CBs in the Portal

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
Interesting CB just entered the portal, surprising Georgia fans. A legacy; kid’s father played for Georgia. He took a chance and skipped senior year in HS to start Georgia a year early. Looked to play some in 2023, but has a lot of talent ahead of him and several recruits coming in behind. Burned his red-shirt last year. Has 4 years of eligibility. Now 6’1” 185. Wouldn’t think we’d have a chance, but we do have a strong Georgia connection. T-Time 2.0? Maybe? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Ran a 10.76 100m time as a sophomore in hs so similar speed to Terrell Smith. I'm guessing he stays in the SE based on his offer list out of hs!

A wave of transfers out of Colorado after their spring game on Saturday including a few interesting DBs. (And what's going on in Boulder? I think they had 42 transfers even before spring ball.)

With 42 new scholarship guys coming in, I suspect a lot of old-team guys still have to leave to get to 85 scholarships this fall. Five DBs in portal so far.

Does Coach Prime believe in Year Zero?
No, not with his son at QB and promoting Travis Hunter as the top NFL prospect on the horizon.
But, we shall see if about week four he sees the new Year Zero vision? Or if they just surprise us all and win?

People realize that Deion is intentionally looking to get rid of a lot of the roster he inherited right?
Yes, and that explains the 42 that left prior to the spring game. 15 more after Saturday, so 57 players? And the breakout player on Saturday was a junior wide receiver that Shadeur was gushing about after the game and he announced his portal intent Sunday. Also announcing are last year's top WR and top RB. Could be just like PJ, where Deion isn't for everyone. That's a lot of roster spots to fill.

Yes, and that explains the 42 that left prior to the spring game. 15 more after Saturday, so 57 players? And the breakout player on Saturday was a junior wide receiver that Shadeur was gushing about after the game and he announced his portal intent Sunday. Also announcing are last year's top WR and top RB. Could be just like PJ, where Deion isn't for everyone. That's a lot of roster spots to fill.
His 2023 class has 48.

Sounds like a complete mess. This thing is looking like a disaster already.

I think he will also be in a tough spot with NIL. Would imagine many parents are sending their kids there to get the “Prime” treatment and cash paychecks/be known and it just isnt going to happen fro most of them (especially as everything right now will get shunted to his kid and Hunter)

Big difference between leading with, "Y'all didn't choose me. I chose you." And "go ahead and jump in that transfer portal".

PJ might have brought some of his own guys but he also re-recruited a lot of key pieces that were about to transfer (esp. Winfield)

Big difference between leading with, "Y'all didn't choose me. I chose you." And "go ahead and jump in that transfer portal".

PJ might have brought some of his own guys but he also re-recruited a lot of key pieces that were about to transfer (esp. Winfield)

I wouldn't like playing for Deion, and I still think his southern and religiously oriented culture is going to collide hard with the culture of Boulder and CU as time passes.

I wouldn't like playing for Deion, and I still think his southern and religiously oriented culture is going to collide hard with the culture of Boulder and CU as time passes.
He will leave in a few years before he wears out his welcome.

It might as well be Year 000.

Yes, but is that smart? I can’t imagine there will be great chemistry when half the team has never met each other.
They have been one of the worst teams in P5 in the last few years. They really can’t get worse.

If you are interested in following this type of stuff, I'd suggest looking at the Shakes Gopher fb account and the Marcus DPP account on Twitter. Shakes is John Schakel (sp?) and Marcus is Marcus Hendrickson. They are two of the personnel guys on the Gophers staff and both follow a bunch of hs recruits and portal players. It doesn't always mean we will offer a guy, but is an indication we are at least checking out their film. They clearly are looking in to a lot of DB's currently in the portal.

True, but they can stay terrible.
Yeah, and I'm not of the belief that Deion will be a great success, but I understand the move because Colorado really has nothing to lose. He has succeeded so far in making them relevant, for better or worse. The hard part will be getting results on the field, which I'm not sure Deion has the experience necessary for this type of job. Either way I'm intrigued.

True, but they can stay terrible.
He has the #1 ranked transfer class for 2023. Has a 5* and three 4* in that recruiting class. When was the last time Colorado had anything close to that incoming? He hired a very good staff. I think some on here are really undersestimating what he could do this season. That team will be respectable. 2024 and 2025 will tell us if it is something sustainable.

He has the #1 ranked transfer class for 2023. Has a 5* and three 4* in that recruiting class. When was the last time Colorado had anything close to that incoming? He hired a very good staff. I think some on here are really undersestimating what he could do this season. That team will be respectable. 2024 and 2025 will tell us if it is something sustainable.
Agree. If he holds the talents he’s recruited, and finds an identity for his offense and defense, Colorado could be formidable in 2024 and 2025. I suspect 2023, however, will be good and bad; 48 new players already and could be 55 by the time the April Portal closes. That kind of roster churn has got to be difficult to manage early on—if only for continuity reasons. Plus, the poor Colorado legacy players still on the team might feel as though they have the sword of Damocles hanging over their heads. Kind of toxic environment for some, I suspect.

And now, back to CB's in the portal! There's another thread on Dion.

Not a lot of superior appearing talent in the portal. Here’s one (haven’t looked at background, where trouble sometimes shows up in news). Rangy kid; basketball and track; 4* out of HS.

Top Bottom