CBS: Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh says Wolverines are 'as close as you can possibly be' to national title

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

When Jim Harbaugh was hired to coach Michigan, his alma mater, in 2015, it was with one thing in mind: a championship. The last time the Wolverines took home a share of college football's ultimate prize was in 1997, when Charles Woodson and Co. were crowned champion by the Associated Press.

Harbaugh, who is 47-18 in five seasons with the program, says that they are close ... really close.

He sat down for an interview in the 247Sports "Social Distance" series and shared his thoughts on the current state of the program.

"I mean, just look back over the last the last years that we've been here last five years," he said. "About as close as you can possibly be. But you got to put it over the top. That's what drives us."

Go Gophers!!

Clearly up and down with these guys. Don't think that this is the year for them.

As close as you can possibly be? Fascinating perspective. I guess that utter pasting his team suffered in the Citrus Bowl was just an illusion.

In his defense, they are as close as they can possibly be. 3rd in the Big Ten East is as close as they can be. They can't get any closer than that.
Yeah I grew up a michigan fan and I'm pretty confident they can go to championship game if they just dont give up 60 some points to ohio state like the last 2 games. Other than that their right there.

As close as you can possibly be? Fascinating perspective. I guess that utter pasting his team suffered in the Citrus Bowl was just an illusion.
Yeah other than them giving up a million points and yards to ohio state last 2 years and then showing everyone in bowl game how much better alabama was then them they're pretty close!

When was the last time they beat a top 25 ranked team on road? Besides that they are pretty close. Minnesota beating penn st and auburn last year might be 2 better victories than what Michigan has in last 2 or 3 years lol

The game vs Michigan this year is going to be great. Our offense vs their defense will be a great test for both

They need to beat tOSU. Period. We don't want Mr. Khaki Pants fired. Don't give Michigan a reason to steal PJ Fleck.

Then I guess we are just as close.

They need to beat tOSU. Period. We don't want Mr. Khaki Pants fired. Don't give Michigan a reason to steal PJ Fleck.

I really don't know that Michigan would be a big draw for Fleck.

But I am sure Harbaugh is feeling a ton of pressure given their record against Ohio State. If you can't beat Ohio State you are not going to survive for long as the head coach at Michigan. He is 0-5 with blowout losses in the last 2. If he drops to 0-6 in 2020 that will probably be the end of him at Michigan.

Hoping home games vs Iowa and Michigan this year are akin to the Penn St game last year.

Except, we sadly probably won't get to have that atmosphere due to cv19.

I really don't know that Michigan would be a big draw for Fleck.

But I am sure Harbaugh is feeling a ton of pressure given their record against Ohio State. If you can't beat Ohio State you are not going to survive for long as the head coach at Michigan. He is 0-5 with blowout losses in the last 2. If he drops to 0-6 in 2020 that will probably be the end of him at Michigan.
At this point, unless Day really blows it for some reason on the recruiting trail or in hiring coordinators/assistants/recruiting coaches .... I don't think anyone in the Big Ten can catch Ohio St.

They're at the Alabama/Clemson level.

The game vs Michigan this year is going to be great. Our offense vs their defense will be a great test for both
Many good games for the Gophers this year along with all the other Big 10 battles. Going to be fun season.

I used to like him when he was at Stanford and San Fran.

I would have bet when he started that they would have won a B10 championship by now and been in national championship playoffs, let alone beat OSU once!!

I wonder how many ore opportunities he'll be given

I’ll bet Fleck get the Gophers into the CFP before Harbaugh gets Michigan in.

Top Bottom