CBS: Ranking the top 25 Power Five college football coaches entering the 2023 season (#24. PJ Fleck)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

PJ Fleck: There are two types of people in the world: those drawn to Fleck's personality and those turned off by it. No matter where you slot, both sides have to admire the results he's achieved. Fleck's Minnesota teams have won 24 Big Ten games over the last five seasons. Only Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, Penn State and Wisconsin have won more. He's raised the floor of the program and brought the kind of stability Minnesota hasn't seen in 20 years. He drops a spot this year, but that's less a reflection of Fleck's performance and more because of a coach ahead of him on this list who wasn't eligible last year. 2022 rank: 23 (-1)

Go Gophers!!

I heard an interesting anecdote on a recent Gopher Gridiron podcast. Brett Bielema was the Giants linebacker coach for Carter Coughlin. After hearing Carter’s glowing review of his time at the U under Fleck, it impressed Bielema. Apparently telling folks that Fleck obviously has a unique style, but he must be doing something right and has built a good program. Just like others outside of Minnesota, I’m sure he had his preconceived views of Fleck.

I'm really looking forward to CBSsports.com having Minnesota in it's preseason top 25 in July or August!

Top Bottom