of the pie. This solution can solve some parts, but not end the ever unhappy youngsters.
I can point you to union members now that meet that criteria, but they can't sue due to the cba. Will be one here too i think, negotiated for B1G and SEC. rest won't be able to keep up.

If the non-revenue sports are totally left out, it will severely impact future USA Olympic teams such as wrestling, T & F, swimming, etc. The NCAA schools have fed the Olympic program for nearly a century. It will benefit adversaries such as China, Russia, etc.

College sports are going to be dead soon. The NFL will flourish and the UFL and another that will surface will be right there to help the demise.

Money wrecks everything in college football. What will be next? Players bickering among each other on who should get compensated more?

If the non-revenue sports are totally left out, it will severely impact future USA Olympic teams such as wrestling, T & F, swimming, etc. The NCAA schools have fed the Olympic program for nearly a century. It will benefit adversaries such as China, Russia, etc.

There will be some belt-tightening everywhere but I can’t imagine the lower 70-80% of programs will fare well if athletes are suddenly considered employees, in addition to scholarship, room, board, and cost of living payments.

The revenue players would also be fools to settle for anything less than 50% of their sport-specific revenues and/or to join an entity that divides THEIR over the air and digital media rights revenues to other athletes. They will only have 4 or 5 years to make their money before they’re punted out by any CBA eligibility rule.

I can’t wait to see what mess comes next. Buckle up.

Depending how this goes I don't think it's impossible we no longer have college sports.
If you listened to the discussion on PJ's raise...I can't imagine college sports would continue at any where near a 50% revenue share. It is not going to get administration approval.

Free enterprise would organize minor league teams with age limits. Colleges move to books only.
Less people go to colleges and fewer fans go to minor league games and it all crumbles.

Or, the NCAA disappears...the NCAA gives back 50 to 60% of its revenue to colleges now. Where does the other 40-50% go? Can't give away the 40-50% you don't have. AD's hire a commissioner and the colleges get 100%. Then you have control and money.
NCAA Revenue

Top Bottom